Couldn't Sleep at Night

Green Dot

Had semi-constant hot flashes, felt a need to scream and I was visualizing myself destroying everything in my surroundings.

I know fruit juice and some salt helps, but my food intake has been pretty high lately.

Should I just put that to the side and really dial in 100% to fix my issues?

I'm assuming the answer is yes. I just needed to vent a bit though.

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

bit of some background info: I unintentionally intermittent fasted for about a decade, from elementary to high school. Never ate breakfast nor lunch, so you can probably see where all of my issues stem from. On top of that, I ate fast food almost everyday and worked out until failure.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Had semi-constant hot flashes, felt a need to scream and I was visualizing myself destroying everything in my surroundings.

I know fruit juice and some salt helps, but my food intake has been pretty high lately.

Should I just put that to the side and really dial in 100% to fix my issues?

I'm assuming the answer is yes. I just needed to vent a bit though.
I had those same feelings when I was hypometabolic. It's due to a rise in cortisol. Aspirin combined with sugared milk worked fantastic for me.

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

I had those same feelings when I was hypometabolic. It's due to a rise in cortisol. Aspirin combined with sugared milk worked fantastic for me.
Thanks for that. I take aspirin here and there in the 100mg range. Will probably up my dose and frequency though.

K

Kaur Singh

I take it that this is not a regular occurrence for you,
more of a one-time thing?

if so -->
I would ask: have you done anything different, taken a new supplement, etc?

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

I take it that this is not a regular occurrence for you,
more of a one-time thing?

if so -->
I would ask: have you done anything different, taken a new supplement, etc?
happens a couple nights of week, but not to this severity. I used to actually wake up every morning with a racing heart beat. Regarding the hot flashes I get them pretty often.

I think the bananas I ate that day may have played a role. No new supplements though

AnoushF

I would try what Hans suggested and have sweetened milk with aspirin in the evening. Sounds like you're waking in the morning with a big cortisol spike, which may indicate insufficient glucose in the liver during the night. If you haven't already, I would also reduce polyunsaturated fat intake as much as possible, especially in the evening, and when in combination with carbs.

In my opinion the bananas could only play a role if you ate like 5 of them at once and consumed too much potassium in one sitting, which COULD cause some heart palpitations. 99% of the time that won't be the case though.

Other than that..Do you take any supplements?

K

Kaur Singh

the urge to destroy everything around you
in my case gets triggered by sounds/noises
WHEN
my body is under the stress response

if you are only experiencing this when you wake up during the night
then nighttime = stressful
so perhaps both darkness and the energy issues surrounding not eating while we sleep
(that others have mentioned)

how about getting sunlight?

I recommend to start low and titrate as needed slowly when you try a supplement/food/sun etc
some of us cannot handle big amounts of anything and that will cause other problems

to get out of the stress response =
aspirin, B3, B1,
sufficient cabs during the day
you can sip orange juice or nibble on a carb when you wake up in your sleep.

reduce estrogen/prolactin/serotonin
minerals and vitamins in your diet
etc

if there are stressful elements in your life,
eliminating/reducing them however you can

are your hot spells accompanied by actual changes in temperature?
heat intolerance <> hypothyroidism <> nitric oxide
different from 'hot flashes' during sleep--> catabolism ramping up, perhaps.
HR taken together with temp during a hot episode can give you more information.
there is a KMUD episode on temperature set point, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: