Could I Eat 2kg Potatoes A Day Without Fear Bout Hyperkalemia?

Derok

hi everyone!
i was upping my carbs a bit cause i see potatoes help the most with my fatty liver issue than juices and fructose.
Non gluten spagetti give some kind of bad reaction, dont know why. maybe is the extruded protein. no idea...i think is related too with my liver not working 100%.

i could reverse diabetes2 and now i can eat those tasty potatoes.

Problem...i would like to eat 2kg a day (im working out too) could i do this fearless?

=) heil da potato!

Jennifer

Assuming you don't have kidney disease, I personally think your best guide is how you feel eating 2kg of potatoes daily and that you'll most likely stop craving them if you get to the point where your body has had enough potassium. But to help ease your mind, here are a couple quotes where Ray mentions diets abundant in potatoes:

"Potatoes are almost the perfect food if very well cooked, because you want to break down the starch and the non-starch ingredients of a potato have almost a perfect balance of nutrients, b vitamins, essential amino acids, carbs in the right proportion, and the only thing that is lacking in a pure potato diet is vitamin A and vitamin B12. They are a very balanced food." RP

December 4th 2013 radio interview:

"Q: Are cooked potatoes good? Sweet potatoes?

RP: Very good. New Guineans live on basically the traditional diet of almost pure potatoes for 51 weeks per year, and one week of pork feasts. They did not have any heart disease, not a high rate of cancer or any degenerative disease."

If this helps any, since August, I've been consuming at least 3 pounds worth of potatoes daily as my main protein source and haven't had any issues with the potassium. Fruits and dairy are also abundant in potassium and this is actually a good thing because potassium helps you to utilize/digest the carbohydrates properly, which IMO is extra important when dealing with a fatty liver.

If you find you have no pre-existing intestinal overgrowth, no issues digesting starch and don't suffer allergic reactions to nightshades, I think potatoes are a very nutritious food. And even with overgrowths, you can always juice the potatoes to gain their benefits. Potato juice is very healing to the intestines and its proteins (ketoacids) are easily assimilated which has the added benefit of taking a burden off the liver by reducing its exposure to endotoxins.

OP
D

Derok

perfect :D i will go on with my potatoe diet i little bit more ^^ .

are you eating 3 pounds of potatoe daily without any issues with endotoxins etc etc? no meat just potatoe?

Jennifer

I was getting over an intestinal overgrowth but wanting to stick to a 100% plant-based diet so I started out consuming immature potatoes (creamers) because they contain much less starch than mature potatoes. However, even with those I eventually noticed a returning of some old symptoms so I switched over to potato juice instead and getting my carbs from low to non-starchy sources. By doing this, I've been able to keep all the benefits I gained from the potatoes, while finally ridding myself of the overgrowth. Bonus is I now have a good "Peaty" plant-based protein source. I'm currently juicing about 4-5 pounds of potatoes a day.

I hope you do well on them. :)

T

tca300

Not a worry. Many vegans on youtube regularly eat 30 bananas per day and have shown via blood tests to have normal potassium levels.

BobbyDukes

I was getting over an intestinal overgrowth but wanting to stick to a 100% plant-based diet so I started out consuming immature potatoes (creamers) because they contain much less starch than mature potatoes. However, even with those I eventually noticed a returning of some old symptoms so I switched over to potato juice instead and getting my carbs from low to non-starchy sources. By doing this, I've been able to keep all the benefits I gained from the potatoes, while finally ridding myself of the overgrowth. Bonus is I now have a good "Peaty" plant-based protein source. I'm currently juicing about 4-5 pounds of potatoes a day.

I hope you do well on them. :)

Bit of a dumb question. But how do I juice potatoes? I've never actually tried this yet.

Jennifer

Bit of a dumb question. But how do I juice potatoes? I've never actually tried this yet.
Nah, that's not a dumb question, Bobby. :) I just got a Breville 850 watt centrifugal juicer to make it, but previously I was using a Vitamix. Below is my quote on how I make my potato broth that I posted on Nstocks' log. I use this broth as a milk replacement so I add greens and herbs to it for calcium.

"The easiest way is with a 700+ watt centrifugal juicer, but I currently make it with a Vitamix. I'm not positive but I think maybe a food processor could work or even a meat grinder. Basically, anything that will grind up the potatoes so you can squeeze out the juice. With these techniques you'll need a nut bag. Mine is nylon mesh.

After pealing and pulverizing the potatoes in the blender, I strain them through the nut bag into a large container and stick it in the fridge to let the starch settle to the bottom. It will form a fairly solid mass and you can ladle out the juice into a large pot to cook. Don't worry if you get some starch in with the juice because as it cooks, it will curdle and get strained later on.

At this stage, I like to add collards and herbs such as oregano and dill (calcium and magnesium), mushrooms (antimicrobial) and salt and simmer for at least an hour. After it's done simmering, you'll want to strain it through a colander into a bowl if you've added any extras I mentioned above.

Once the juice is collected, I take a paper coffee filter and place it over a large Ball jar, wrapping a rubber band around it to keep it in place and strain the juice through it. The curdles and herbs are captured, leaving a starch and fiber-free extract with a clarity like tea."

Ulla

I think because she wants to show the world that all potato diet brings many healthy benefits. She has never actually done it by herself so she is doing it for ten days. The weight loss is not her main goal. Some experiment for her.
She said that would use only potatoes, no oil/butter because she doesn't like it. She will have also non starchy vegetables.

Her talk about it..

Jennifer

Ah, Okay. Thank you for posting her video, naninani. :)

So she's basically doing a similar diet to what I did, except I drank fresh squeezed OJ for breakfast and the rest of my diet was the immature creamer potatoes with maple syrup. I also added a fair amount of salt to them which I suspect she might not given she follows a similar diet to Freelee and Harley (Durianrider) and other high carb/low-fat vegans/McDougallers.

I started out adding a small amount of fresh shredded coconut to my mashed maple potatoes, but I eventually dropped the coconut when I lost my desire for it. I tend to crave foods with minimal to no overt fats. I noticed I was losing fat fast and I'm already tiny as it is so I couldn't afford that. I quickly upped my calories and currently maintain on double the amount I was consuming the last few months of Peating.

I began relying on potatoes simply because the summer was over and so was the abundant variety of ripe fruit, and since I eat plant-based but also follow a lot of Ray's advice, they seemed like the tastiest, most nutritionally complete plant option during the winter. Ray says that among vegetables, potato protein is the only one that ranks up there with the animal proteins and is even better than egg protein.

The pros for me were the clearing of the chronic rash, brain fog, intestinal pain and depression I developed from consuming dairy, eating an abundance of cheap, tasty calories, no longer waking during the night and gaining muscle definition which I assume is from the initial fat loss.

The con was the starch started to resurrect my previous intestinal overgrowth and some of the symptoms that accompanied it. For me, the first sign is always a scent in my underarms, followed by a churning gut. One day of not consuming starch and my underarms are odorless again. The same happens when I don't consume dairy.

With that said, I don't want to sway anyone based on my experience. I personally destroyed my gut these past 6 years trying to tolerate dairy when clearly I'm allergic to it and this now dictates my current food tolerances. I believe a person's context is everything.

Ulla

Thanks for all that info.
I have never done "potato diet" before but I am thinking of it. Something like a little experiment. For three days or something.

If I understood correctly, you had that kind of diet for a few days or it was a longer phase? (potato diet)

zooma

In the video posted above, the girl has some text showing that 2000kcal of potatoes provides 50g protein.

I assume she got this info from a site like nutritiondata. Do they count the keto acids?

I can't remember where, but (I think) Ray said that potatoes have the same protein content as milk. But even whole milk (lowest protein to calorie ratio) has well over 100g protein per 2000kcal.

I'm sure that I have either remembered the quote incorrectly or have made some other mistake.

Jennifer

Thanks for all that info.
I have never done "potato diet" before but I am thinking of it. Something like a little experiment. For three days or something.

If I understood correctly, you had that kind of diet for a few days or it was a longer phase? (potato diet)
You're welcome!

I think it was mid August when I started eating mostly potatoes and switched from whole potatoes to the potato broth a couple weeks ago. So I did the diet for about 4 months.

Jennifer

In the video posted above, the girl has some text showing that 2000kcal of potatoes provides 50g protein.

I assume she got this info from a site like nutritiondata. Do they count the keto acids?

I can't remember where, but (I think) Ray said that potatoes have the same protein content as milk. But even whole milk (lowest protein to calorie ratio) has well over 100g protein per 2000kcal.

I'm sure that I have either remembered the quote incorrectly or have made some other mistake.
You have it right, zooma. :)

Nutritional databases don't account for a potato's ketoacid content. Here's the quote from Ray that I think you may be referring to?

"Two pounds of well-cooked mashed potato has the protein value similar to a liter of milk, about 33 grams of protein. A person would be able to live for a long time on two or three liters of either milk or 4-6 pounds of potatoes per day. The milk drinker would eventually need to supplement iron, the potato eaters would need to supplement vitamin A, possibly B12, but both of them are nearly perfect foods"

Jennifer

Seeing that quote, I was just thinking...

Would the juice from 4 pounds of potatoes, have about the same amount of protein as 2 liters of milk? All the protein is in the liquid portion of the potatoes? Can anyone tell me if I'm understanding this correctly?

brandonk

Seeing that quote, I was just thinking...

Would the juice from 4 pounds of potatoes, have about the same amount of protein as 2 liters of milk? All the protein is in the liquid portion of the potatoes? Can anyone tell me if I'm understanding this correctly?
I think you're right, as long as the juice was all extracted ... which may be a little hard to do? I just spend an afternoon reading about how to extract potato starch from potatoes (pretty easy, lots of high school students do it on youtube!), while hopefully keeping all the juice (hard, and nobody seems to know how!!).

Basically, I see that the manufacturing process for starch is here:
http://www.starch.dk/isi/starch/tm5www-potato.asp

So I'm guessing that to get the most juice we could first use a rotary grater or rasper to make slurry, and then (optionally) add a little sodium bisulphite solution, and then press that with a potato ricer to get some juice out, and then put the slurry into a centrifuge to get even more juice out, while re-using the juice that comes out of the sieve to re-wash the slurry.

I can't wait to try it! I also found a cool potato peeler that makes the worst part of the job (for me) a lot easier.

PS. somebody here asked about black potato juice, and yes, that's from oxidation, and the sodium bisulphite keeps the potato starch nice and white.

Jennifer

Huh...interesting! Do you think blending them with the Vitamix or even using a meat grinder (my brother has one) and then putting the slurry through the juicer would work? I also have my hydraulic press that could extract any residual juice. I'll just have to bribe someone to lug that thing up from the basement for me. :D

In regards to the black potato juice, I had though about running some lemons or pineapple through the juicer when I juice the potatoes. Do you think that would work at preventing the discoloration? I just remember using pineapple or lemon juice as a technique to prevent browning of cut fruit.

Oh, and do you mind sharing what potato peeler you came across? Is it a small child? If so, I can get one of those. I have nieces. Hehe!

Jennifer

Okay, I was just looking at the link you posted, Brandon. Where it talks about rasping...

"Rasping is the first step in the starch extraction. The goal is to open the tuber cells and release the starch granules. The slurry obtained can be considered as a mixture of pulp (cell walls), fruit juice and starch. With modern high-speed raspers, rasping is a one-pass operation only."

This may be a dumb question, but do you think freezing the potatoes beforehand would work at rupturing their cell walls, allowing for the starch to be released more easily?

Last edited:

brandonk

For some reason, the manufacturing process seems to prefer grating or rasping, but I don't know if that's a requirement. People who make latkes swear by fine grating or rasping for making the best slurry. Coincidence? It seems graters are really cheap compared to the heavy duty machinery you have at your disposal.

For a potato peeler, I was thinking of getting a tiny one named Jennifer. No, sorry, I mean this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Starfrit-Rotato-Express-Electric-Peeler/12442228

The freezing might cause the amylose to form a gel when the potato thaws, which might be harder to separate, I don't know? Lemon juice or vinegar might stop it from turning color, you're right!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals