Could One With Normal Thyroid Levels Follow Peat's Eating Advice?

NHF

Hi,

I have a normal Thyroid levels and i was thinking to eliminate PUFAs from my diet and start including white sugar, OJ, milk, coconut oil, butter, carrots, mushrooms and meats.

However, i am really concerned about developing diabetes after doing so.

Therefore, has anyone with normal thyroid levels tried this or is it just effective in case of hypothyroidism?

Do you think integrating such foods into my diet would be beneficial in such case?

Thank you,

milkboi

RP‘s framework of nutrition and health is much more than a „hypothyroid-recovery program“. So yeah, try it out. :) I think it‘s important to read a lot of background information, RP‘s articles are best, to really „get it“. Also regarding diabetes, read about the Randle Cycle...

lampofred

I think Peat's diet is actually meant for people with normal thyroid. Hypothyroid people often have trouble with it (like with the high milk intake) unless they start supplementing thyroid. But if your thyroid is working well, then in theory it should be a self-sustaining loop that keeps your thyroid working well forever.

Eliminating PUFAs is good for everyone, both weak thyroid people and strong thyroid people.

I would avoid overdoing the fat (even saturated fat like butter) if you are concerned about developing diabetes (like the poster above me mentioned, Randle cycle).

OP
NHF

NHF

I would avoid overdoing the fat (even saturated fat like butter) if you are concerned about developing diabetes (like the poster above me mentioned, Randle cycle).

Thank you Lampofred.
I just started reading about the Randle cycle, looks interesting and i've never heard of it before. Thank you for mentioning it too.

As i mentioned earlier, i will try to eliminate PUFAs as much as possible but i i really have a question in mind: i've been seriously relying on polyunsaturated fats since 5 years and i i everyd eat multiple handfuls of raw nuts along with olive oil, avocados and fish oil supplements and never felt bad physically and mentally.

May i kindly ask you to brieflt explain why is it recommended to stop eating polyunsaturated fats?

Thank you,

lampofred

Thank you Lampofred.
I just started reading about the Randle cycle, looks interesting and i've never heard of it before. Thank you for mentioning it too.

As i mentioned earlier, i will try to eliminate PUFAs as much as possible but i i really have a question in mind: i've been seriously relying on polyunsaturated fats since 5 years and i i everyd eat multiple handfuls of raw nuts along with olive oil, avocados and fish oil supplements and never felt bad physically and mentally.

May i kindly ask you to brieflt explain why is it recommended to stop eating polyunsaturated fats?

Thank you,

Dr. Peat has said that until you are about 20 years or so, you don't really feel the effects of PUFA because the metabolism of a kid/growing teen is so fast that it can detox the PUFA before it gets stored, plus the little bit that does get stored gets diluted because of the growing size. But once you are finished with puberty and your metabolism slows, the PUFA really starts building up in your tissues and that's when its effects become apparent.

What it does is poison your mitochondria because it is so unstable in the high heat/high oxygen environment of the human body. And once your mitochondria are poisoned, your energy levels go down and balance of your body shifts to degeneration instead of regeneration. It also blocks your thyroid hormone from being produced, being transported, from entering the mitochondria. And it also promotes inflammation in the body. Also, it is estrogenic and acts like cocaine to give you the impression that you have energy in the short-term, but in reality it is actually poisoning ATP production in the long-run.

I tried summarizing what I know about it but I'd recommend reading the articles on vegetable oil and fish oil on raypeat.com to get a much more detailed, well-researched, and better written answer on why PUFA is bad for you.

Don't think olive oil is bad for you in moderation, same with avocado since it's mostly MUFA, but I'd be careful about raw nuts and especially fish oil

OP
NHF

NHF

Dr. Peat has said that until you are about 20 years or so, you don't really feel the effects of PUFA because the metabolism of a kid/growing teen is so fast that it can detox the PUFA before it gets stored, plus the little bit that does get stored gets diluted because of the growing size. But once you are finished with puberty and your metabolism slows, the PUFA really starts building up in your tissues and that's when its effects become apparent.

What it does is poison your mitochondria because it is so unstable in the high heat/high oxygen environment of the human body. And once your mitochondria are poisoned, your energy levels go down and balance of your body shifts to degeneration instead of regeneration. It also blocks your thyroid hormone from being produced, being transported, from entering the mitochondria. And it also promotes inflammation in the body. Also, it is estrogenic and acts like cocaine to give you the impression that you have energy in the short-term, but in reality it is actually poisoning ATP production in the long-run.

I tried summarizing what I know about it but I'd recommend reading the articles on vegetable oil and fish oil on raypeat.com to get a much more detailed, well-researched, and better written answer on why PUFA is bad for you.

Don't think olive oil is bad for you in moderation, same with avocado since it's mostly MUFA, but I'd be careful about raw nuts and especially fish oil

Very informative!
Many thanks.