Countries With High HFCS Consumption

J

j.

Per capita consumption of HFCS was highest in the US, where we consume 55 pounds of the sweetener per year. The U.S. was followed by Hungary, with the markedly lower rate of 46 pounds per capita, along with Canada, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Belgium, Argentina, Korea, Japan and Mexico.

The countries where no HFCS at all is used include India, Ireland, Sweden, Austria, Uruguay, and Lithuania. France, China, Australia, and the UK all use less than one pound per capita.

Link

yerrag

It's sad that not long ago, Coke and Pepsi only used cane sugar. Now, the label says "HFCS/Sugar" which for me simply means HFCS. I don't touch Coke and Pepsi anymore. I go with the soda pops that only say "Sugar." If people here knew and started to act like I do and boycott Coke and Pepsi because of HFCS content, then Coke and Pepsi would just go back to using cane sugar, which is a main agricultural product of the Philippines anyway. Why should the Philippines use an unhealthy product that is subsidized by the US government for the benefit of lobbyists in the corn lobby, to the detriment of the health of its people? I believe this is the US government pushing its trade agenda as a bully towards smaller countries, calling in "free trade." Maybe under Duterte (yes the foul-mouthed one) the Philippines can shake off its de facto vassal state status and not emulate the US, which does not consider its people its constituent but rather follow the dictates of whoever lobbies hardest with campaign money, principles and the common good be damned.

CoolTweetPete

Lately Mexican coke has become widely available in the United States. It is more expensive (about $1.25 each) but it's a great alternative to HFCS served in a BPA lined container.

yerrag

Is it still in glass bottles and crowns?

Luann

Lithuania and Ireland have high suicide rates, like, hfcs isn't the devil

yerrag

Lithuania and Ireland have high suicide rates, like, hfcs isn't the devil
Please fill in the blanks you left.

yerrag

And the choice of sweetener is a central factor in determining the level of suicide? Hmmm... I must have forgotten how to tie things in together to make a coherent whole. So sorry.

lvysaur

I think her point was that the type of sweetener doesn't matter much.

yerrag

Thanks. I just don't understand the relevance of suicide rates to this discussion. That's where I'm drawing blanks.

Luann

Maybe it isn't valid yet but it's bound to come up if you talk about wholeness of body and health.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom