Could The Amount Of Calcium In Milk Be Reducing Zinc Levels?

hardeep

i was just thinking given how much milk we have daily (over 2 quarts) have any negative effect on the absorption and stores of zinc levels in our body as i heard that calcium can deplete zinc and reduce the zinc absorption rate?

is this true?

and wouldn't drinking milk with red meat reduce the zinc absorption if the above statement is true?

excuse me if i am wrong as this is all new still.

dukez07

To be honest with you, i think that excess calcium is more of an issue for the development of athlerosclerosis. If you are going to be taking that much milk each day - ensure you are getting lots and lots of magnesium. Excess calcium will get dumped into the arteries, with not enough magnesium around.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/aug ... nts_01.htm

This link discusses calcium supplementation, but, to be honest, with the amount of calcium that is in milk (very high) - I think that if you are drinking that much per day, and not getting enough magnesium - you could be possibly putting yourself at risk.

As for the zinc issue, just add lamb or beef.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

j.

dukez07 said:
Excess calcium will get dumped into the arteries, with not enough magnesium around.

Peat's view is the opposite. Calcium gets deposited in the arteries when the parathyroid hormone is high, and calcium suppresses the parathyroid hormone. Moreover, whole milk is one of the best sources of vitamin K2, which is effective to prevent and reverse arterial calcification.

TeslaFan

j. said:
post 34060
dukez07 said:
Excess calcium will get dumped into the arteries, with not enough magnesium around.

Peat's view is the opposite. Calcium gets deposited in the arteries when the parathyroid hormone is high, and calcium suppresses the parathyroid hormone. Moreover, whole milk is one of the best sources of vitamin K2, which is effective to prevent and reverse arterial calcification.

Peat's view is not opposite, but adds information. What dukez07 said is correct, and so is what you said.
And there is more information, for example, Magnesium also regulates PTH secretion. It also does many other things, such as generate energy within each cell. Ever heard of ATP? It's actually Magnesium-ATP. No Magnesium, no ATP. No ATP, no energy. No energy, no structure.

Giraffe

See other topic:

post 32811 It appears unlikely that calcium per se has a negative effect on zinc absorption. [...] The calcium content of the diet may, however, affect zinc absorption from phytate-containing meals.