Cravings

jaywills

For those who follow a strict or strictish Peat inspired diet, how do you manage cravings?

1) How often do you crave certain foods - this being peat approved or the non-approved?
2) If non approved do you ignore the craving or do you 'cheat'?
3) When do you find cravings occur most often?
4) How far do you believe a craving is your bodies natural intuition expressing itself? I.e. Do you believe that if your body requires Magesium, you will naturally crave an orange or equivalent
5) Have your cravings changed since eating along pears guidelines?

Giraffe

Cravings - How to interpret them?

[moderator edit: topics merged]

When I crave a particular food this means that there is a need for something that is found in that food, and I suspect that sometimes I could find better food options if I knew what it is what my body needs.

Pre-Peat when I opened the fridge hoping the fridge would make a suggestion on how to meet my non-specific appetite, I often picked salty cheese. - sodium?

I have phases when I eat half a bar of dark chocolate a day. - magnesium?

There's been a time when I wanted Ceylon cinnamon in my breakfast every morning, which was strange as normally I do not particularly like the taste of cinnamon. - manganese?

When it comes to fruits or jams I very much favor everything yellow, but my body cannot handle the carotenes that are abundant in yellow fruits. - ?

When I was very ill and did not eat much, the only food my bowel seemed to love was nuts.- calories?

Do you have phases when you crave a particular food? And what's even more interesting, do you know what certain cravings could mean? Like to share?

PS: No one craves oysters if he has never eaten them, so eating a lot of different foods will help to get more target-aimed cravings. I got mixed results with trying new foods: some foods unpalatable / others rewarding.

Peata

Re: Cravings - How to interpret them?

Potato chips - salt? (I finally found chips cooked in coconut oil so I can indulge in chips again, yay)
Chocolate - sugar, fat, maybe magnesium. I eat some chocolate almost everyday, but when I wasn't I would still get craving for it premenstrually.

Not a craving 99.9% of the time, but that one time I got wiped out after blood donation, I craved liver for a couple days - iron, I assume

Giraffe

Peata said:
Not a craving 99.9% of the time, but that one time I got wiped out after blood donation, I craved liver for a couple days - iron, I assume
I guess I would crave blood pudding if I was lacking iron. I like it with sauerkraut, though only have it every other year now.

In a thread about vitamin B12 I stumled accross this today:
I wonder if that's why you've been craving meat and eggs? I noticed when I started craving and eating lots of meat, the numbness in my big toe started to go away.
Someone else mentioned that she was not allowed to donate blood when she was B12 deficient.

Nicholas

yeah, i think that's one aspect of perception, and probably the easiest. even combo cravings. If i eat something high in phosphorous, i crave calcium as well. wonder why milk and cereal became such a popular staple? most of the world is listening to their cravings. there's usually a reason people do things. the harder parts for most people is probably things relating to using food to regulate blood sugar or how much to eat. those things are just as equally important to perceive but, i think, more challenging.

the harder aspect for me has been decoding thirst. the feeling of thirst can mean all kinds of things for me and isn't always concrete....like it could be for sodium (sodium), cocoa (magnesium?), calcium (calcium), or even shellfish (copper/taurine). The electrolyte balancing i find particularly difficult. i started taking taurine lately and it's made me crave beef big time.

Dayman

Nicholas said:
yeah, i think that's one aspect of perception, and probably the easiest. even combo cravings. If i eat something high in phosphorous, i crave calcium as well. wonder why milk and cereal became such a popular staple? most of the world is listening to their cravings. there's usually a reason people do things. the harder parts for most people is probably things relating to using food to regulate blood sugar or how much to eat. those things are just as equally important to perceive but, i think, more challenging.

the harder aspect for me has been decoding thirst. the feeling of thirst can mean all kinds of things for me and isn't always concrete....like it could be for sodium (sodium), cocoa (magnesium?), calcium (calcium), or even shellfish (copper/taurine). The electrolyte balancing i find particularly difficult. i started taking taurine lately and it's made me crave beef big time.

That's an interesting point regarding milk and cereal. Along the same line roast meats are often paired with sweet condiments. eg Pork and apple, lamb and mint sauce, beef and red currant jelly.

Nicholas

Peateat said:
Nicholas said:

That's an interesting point regarding milk and cereal. Along the same line roast meats are often paired with sweet condiments. eg Pork and apple, lamb and mint sauce, beef and red currant jelly.

i always thought the pairing of lamb and tzatziki was spot-on, too.

Giraffe

Nicholas said:
I also find thirst tricky sometimes. I recently had this type of thirst where you think that any liquid you consume would make you feel dehydrahed. Then a childhood memory came up... I loved very sweet hot mint tea as a kid. I prepared a mug of it, and it seemed this was the solution. This combo is widespread in Arab countries (they add mint to very strong black tea and sweeten it a lot), so there must be something to it, but I don't know what it is.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals