CoV Hype, Best Time To Invest? Where Are You Planning On Investing?

Discussion in 'Society' started by RealNeat, Feb 28, 2020.

1. RealNeat

RealNeat Member

Im not trying to be heartless, but this seems like a good time for people to take advantage of cheap stocks.

2. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

honestly they aren't cheap by historic standards. This is called a correction and when it's time to buy, it will be down 40% or more from the highs. It may not fall that far if they start dropping cash from helicoptors, but if you look at the past history, that is what will happen...a recovery now to near the highs, then another drop, this time 15% maybe...and then either recovery to new highs, or a drop down to 40% less than the highs.

Rather than time the market you can buy a little at a time, called dollar cost averaging.

3. Nigel Forester

Nigel Forester Member

I would just buy some seeds and start a garden.

4. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

The Dow is at the same point it was last June. There was also a good low point in December of 2018.

If you look at Tesla, it just dropped about $200, but still, it's at about the same point it was 3-4 weeks ago. Judging if you should buy is going to depend on any number of factors, including how long you want to stay in that trade, and what your target price is to sell.

Oddly, of all the things I have seen about the Corona virus "outbreak," this one is one of the most level headed, rational, well researched and informative, an it is mostly from a market and trading perspective-

5. JDreamer

JDreamer Member

Gonna be a while. Major supply chains worldwide are being disrupted and won't stop in the near term until they've gotten a handle on COVID. Doesn't help that at the center of all of this is China - who is a gigantic player in the world economy.

6. LeeLemonoil

LeeLemonoil Member

Goldman Sachs Sees S&P500 go down another 10-15% from here until „mid year“.

That’s vague but they dont do this kind of statements without consideration.

I recommend determine for yourself course levels for indexes or single titles that you want to invest in and the sum you want to invest in it. Say for example, -6% from today since everyone predicts further downturn, recession and bear marketThan start investing once that happens little by little, cost average effects. You might not start at the bottom but you might not miss an unexpected spike.

Timing and stock picking in these conditions is very difficult. But high risk = high gains if you know what you do. It don’t. Amazon a sure bet to rebound soon maybe leverage that one

7. LeeLemonoil

LeeLemonoil Member

8. HealingBoy

HealingBoy Member

Bought a ***t ton of crypto (Tezos) after today's crash. Already up 15%. I shorted crypto to make at least x6 from my initial investment.

High risk, high reward, high cortisol, high dopamine haha...

9. sladerunner69

sladerunner69 Member

Econ Student
    Dollar cost averaging sounds like just indexing or diversifying like most financial planners do. It will only earn you market gains, on average (your wealth sort of follows the stock market, which has historically had an uptrend). If you want to gamble and get wealthy starting from a modest sum, however, you are going to need to time the market effectively with shorts and options and all that jazz.

10. RWilly

RWilly Member

I'd invest in copper, especially since there is a finite amount, and it will be needed in high demand with electric cars.

Copper can also play an important role in infectious diseases. Copper (and copper alloys such as brass) will be needed on communal surfaces, as it is naturally anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-viral.

Why Copper May Help Protect Us from Coronavirus

11. Spokey

Spokey Member

Well I'd forget gold but toilet roll stocks are going through the roof.

12. LeeLemonoil

LeeLemonoil Member

Virtually all major indexes saw a huge drop yesterday after a week of already heavy corrections. Most countries now have enacted drastic measures to contain Corona and the major economies have announced programs to stabilize the economy.

That was that. A bit of volatility and a short Bear market and we will see the stock markets up and running come last Quartal this year and all time highs in 2022 latest.

I’ve you are long term orientated, now is the time is to start investing. I bought GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer, Allianz, Volkswagen, Linde and Amazon today. I put my money where my mouth is

13. OP
    RealNeat

RealNeat Member

Yikes.. my morals definitely will not allow me to contribute to a few of those. Ill keep others in mind though.

14. LeeLemonoil

LeeLemonoil Member

There are endless options. I consciously buy shares from Big Pharma or Amazon, companies that I oppose in many ways. At least I get a bit of money out of their schemes that
    annoy me so much.