Could Milk And Sugar Cause These Problems?

Ellae

Hi everyone,

this is my first time posting on this forum, any advice would be much appreciated. I started to implement Dr. Peats ideas last august, and first adding milk and oj made me feel really good - could be because maybe for the first time in my life I was getting enough calories.

However I started to have problems in the beginning of this year when I had very stressful period at my new job. At the time my diet was consisting mainly of milk, oj, fruits, meat, liver, ice cream, occasional seafood and potatoes. I lost my appetite, started to react badly to some foods (just a tiny amount of oj would result in hyperventilation and swollen airways) got severe insomnia (went without sleep for three weeks, ended to hospital quite a few times).

Finally I started to take mirtazapin for sleep and once I could sleep again, it helped some but I still have quite many issues that I am trying to resolve.

My current diet is milk, grape juice, mozzarella cheese, fruits (mango, watermelon, baked apples and cherries), meat, lean chicken breast, liver, gelatine, sugar, some coffee and Haagen Dazs ice cream. I get around 2000-2200 kcals a day, and according to chronometer don’t have any big deficiencies except for folate. My temps are pretty stable 97.3, and pulse around 74.

I have been getting some tests but they haven’t found anything, my guess is I have a lot of bacterial overgrowth and I suspect all this milk, fruits and sugar is feeding that.

My symptoms right now are: occasional heartburn, constant tightness and lump in throat (gets worse if I eat anything starchy), constant mouth ulcers, bad breath and dry mouth, dry and stuffy sinuses, constant nose bleeds (like many times a day), irritability, anxiety and lack of energy. Oh, and as of lately I’ve also had pain in my anal - it feels like there’s sores in there.

I was thinking that I would try to ditch milk and sugar for a while, but it makes it quite problematic to get enough calories as I cannot eat any starch right now. So then my diet would consist of meat, liver, seafood, bone and leaf broths, some veggies and fruits. Perhaps I could tolerate starch better if I didn’t drink milk and eat so much fruits, who knows.

I was also thinking trying to get some antibiotics if they would help with the bacterial overgrowth, and possibly eating yoghurt for probiotics even if it’s not “Peaty”.

Any ideas, advices? Has anyone got good results from ditching milk and sugar? Any thoughts on bacterial overgrowth issue?

Tagging @haidut @lisaferraro @tara in case you have time to reply since I've enjoyed your posts a lot. Of course everyone elses views are very welcome too.

EIRE24

I am looking forward to seeing what people advise here as I suffer from a lot of the same problems in particular the chest and throat tightness. The throar tightness is scary. It makes me feel very irritable and struggle to concentrate with it.

I wonder is it blood sugar dysregulation? Either that or not enough fat in the diet? These are just thoughts as I havent found anything to fix the problems yet myself.

OP
Ellae

Ellae

I am looking forward to seeing what people advise here as I suffer from a lot of the same problems in particular the chest and throat tightness. The throar tightness is scary. It makes me feel very irritable and struggle to concentrate with it.

I wonder is it blood sugar dysregulation? Either that or not enough fat in the diet? These are just thoughts as I havent found anything to fix the problems yet myself.

Hi Eire, Thank you for your comment!

I thought about blood sugar issues too. I have tried to fix the tightness in the throat/air hunger with eating more sugar but so far it has not made huge difference, maybe if I would eat even more, but I am afraid of eating too much sugar - I already take about 4 tablespoons of white sugar a day, and my monkey mind is freaking out about the idea of ingesting amounts bigger than that. :grin The possibility of too little fat is something I haven't thought of, according to chronometer I get around 60-80 grams a day and that doesn't sound too low does it?

The tightness is indeed very irritable.

I wonder if all these problems are just because after so many years of eating poorly my immunity system is starting to wake up because of good nutrition, and it is being hyper alert for a while. Or stored PUFA releasing from the tissues.

Let me know if you figure out anything!

OP
Ellae

Ellae

@tca300 I believe had issues with with OJ and respiratory issues/throat tightness/ anaphylaxis hopefully he could chime in here.

Have you had your vitamin D tested, if so, what was it? If not, why not?

Thanks for the answer. Yes I have had them tested a month ago or so, my level was 67. I supplemented with Vit D last winter every day but I stopped it since I thought I might have overdone it - I took 10 000 iU for a few months. I am not noticing any benefits from getting sunshine either - I actually start to feel a little tired and queasy if I spend more than 20 minutes in the sunshine.

L

lollipop

Hello and welcome @Ellae :):

After quickly reading your post before my clients begin, I thought immediately (forgive me if you addressed these points below and I missed it. Trying to support you before I get busy):

A) work on your liver health

B) rather than stopping milk, switch to cheese or Greek yogurt and see if that helps AND/OR reduce your milk consumption to one ounce every day for however long it takes for your body to adjust to milk - one or two months, or weeks or longer etc. Then increase by 1/2 or one ounce and drink that again for several months until body adjusted. Then rinse and repeat this method. Personally, I only drink 8-12 oz a day with my meal that has meat.

C) For sugar, use the same method as above. Also, I mostly eat fruits, use honey in my coffee, maple syrup in my daily fresh lemonade, occasionally use cane syrup for brownies. I do not eat tons and tons of sugar.

D) The problems I used to have that I thought was “yeast” problems from sugar went away when my thyroid and liver health improved. Perhaps these could be starting points.

Hope this helps :):

T

tca300

I dont eat anything with fructose or salicylates anymore, after eliminating things I have found that fructose and salicylates seem to put me on deaths door, but after their elimination I feel better than ever. They caused bloating, dizziness, lasting numbness, water retention, panic attack like symptoms ( feel like there is not enough oxygen present and the body involuntary starts hyperventilating, its extremely frightening ) loose stools, irritability, depression, muscle weakness... other symptoms too, its a nightmare. I tried antibiotics, high amounts of activated charcoal, etc.. over and over and over. Its not bacteria, Im reacting to the foods themselves. A diet of milk and liver, corrects the issues and I feel superhuman, but If I stray and eat fruit, icecream, coconut, etc.. I crash hard, sometimes it takes weeks to recover.

OP
Ellae

Ellae

Hello and welcome @Ellae :):

After quickly reading your post before my clients begin, I thought immediately (forgive me if you addressed these points below and I missed it. Trying to support you before I get busy):

A) work on your liver health

B) rather than stopping milk, switch to cheese or Greek yogurt and see if that helps AND/OR reduce your milk consumption to one ounce every day for however long it takes for your body to adjust to milk - one or two months, or weeks or longer etc. Then increase by 1/2 or one ounce and drink that again for several months until body adjusted. Then rinse and repeat this method. Personally, I only drink 8-12 oz a day with my meal that has meat.

C) For sugar, use the same method as above. Also, I mostly eat fruits, use honey in my coffee, maple syrup in my daily fresh lemonade, occasionally use cane syrup for brownies. I do not eat tons and tons of sugar.

D) The problems I used to have that I thought was “yeast” problems from sugar went away when my thyroid and liver health improved. Perhaps these could be starting points.

Hope this helps :):

Thank you so much Lisa, I appreciate you taking the time to try and help!

Do you have any specific tips on bettering the liver health? I just started taking aspirin three times a day (I take 725mg total) with K2, I drink bone broth almost daily, eat a carrot a day. From what I've understood from Peat, caffeine would be good and I used to love coffee but nowadays it often makes my mouth feel burned and throat a bit tight, even if I take it with sugar and milk.

I will try to switch most of my milk to cheese and yoghurt, right now I drink one liter of milk a day and I really don't know whether it's causing me problems or not. I'll also try using honey and maple syrup instead of sugar.

The funny thing is, all my symptoms seem to get a lot worse whenever I am working and now that I have a few off days I am feeling better. So I think changing to a less stressful job would help tons too, will work on that as well. :)

L

lollipop

Thank you so much Lisa, I appreciate you taking the time to try and help!

Do you have any specific tips on bettering the liver health? I just started taking aspirin three times a day (I take 725mg total) with K2, I drink bone broth almost daily, eat a carrot a day. From what I've understood from Peat, caffeine would be good and I used to love coffee but nowadays it often makes my mouth feel burned and throat a bit tight, even if I take it with sugar and milk.

I will try to switch most of my milk to cheese and yoghurt, right now I drink one liter of milk a day and I really don't know whether it's causing me problems or not. I'll also try using honey and maple syrup instead of sugar.

The funny thing is, all my symptoms seem to get a lot worse whenever I am working and now that I have a few off days I am feeling better. So I think changing to a less stressful job would help tons too, will work on that as well. :)

+1000 on the stress!!! Biggest problem imo.

For liver:

Definitely coffee
Healing my GI track upper and lower
Milk Thistle - 500mg a day (no more)
Roasted Dandelion root tea
Turmeric
This Herb:

https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/kutki-liquid-extract-10/

Last edited by a moderator:

EIRE24

Yes @Ellae I'm guessing we just have to keep trying different things.

I'm wondering if it is heartburn? If it was heartburn then milk would help I'm guessing not make it worse. Greek yogurt really helped me and I felt awesome eating it but it broke me out in some terrible acne. Me and dairy do not go at all.

Yes, at times my throat has felt so tight it has had me close to tears. The tightness in the throat and chest is horrible and I even have it now and cannot find relief. The search goes on.

OP
Ellae

Ellae

I'm wondering if it is heartburn? If it was heartburn then milk would help I'm guessing not make it worse. Greek yogurt really helped me and I felt awesome eating it but it broke me out in some terrible acne. Me and dairy do not go at all.

Yes, at times my throat has felt so tight it has had me close to tears. The tightness in the throat and chest is horrible and I even have it now and cannot find relief. The search goes on.

Oh gosh, I feel you on this. I have cried multiple times because I've thought I'm suffocating.

I know this might not work, but it brings me temporary relief sometimes: I breathe in slowly focusing on my diaphgram (so just above abdominal muscles), breathing in as deeply as possible. Then I hold for a few seconds, and exhale all out slowly. After doing this for a couple of minutes my throat felt a little better.

I had that chest tightness too at one point but it has subsided. I think leaving starch helped with that.

Stay strong my friend, you and I both WILL get better. Let's just keep on trying things and listening to our bodies and what they try to communicate to us.

OP
Ellae

Ellae

I dont eat anything with fructose or salicylates anymore, after eliminating things I have found that fructose and salicylates seem to put me on deaths door, but after their elimination I feel better than ever. They caused bloating, dizziness, lasting numbness, water retention, panic attack like symptoms ( feel like there is not enough oxygen present and the body involuntary starts hyperventilating, its extremely frightening ) loose stools, irritability, depression, muscle weakness... other symptoms too, its a nightmare. I tried antibiotics, high amounts of activated charcoal, etc.. over and over and over. Its not bacteria, Im reacting to the foods themselves. A diet of milk and liver, corrects the issues and I feel superhuman, but If I stray and eat fruit, icecream, coconut, etc.. I crash hard, sometimes it takes weeks to recover.

Oh gosh, that sounds pretty HC man. I really hope I get this thing fixed without having to eliminate all fruit and sugar.

Luk3

Hi, first time poster here, also. If you do have bacterial overgrowth issues, a peat diet will most likely make things worse. Unfortunately, this has been my case. I eradicated a lot of my digestive symptoms with a low fodmap diet + anti-microbials. My symptoms, however, have returned since bringing back milk and OJ. Back to the drawing board with a low fodmap diet, it seems. I have also discovered I have histamine issues, so it will be even harder to get enough minerals... sigh.

EIRE24

Hi, first time poster here, also. If you do have bacterial overgrowth issues, a peat diet will most likely make things worse. Unfortunately, this has been my case. I eradicated a lot of my digestive symptoms with a low fodmap diet + anti-microbials. My symptoms, however, have returned since bringing back milk and OJ. Back to the drawing board with a low fodmap diet, it seems. I have also discovered I have histamine issues, so it will be even harder to get enough minerals... sigh.
What anti-macrobials did you use?

Luk3

What anti-macrobials did you use?
I used coconut oil, cinnamon oil and allicin. I also took lactoferrin, Serrapeptase and interfase for biofilms. The above improved things but hasn’t resolved all problems. I’ve had digestive issues for about 15 years now, so I no doubt have more than just one issue. The one supplement that improves my symptoms the most is colostrum. I’ve taken it on three separate occasions, and each time I’ve improved dramatically; I won’t be stopping this time.

L

lollipop

I used coconut oil, cinnamon oil and allicin. I also took lactoferrin, Serrapeptase and interfase for biofilms. The above improved things but hasn’t resolved all problems. I’ve had digestive issues for about 15 years now, so I no doubt have more than just one issue. The one supplement that improves my symptoms the most is colostrum. I’ve taken it on three separate occasions, and each time I’ve improved dramatically; I won’t be stopping this time.
Which colostrum do you use?

Luk3

Which colostrum do you use?
I use Immune-Tree. It's supposed to be true colostrum, taken within the first six hours. I read that another brand called Surthrival get their colostrum from the same source as Immune-Tree. I'm in the UK and buy from Aggressive Health Shop. Both brands are available there, but Immune-Tree is a little cheaper, so I get that.

L

lollipop

I use Immune-Tree. It's supposed to be true colostrum, taken within the first six hours. I read that another brand called Surthrival get their colostrum from the same source as Immune-Tree. I'm in the UK and buy from Aggressive Health Shop. Both brands are available there, but Immune-Tree is a little cheaper, so I get that.
Thank you!

Samurai Drive