COVID Long Hauler for 7 months, need help

Mito

Are Peat's core ideas tailored toward overcoming post viral fatigue or chronic fatigue?
Peat’s core ideas are centered around metabolism. He believes a good metabolism producing high amounts of ATP and carbon dioxide are key for cellular structure and the foundation for good heath.

TabulaRasa

Can anybody link to studies saying Aspirin improves mitochondria? I don’t believe it and can’t find any studies about it. Sounds wrong to me.

Mito

Can anybody link to studies saying Aspirin improves mitochondria? I don’t believe it and can’t find any studies about it. Sounds wrong to me.

Michael Mohn

I’d never heard about Aspirin helping mitochondria. That’s interesting. Would this be contraindicated if one had ulcerative colitis? Anyone know?
I remember a woman who tried the milk & oj diet with resulting stomach pains, aspirin was even worse. When she went to the doctor she was diagnosed with an ulcer. In the end it was all Peat's fault! I think there're cases where aspirin and high salicylic acid foods can be a problem.

Michael Mohn

Aspirin reduces fat oxidation and promotes glucose oxidation. Burning more carbs and increased CO2 is protective for the mitochondria.

Jae

Thanks for replying here. I don't Peat, not yet at first! I'd never even heard of the guy until my Google search a few days ago.

Didn't know paracetemol/Omega 3s were toxic, they are widely promoted. But I guess Peat has something else to say about that. I'll have to look this up.

I added NAD+ because I read that it helps with brain health and I'm very concerned about my cognitive issues.

Are Peat's core ideas tailored toward overcoming post viral fatigue or chronic fatigue? Do you know if he's spoken on long COVID? Would love some resources. Been in bed today listening to his videos. Appreciate your feedback.
To get rid of inflammation and increase NAD+, have you considered the "niatonin" protocol? It is taking melatonin first, and then flush niacin 15-40 minutes later, in a ratio that eliminates the flushing from the niacin and the drowsiness from the melatonin. There's a Telegram channel on it.

tankasnowgod

Getting a full blood panel this week, I'll double check to see if the full iron is included. Will report back.

Ferritin it really the number you want included, it's the best representation of full body iron stores. A lot of panels include "serum iron," which doesn't tell you much, as it can fluctuate from something as simple as eating.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
Which thiamin and b complex do you recommend?

You seem to not know about B1, thiamin, being the foundation of energy. Have a look at the website hormonesmatter. com and search for a good B-complex + a source of any thiamin so you can start. you have to ramp up until you find your sweetspot. You really have many signs that it is the issue, and i have seen people who recovered from long covid in a few days only with thiamin, when they wer previously fit.

Lollipop2

Hey @Tim Lundeen did you see this one @Birdie posted?

RealNeat

Lol, sorry I can't help but laugh at such a emotionallly definitive statement. Might want to dial back on the belief.

RealNeat

To get rid of inflammation and increase NAD+, have you considered the "niatonin" protocol? It is taking melatonin first, and then flush niacin 15-40 minutes later, in a ratio that eliminates the flushing from the niacin and the drowsiness from the melatonin. There's a Telegram channel on it.
There's also a thread on it. After taking people's advice here and getting more Peaty with your supps and diet I would be curious of your results if and when you decide to do the Niatonin protocol. It's Peatyish considering the emphasis on Niacin, even though Niatonin suggests Nicotinic acid instead of niacinamide (the one Peat recommends.) If you decide to go pure Peat, niacinamide would be the way to go, making sure your blood sugar doesn't dip while taking it.

here is the Niatonin thread: Guy claims high dose Melatonin & Niacin is a cure all and also cures Covid/long Covid and vaccine damage

RealNeat

You have studies? I can’t find any.
You've already been addressed by @Mito but here, I'll help you highlight;

"
As already mentioned, oxidative stress and inflammation promote fission. Too much inflammation and you have too much fission. This overwhelms mitophagy and autophagy, which can further worsen oxidative stress. “…abnormalities in mitochondrial fission in endothelial cells contribute to inflammation and oxidative stress in the cardiovascular system. These cells also produce less ATP and more ROS” (R).

Salicylate has been found to be protective in this regard. “Reductions in fission and inflammation were also observed in cells following NF-kB inhibition, anti-inflammatory drug salicylate could also reduce mitochondrial fragmentation. Salicylate works by blocking the activity of multiple inflammatory molecules, including NF-kB.” (R)

And also, aspirin doesn’t inhibit proper autophagy, it actually stimulates it. “Salicylate, the active derivative of aspirin (acetylsalicylate), recapitulates the mode of action of caloric restriction inasmuch as it stimulates autophagythrough the inhibition of the acetyltransferase activity of EP300” (R, R).

Last but on least, aspirin-treated rats actually had larger mitochondria than the untreated animals, which indicates better metabolic flexibility and ability to produce energy. “Although it has been suggested that acetylsalicylate (ASA)-induced mitochondrial dysfunction plays an important role in the pathogenesis of Reye’s syndrome, administration of ASA alone does not cause this syndrome in therapeutic doses. Furthermore, oral administration of ASA (150 mg/kg for 5 days running) to rats did not affect mitochondrial structure or liver function…” (R). And when you look at the actual data in the study, you’ll see that the aspirin-treated rats had bigger mitochondria, not smaller.

On a different note, aspirin reduces oxidative stress and muscle damage during exercises, while promoting proper mitochondrial function during exercise. This study (in elite Taekwondo athletes) shows that aspirin before exercises lowered post-workout lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) (R). Increased enzyme activity of LDH in the blood negatively affects pH, cellular ATP production, muscle cell membrane integrity, and is associated with increased levels of ROS production that can further exacerbate cellular damage."

sometimes it's about putting the individual pieces together rather than finding verbatim studies and playing semantics.

Rays approach to the organism is a coherent message with emphasis on mitochondrial health through direct and indirect therapeutics, take things out of context and you can prove anything.

RealNeat

The last update I saw he was recommending both.
Do you have a quote? He says he's not against Niacinamide but prefers Nicotinic acid, is he saying either works now? An integral part of the method is to oppose the flush of niacin with melatonin, I doubt he has tossed that out.

Perry Staltic

Do you have a quote? He says he's not against Niacinamide but prefers Nicotinic acid, is he saying either works now? An integral part of the method is to oppose the flush of niacin with melatonin, I doubt he has tossed that out.

He was recommending both before he was kicked off twitter. All of his posts are now gone, so I can't direct you to it.

Perry Staltic

Let me clarify. He said he thinks they work synergisticly, not that niacinamide can be used instead of nicotinic acid.

Birdie

I remember a woman who tried the milk & oj diet with resulting stomach pains, aspirin was even worse. When she went to the doctor she was diagnosed with an ulcer. In the end it was all Peat's fault! I think there're cases where aspirin and high salicylic acid foods can be a problem.
This is an example of grabbing onto a couple of Ray's statements and isolating them isn't it. Context counts. "the milk and oj diet" is a great example. Then add aspirin and whoah you're following RP. No, you're not. We all read Ray Peat's newsletters on his website before trying what we think is his "diet"..

Last edited:

Birdie

You have studies? I can’t find any.
If you go to Peat's website and do a search on articles related to aspirin, you will eventually find studies that Ray links to. It would be unusual for somebody here to have a few studies in mind, with links, to this.