CPAP Humidifier & H202 (Hydrogen Peroxide)

bookshelf

Has anyone every tried putting in a few drops of food grade H202 in their CPAP humidifier to offer support in instances such as chest congestion or improving breathing in general? Nebulizing it seems to be going around as a treatment for upper respiratory illnesses but I have to wonder if this would be an alternative delivery mechanism and, if so, what the ratio would be for a small quantity (since humidifiers don't hold a lot of water).

akgrrrl

I use just a few drops of peroxide and 3drops certified therapeutic grade eucalyptus radiata or eucalyptus globulus, and 2drops peppermint. Way super strong at first then zzzzzzz

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

I use just a few drops of peroxide and 3drops certified therapeutic grade eucalyptus radiata or eucalyptus globulus, and 2drops peppermint. Way super strong at first then zzzzzzz
Hadn't thought about adding any essential oils - I bet that is refreshing! Makes me think of the York peppermint patty commercials from back in the day.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HItVDGs49o
. Do you do this all the time or only with congestion or cold/flu season?

Lollipop2

How do you use them? In a CPAP humidifier?

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Wondering about this remark: "Do not mix the peroxide with straight distilled water, as this could potentially cause physiological damage. You need the salt in there. You can, however, make your saline using distilled water." source: Nebulized Hydrogen Peroxide — A Simple Remedy for COVID-19 - Spirit of Change Magazine | Holistic New England

If we use saline in our humidifiers, it will cause a build up of the salt/minerals and can ruin the machine. Is HP w/o saline in distilled really that dangerous? Why exactly would it be? Also, would simply using less (say 2 drops vs 3 ccs) be a better and safer but still effective balance/treatment?

akgrrrl

I have been using distilled exactly for the reason you describe, dont know about the saline. It seems to dissolve evenly with the EOs in my cpap water tank. I rinse out my hose and nosepiece with peroxide when I shower in the morning, and hang it up to dry. Every 3 or 4 days I refresh the cpap water chamber by filling to the indicater line, more drops peroxide, more oils.

akgrrrl

How do you use them? In a CPAP humidifier?
I do have a cool mist humidifier the kind with huge honeycomb paper filters inside, and what a method for EOs in a room. Wow.
But back to the cpap I had ruined a lot of nosepieces and hoses, and the air intake filter by trying oils everywhere, snapping apart junctions, melted an air intake filter pad once, nosepiece turned yellow from myrrh etc. Jeez-O-Peat I love to inhale aromatic botanicals direct to my brain! For about 3years now the distilled water, peroxide and oils just dial it in for me.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

I have been using distilled exactly for the reason you describe, dont know about the saline. It seems to dissolve evenly with the EOs in my cpap water tank. I rinse out my hose and nosepiece with peroxide when I shower in the morning, and hang it up to dry. Every 3 or 4 days I refresh the cpap water chamber by filling to the indicater line, more drops peroxide, more oils.
I like the idea of rinsing the hose, etc with HP. I had a SoClean but it killed my machine. Am thinking about getting this unit instead: Respify CPAP Cleaner & Sanitizer as recommended by my DME. It doesn't put the machine in or run the ozone through so it won't damage anything. I would likely only use EO's if I am feeling congested as I like them but maybe not that much ;)

I don't know why the article says not to use just distilled water and HP ?

Lollipop2

I do have a cool mist humidifier the kind with huge honeycomb paper filters inside, and what a method for EOs in a room. Wow.
But back to the cpap I had ruined a lot of nosepieces and hoses, and the air intake filter by trying oils everywhere, snapping apart junctions, melted an air intake filter pad once, nosepiece turned yellow from myrrh etc. Jeez-O-Peat I love to inhale aromatic botanicals direct to my brain! For about 3years now the distilled water, peroxide and oils just dial it in for me.
Hey interesting thanks! I work at a sleep clinic that helps people get prescriptions for devices.

akgrrrl

Hey interesting thanks! I work at a sleep clinic that helps people get prescriptions for devices.
Welcome! Just my 2Cents.
Yes, diffusers I have 3. The humidifier is behind the sofa on the floor and always has geranium and rosemary in it. I have a glass squirt bottle with distilled and EOs that I shake and spray fine mist up high above my head in every room after a cleaning. Literally can see any dust particles cleared as they are pushed to the floor. While I have a fancy latest/greatest woodstove, I think the misting clears the air of fine particulate matter it may generate. Same on the diffusers, they work best high up in a room.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Welcome! Just my 2Cents.
Yes, diffusers I have 3. The humidifier is behind the sofa on the floor and always has geranium and rosemary in it. I have a glass squirt bottle with distilled and EOs that I shake and spray fine mist up high above my head in every room after a cleaning. Literally can see any dust particles cleared as they are pushed to the floor. While I have a fancy latest/greatest woodstove, I think the misting clears the air of fine particulate matter it may generate. Same on the diffusers, they work best high up in a room.
Good to know about the diffusers being more effective high up in a room!

Lollipop2

Welcome! Just my 2Cents.
Great information, thank you!

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

As an alternative to a full blown nebulizer (which is not a big deal - justnebulizers.com in the US is one source), you can try this method using a spray bottle:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAHhe7hJ0Ug

Thanks for sharing this. I had forgotten about this video, having seen it some time ago. Interesting that she uses OTC H202 and not food grade and that she uses it full strength.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Wondering about this remark: "Do not mix the peroxide with straight distilled water, as this could potentially cause physiological damage. You need the salt in there. You can, however, make your saline using distilled water." source: Nebulized Hydrogen Peroxide — A Simple Remedy for COVID-19 - Spirit of Change Magazine | Holistic New England

If we use saline in our humidifiers, it will cause a build up of the salt/minerals and can ruin the machine. Is HP w/o saline in distilled really that dangerous? Why exactly would it be? Also, would simply using less (say 2 drops vs 3 ccs) be a better and safer but still effective balance/treatment?
For just cpap humidity it should be perfectly fine. Hand held nebulizers on the other hand are designed to deliver the fluid deep into your lungs so really anything you nebulize should be mixed with normal saline to avoid lung irritation. If you do decide to use saline in your cpap humidifier I would wash the chamber with dish soap every morning to prevent salt deposits. I’m just saying this as a dme rt- I don’t use cpap myself.

akgrrrl

For just cpap humidity it should be perfectly fine. Hand held nebulizers on the other hand are designed to deliver the fluid deep into your lungs so really anything you nebulize should be mixed with normal saline to avoid lung irritation. If you do decide to use saline in your cpap humidifier I would wash the chamber with dish soap every morning to prevent salt deposits. I’m just saying this as a dme rt- I don’t use cpap myself.
Thanks Blossom.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

This is helpful feedback, thank you, Blossom.

So far, just for the cold and flu season but absent any symptoms, I am only adding a few drops (about 1-3) of H202 to the distilled water in my chamber (which, for me, only needs about 1/2 of its full capacity for one night = to about 1 cup).

For congestion of any sort or cause, I expect I would introduce other, additional therapies suggested in this thread such as nebulizing, diffusing, or the H202 spray that @baudoman posted.

What I remain unsure of is the optimal ratio of H202 to distilled water in a CPAP humidifying chamber. In other words, how much H202 for 1 cup of distilled water is safe?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This is helpful feedback, thank you, Blossom.

So far, just for the cold and flu season but absent any symptoms, I am only adding a few drops (about 1-3) of H202 to the distilled water in my chamber (which, for me, only needs about 1/2 of its full capacity for one night = to about 1 cup).

For congestion of any sort or cause, I expect I would introduce other, additional therapies suggested in this thread such as nebulizing, diffusing, or the H202 spray that @baudoman posted.

What I remain unsure of is the optimal ratio of H202 to distilled water in a CPAP humidifying chamber. In other words, how much H202 for 1 cup of distilled water is safe?
This article says 1/4 cup of food grade per gallon and 1.5 cups of 3% h2o2 per gallon.

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals