Cracked Heels Anyone?

I developed cracked heels around 10 or so years ago, when I started to increase my activity level. Don't know if it was tied in.

The only time it got better was when I started some new probiotics. Then it got worse again (I'm no longer taking the probiotic). So that would indicate it is tied in to gut issues, wouldn't it?

Now it's bad again. I am hoping in the longer run as I raise my temps and HR, it will get better.

Any ideas or experiences?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Mittir

Calcium cured my cracked heel. It took about 2 months. If i lower my calcium intake for few weeks
it starts coming back. I try to get at least 2000 mg of calcium with phosphorus intake lower than calcium.
Milk alone does not totally work. I get about extra 500 mg of calcium from calcium oxide dissolved in apple juice.
I increased calcium intake in addition to all other RP guideline. Niacinamide and vitamin E also help with
skin quality.

tara

For emergency repair, I found petroleum jelly and a pair of socks for a couple of days helpful, if it gets bad enough to be painful.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Tara's post reminded me of homemade salve I make using real cocoa butter, coconut oil or jojoba (EVOO would work too) combined with beeswax. It's nice for chapped skin/lips and other dry skin areas so it might help cracked heels too. I put the oil and beeswax in a double boiler and melt and combine until it's mixed well and then pour it into a glass jar to solidify. One tablespoon of beeswax per 4-5 tablespoons of oil makes a nice salve in my experience.

tara

Tara's post reminded me of homemade salve I make using real cocoa butter, coconut oil or jojoba (EVOO would work too) combined with beeswax. It's nice for chapped skin/lips and other dry skin areas so it might help cracked heels too. I put the oil and beeswax in a double boiler and melt and combine until it's mixed well and then pour it into a glass jar to solidify. One tablespoon of beeswax per 4-5 tablespoons of oil makes a nice salve in my experience.
I've used sth like that too, but without the jojoba. Good stuff.

I read once that cracked heels come from a congested liver. I haven't ever been able to verify this anywhere, but I always wondered if it was true. Anyone?

mujuro

Have you tried physically abrading it with a stone or file, every second day until you get down to the lower layers or until the cracks are no longer visible? I figure THEN it would be a good time to apply oils or dermal solutions. Is it not after all just a buildup of corneocytes? I have calluses from weightlifting and there's really nothing that can be done about them other than filing them back or shaving them off with a box cutter. If this isn't done, they build up and build up and then tear off when you do a very heavy lift, which isn't pretty or comfortable.

OP
ecstatichamster
Have you tried physically abrading it with a stone or file, every second day until you get down to the lower layers or until the cracks are no longer visible? I figure THEN it would be a good time to apply oils or dermal solutions. Is it not after all just a buildup of corneocytes? I have calluses from weightlifting and there's really nothing that can be done about them other than filing them back or shaving them off with a box cutter. If this isn't done, they build up and build up and then tear off when you do a very heavy lift, which isn't pretty or comfortable.

Yes I have. Just makes it hurt. And bleed.

sm1693

Calcium cured my cracked heel. It took about 2 months. If i lower my calcium intake for few weeks
it starts coming back. I try to get at least 2000 mg of calcium with phosphorus intake lower than calcium.
Milk alone does not totally work. I get about extra 500 mg of calcium from calcium oxide dissolved in apple juice.
I increased calcium intake in addition to all other RP guideline. Niacinamide and vitamin E also help with
skin quality.
Are you thinking the oxide complexes with something in the juice to make it benign? I was under the impression that the human gut has evolved to be irritated by anything oxidized.

Matt1951

I think these kinds of skin issues are often related to vitamin A deficiency.
I had terrible cracking on my feet over the past year, not just the heel. I made two changes, which appear to be working well. Since I made two changes at the same time, I can't say for sure which is the answer. First, I eat a 1/4 inch slice of liverwurst everyday, for 5000 IU vitamin A. Peat would recommend beef liver, but I can't stand the taste of beef liver. Beef liver would be better if you can stand eating it. I had been eating vegetable sources of vitamin A, but perhaps was not converting the beta carotene. Or maybe it is other nutrients in the liver, but it works. Also, I started adding magnesium to my diet, largely from blackstrap molasses. Again, Ray Peat does not recommend molasses, as being potentially allergic. But the two changes are working. None of the creams for cracked heels worked for me. Some of the skin on one of my feet is still rough and ugly, but I no longer get the bleeding cracks I was getting that made walking painful. Hopefully I will get continued improvement over time.

thegiantess

I have to believe it's mostly related to activity. My feet look like they've been used if I don't maintain them.. Meaning they're rough and my skin is very thick on my soles. For most of my life I worked on my feet or pursued athletics. I know several people who have been mostly sedentary and have never really worked hard and they have soft feet. Your skin learns to take abuse by thickening. As others have mentioned, grease them up!

mujuro

I noticed something peculiar on my feet. My right heel has cracks, and the skin is WAY harder than my left, which has no cracks at all. My left is rather soft in comparison. Hard to explain what's going on there. I can't think of any activity or any kind of exposure that focues on my right foot to the exclusion of my left, other than driving, and that's hardly intensive. The ONLY thing I can think of is that sometimes my pelvic muscles pull my right femur up and shorten my right leg by about 1cm, placing more force on the right foot.

Mittir

Are you thinking the oxide complexes with something in the juice to make it benign? I was under the impression that the human gut has evolved to be irritated by anything oxidized.

Calcium hydroxide is a strong base, which is quite corrosive. Adding base to apple juice is
neutralized by citric acid, malic acid and ascorbic acid, resulting in calcium citrate, malate
and ascorbate, which have good absorption rate. Calcium hydroxide can be neutralized
by stomach acid too, but i think it is safe in only small amount.
Calcium hydroxide is added in nixtamalizing corn, which increases calcium content.
Some calcium supplements also use calcium oxide and hydroxide.

I think there are different kind of oxidations, some are harmful and some are harmless.
We produce energy in cell through oxidation process and cell is also damaged from free radicals
and oxidants. I do not think oxides of calcium, magnesium, zinc ect are irritating to gut.
But, i remember RP recommending against magnesium oxide for it's poor absorption rate and
i think he also said something about avoiding zinc oxide, i am not sure about it.

ken

What about heel balm, I get the 40 percent urea one. Flexitol. It will repair most anything. But dry skin and cracking soles and fingers seems seasonal. Something about our seasonal rhythms.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals