Craving Salt On Progesterone

scarlettsmum

I think I came across this here before and can't find it anymore, but can someone please explain why I constantly crave salt whilst supplementing progesterone? (Progest e)
Thank you!

sweetpeat

I think it has to do with progesterone being an aldosterone antagonist and therefore can cause low sodium. Aldosterone helps balance sodium. You could search the forum for aldosterone and progesterone for a more technical explanation. I'm pretty sure haidut has posted studies.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I think it has to do with progesterone being an aldosterone antagonist and therefore can cause low sodium. Aldosterone helps balance sodium. You could search the forum for aldosterone and progesterone for a more technical explanation. I'm pretty sure haidut has posted studies.
Thanks, I tried searching for more info, but couldn't find much.

sweetpeat

I found this quote from this post which may be helpful: Progesterone In Men
So, progesterone and DHEA are cortisol antagonists and progesterone and its metabolites are weak agonists of the aldosterone receptor in low concentrations and antagonists in high concentrations. Btw, the latter study suggests that one needs to be careful with higher progesterone doses since it may affect sodium / magnesium balance.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I found this quote from this post which may be helpful: Progesterone In Men
Thank you for that! I don't think I take much, I aim for 2 doses of 10-15 mg a day, ovulation to menstruation. I make sure to eat salt to taste but what surprised me was that I find finger dipped in salt palatable and I didn't even need to chase it with a drink. I also enjoy salting my drinks now, whereas before I felt it spoilt the taste.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals