Counting Calories Thread: Is It Really Important?

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've noticed a frequent discussion regarding whether counting calories is important or not and there are many misconceptions on if CICO actually matters or not.

I've written an article regarding counting calories to hopefully help people make more enlightened decisions about their nutrition.
Count yourself to better health » MENELITE

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've noticed a frequent discussion regarding whether counting calories is important or not and there are many misconceptions on if CICO actually matters or not.

I've written an article regarding counting calories to hopefully help people make more enlightened decisions about their nutrition.
Great article! Thank you

David90

Good Article @Hans

Yeah it definently brings Awareness to how much someone is Eating Daily. Before using Cronometer, i was rarely aware of how much i was eating. Nowadays i use it sporadically (once a week or so) to look if i'm doing alright with the Calories.

Especially in the Past when i was Bulking, i was undereating quite a bit. I have upped it weekly by about 200 Calories. And in the End i was needing at least 4500 Calories on Workout Days to Bulk and move the Scale Upwards.... :flushed:

Nowadays i stay mostly in Maintenance or slight Deficit, on Workout Days i go 200-250 Calorie Surplus.

Dr. B

Hans I maintain the same weight but feel better, when doing a full gallon whole milk alongside one cup sugar which provides about 200g carbs. and from time to time, coconut water, dried figs or dates, raw honey.

I maintain the same weight doing this, compared to a 2000 calorie diet which has a half gallon whole milk plus some juice, and some meat/rice.

so the crazy thing is in terms of calories, it's almost double the calories. 3650 vs 2400. yet the weight stays the same.
with the initial setup, the macros are basically 120g protein, 104g fat, 240g carbs.
the other setup, its 128g protein, 136g fat, almost 500g carbs all from sugars. about 200g from milk, 200g from organic cane sugar, 50g from honey/dried fruit, 25g from coconut water, 10g from dried bananna chips. the fat is all grass fed dairy, plus 8g coconut oil. protein is all grass fed A2 dairy.
this confirms its not just calorie intake but how well the calories process and burn. the calcium phosphate ratio. you can basically consume way more calories if you adjust the calcium phosphate ratio, replace white rice with white sugar, etc.
my main concern now is orange juice, i dont hav the thirst to include orange or pomegranate juice. my plan is to once a week, cut the milk to half a gallon, and in place have orange juice, grape juice, pomegranate juice, and a burger, maybe cheesecake.
also if I need to get leaner I may need to cut out half gallon milk and replace with whey protein. to cut the fat down. I am not sure on whey. but it seems clear to me, 8oz of ground beef is too much even if youre having half gallon whole milk. it throws off the calcium phosphate ratio. you can do it, but its not the most optimal. not as optimal as a full gallon whole milk. I tried a mix of pasta, potatoes or rice btw. the sugar seems to work much better. im not sure if theres a risk of some vitamin/mineral deficiencies from consuming a cup of sugar daily.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hans I maintain the same weight but feel better, when doing a full gallon whole milk alongside one cup sugar which provides about 200g carbs. and from time to time, coconut water, dried figs or dates, raw honey.

I maintain the same weight doing this, compared to a 2000 calorie diet which has a half gallon whole milk plus some juice, and some meat/rice.

so the crazy thing is in terms of calories, it's almost double the calories. 3650 vs 2400. yet the weight stays the same.
with the initial setup, the macros are basically 120g protein, 104g fat, 240g carbs.
the other setup, its 128g protein, 136g fat, almost 500g carbs all from sugars. about 200g from milk, 200g from organic cane sugar, 50g from honey/dried fruit, 25g from coconut water, 10g from dried bananna chips. the fat is all grass fed dairy, plus 8g coconut oil. protein is all grass fed A2 dairy.
this confirms its not just calorie intake but how well the calories process and burn. the calcium phosphate ratio. you can basically consume way more calories if you adjust the calcium phosphate ratio, replace white rice with white sugar, etc.
my main concern now is orange juice, i dont hav the thirst to include orange or pomegranate juice. my plan is to once a week, cut the milk to half a gallon, and in place have orange juice, grape juice, pomegranate juice, and a burger, maybe cheesecake.
also if I need to get leaner I may need to cut out half gallon milk and replace with whey protein. to cut the fat down. I am not sure on whey. but it seems clear to me, 8oz of ground beef is too much even if youre having half gallon whole milk. it throws off the calcium phosphate ratio. you can do it, but its not the most optimal. not as optimal as a full gallon whole milk. I tried a mix of pasta, potatoes or rice btw. the sugar seems to work much better. im not sure if theres a risk of some vitamin/mineral deficiencies from consuming a cup of sugar daily.
That's real awesome. Agree on calories out, such as the burn. However, I've also drank a gallon of milk with cane sugar for a couple weeks and it did nothing favorable to my metabolic rate compared to any other diet. If with one diet you feel more sleepy, you'll move less. If with the other diet you feel more awake and alive, you'll likely move more. This will increase your NEAT and you'll maintain your weight despite eating a lot more. The changes in metabolic rate with diet are pretty small compared to changes in NEAT.

dukesbobby777

I find generally staying in range of my TDEE helpful too.

I don't really understand how one can even measure a 'TDEE'. If I run a few miles (not that I do), that's the equivalent of burning off a small hamburger or something. And then how do you even measure what your brain is burning off as fuel?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don't really understand how one can even measure a 'TDEE'. If I run a few miles (not that I do), that's the equivalent of burning off a small hamburger or something. And then how do you even measure what your brain is burning off as fuel?
It’s just a ball park estimate so certainly not perfect but better than relying on the government’s recommendation that everyone basically needs 2000 calories per day.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
94381B40-57B6-45FE-A4E6-128E9A83116B.png This was mine just now and ironically eating to my appetite today I clocked in at 1883 calories per cronometer. I got obese once forcing myself to eat more than I needed or even wanted so I just prefer to listen to my body and check in with the TDEE calculator periodically. I wasn’t healthy when I was obese although I understand some people can be.

Dr. B

That's real awesome. Agree on calories out, such as the burn. However, I've also drank a gallon of milk with cane sugar for a couple weeks and it did nothing favorable to my metabolic rate compared to any other diet. If with one diet you feel more sleepy, you'll move less. If with the other diet you feel more awake and alive, you'll likely move more. This will increase your NEAT and you'll maintain your weight despite eating a lot more. The changes in metabolic rate with diet are pretty small compared to changes in NEAT.
which diet forms did you compare it to? the other carb sources cause some level of inflammation. replacing sugar with fruit or fruit juice should be comparable. but i notice a clear difference if sugar is replaced with bread, or pasta, or rice or potato.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
which diet forms did you compare it to? the other carb sources cause some level of inflammation. replacing sugar with fruit or fruit juice should be comparable. but i notice a clear difference if sugar is replaced with bread, or pasta, or rice or potato.
There really isn't a silver bullet when it comes to specific foods and the metabolic rate. I compared a lot of combinations and I do best on foods that make me feel light. Sugar makes me feel good and light compared to starches, but it's not better for fat loss ime.

But I still stand with what I said above.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals