Creating A Pain Cream

Beastmode

Has anyone used progest-e as a pain cream. I've heard Ray mention old stories in some of his interviews about people using his progesterone concentration on areas of pain (i.e- arthritic knee, etc.)

I know he always suggests using something like olive oil to help better absorb into the skin, but I'm not sure if he added anything else (i.e- DHEA.)

Has anyone experimented with this before or asked Ray directly about it?

Thank you

aguilaroja

Has anyone experimented with this before or asked Ray directly about it?...
Yes, both. I have experimented with both the Progest-E product, and out of curiosity, both homemade and other preps over the years. I discussed things years ago with Dr. Peat, but do not presume to speak for him.
Some brief things, in my experience:

Progesterone does have analgesic and anesthetic properties, at certain levels. As a topical agent, whether in vitamin E or other vehicles, it works better for intended tissues that are closer to the surface. For example, a knuckle joint is closer to the surface than the hip, or the deep lower back.

Second, for men most especially, topical daily progesterone will eventually accumulate, through gradual systemic absorption, to high overall levels. It is wise to be very cautious about long term excess progesterone for men. Search Dr. Peat's work, this forum, and other reports for discussions.

In the case of women if bio-identical progesterone is already indicated, topical use as a liniment is a bit less concerning. But the eventual accumulation of large amounts applied topically may still be a concern. The different ways of monitoring progesterone effects still apply.

Similar general concerns apply for topical DHEA use. IIRC, Dr. Peat and others generally suggest very small total DHEA intake, if boosting DHEA is helpful. It often only takes a small amount of DHEA oil to get to a restorative intake, if helpful.
-
Progesterone Pregnenolone & DHEA - Three Youth-Associated Hormones
At the age of 50, about 4 mg. of DHEA per day will usually restore the level of DHEA in the blood to a youthful level. It is important to avoid taking more than needed, since some people (especially if they are deficient in progesterone, pregnenolone, or thyroid) can turn the excess into estrogen or testosterone, and large amounts of those sex hormones can disturb the function of the thymus gland and the liver.
-
IIRC, the olive oil suggestion was particularly helpful in for spreading thick (viscous) versions of the Vitamin E oil in Progest-E thinly and evenly over more skin area for better absorption.

You could also read the threads for various IdeaLabsDC products (Progestene, etc.) for other experiences. I have no proprietary relation to that company.

The best pain relief measure is to remedy, as possible, the underlying injury or disease.