Creatine Fuels The Thermic Effect Of Feeding

paymanz

Creatine Fuels the Thermic Effect of Feeding. - PubMed - NCBI

The current obesity epidemic has focused a great deal of attention on cellular pathways of energy expenditure. While a crucial part of this process is diet-induced thermogenesis, the underlying mechanisms have remained unexplained. In this issue of Cell Metabolism, Kazak et al. (2017) describe a new thermogenic pathway in adipocytes that responds to diet overload, involving creatine cycling. These data suggest that this pathway might limit weight gain during overnutrition.

Unfortunately i dont have access to full paper curently.

Another one:

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(17)30494-1

Highlights

• •Fat-specific deletion of GATM depletes creatine and phosphocreatine from brown fat
  • •Creatine energetics supports cold- and adrenergic-mediated adaptive thermogenesis
  • •Adipo-Gatm KO mice are obese on a high-fat diet
  • •Dietary creatine rescues impaired adrenergic thermogenesis of Adipo-Gatm KO mice

Summary
Diet-induced thermogenesis is an important homeostatic mechanism that limits weight gain in response to caloric excess and contributes to the relative stability of body weight in most individuals. We previously demonstrated that creatine enhances energy expenditure through stimulation of mitochondrial ATP turnover, but the physiological role and importance of creatine energetics in adipose tissue have not been explored. Here, we have inactivated the first and rate-limiting enzyme of creatine biosynthesis, glycine amidinotransferase (GATM), selectively in fat (Adipo-Gatm KO). Adipo-Gatm KO mice are prone to diet-induced obesity due to the suppression of elevated energy expenditure that occurs in response to high-calorie feeding. This is paralleled by a blunted capacity for β3-adrenergic activation of metabolic rate, which is rescued by dietary creatine supplementation. These results provide strong in vivo genetic support for a role of GATM and creatine metabolism in energy expenditure, diet-induced thermogenesis, and defense against diet-induced obesity.

LeeLemonoil

Great find, thanks. Along with Masterjohns recent explainations on Creatines role in Methylation, it seems like Creatine is, given its price and availability, a very useful and interestijg supplement

OP
P

paymanz

Great find, thanks. Along with Masterjohns recent explainations on Creatines role in Methylation, it seems like Creatine is, given its price and availability, a very useful and interestijg supplement
Didnt know , will check that,thanks.

Haha yes, pubmed is cool,thanks.

griesburner

interesting as i planned to test out creatine supplementation myself. But what does this exactly mean?

As i researched creatine's side effects, i strumbled across many posts in bodybuilding forums complaining about heart arrhythmias during creatine supplementation and many said it would be bad for the heart cause of the water retention it causes.

Im not sure about that cause the mayority of the official studys doesnt seem to looked at this.
Does anyone has experience with creatine?

OP
P

paymanz

interesting as i planned to test out creatine supplementation myself. But what does this exactly mean?

As i researched creatine's side effects, i strumbled across many posts in bodybuilding forums complaining about heart arrhythmias during creatine supplementation and many said it would be bad for the heart cause of the water retention it causes.

Im not sure about that cause the mayority of the official studys doesnt seem to looked at this.
Does anyone has experience with creatine?
I have tried creatine before, and overal it was good experience in terms of energy,mentaly and physically.

Idk why those people have heart problems while using creatine, maybe they use too much?

Creatine is a natural nutrient which we make it in our body, i think 2-3 g a day is good dosage.

Btw from what i read on those bodybuilding forums ,many of them use steroids and mess their body's potassium level, maybe thats why creatine(an osmolyte) cause problem for them,especially in high dose, maybe by disturbing intracellular potassium balance even more.

They also mess their taurine level with those drugs,similar to potassium.

griesburner

Idk why those people have heart problems while using creatine, maybe they use too much?

That was my thought too, cause they often use loading phases with 20g or more.

These following negative studys i found during my research:

Effect of Creatine Monohydrate on Cardiac Function in a Rat Model of Endotoxemia - ScienceDirect
This one is only in rats with endotoxemia, but they found some negative effects.

Lone Atrial Fibrillation Associated with Creatine Monohydrate Supplementation
This was a human case. Only n=1 but they said he was healthy and didnt used other drugs except creatine. But how much he used was not clear.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_cardiac_autonomic_functions_in_bodybuilders
And the last is not so dramatic, but seems negative too.

OP
P

paymanz

That was my thought too, cause they often use loading phases with 20g or more.

These following negative studys i found during my research:

Effect of Creatine Monohydrate on Cardiac Function in a Rat Model of Endotoxemia - ScienceDirect
This one is only in rats with endotoxemia, but they found some negative effects.

Lone Atrial Fibrillation Associated with Creatine Monohydrate Supplementation
This was a human case. Only n=1 but they said he was healthy and didnt used other drugs except creatine. But how much he used was not clear.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_cardiac_autonomic_functions_in_bodybuilders
And the last is not so dramatic, but seems negative too.
Interesting, i wish we had full access to those studies, but yes high dose might be a factor.

griesburner

Two days ago, i must admit i took a small amount of creatine the first time (a teaspoon, maybe 3 grams). Soon after that i felt very warm (good feeling) and i felt my gut working better.
But then my heart rate was increasing (i know that could be a good sign, cause my heart rate is usually about only 65bmp) but it feld not so comfortable to me. This increased heart rate lastet not only hours but over a day.
It could have been coindicence for sure, but after i read some of this alarming posts in some forums and this studys i was too afraid to try it again, even if i thought it could have been positive response of my body.