Could High Dose Vitamin K2 Stop Absorption Of Other Fat Solubles? Or Other Problems?

AnonE

Say someone was taking 15mg to 45mg of vitamin K2 (Mk-4) on the daily for various reasons... (the jaw gains are real!)

Would it be possible that they would inhibit absorption of any other fat solubles that they're potentially competing with? Especially since this is such a high dose, something like 18,000% of the RDI. I don't understand the mechanism of fat soluble vitamins "competing" per se, but I've heard people talk about it mainly on these forums.

If so, and let's say it could release to lowered vitamin A and/or E, what might be some symptoms of this?

If not, can anyone think of potential issues involved in taking huge regular doses of K2? There's no known toxicity level I know, but I also don't think there's been studies on long term high dosage, or at least I don't know of any.

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

olive

Just take it away from other fat solulables and you’ll be fine.

OP
A

AnonE

How far apart, in e.g. hours?

Does anyone think that the dosage amount I mentioned (15mg+) could be problematic?

TeaRex14

I wouldn't entirely rule it out if I were you. I know vitamin A and vitamin D exist on a sort of "pendulum" for a lack of a better term. If you get too much A then your D levels will swing out of optimal ranges, and vice versa. Thing is 15mgs of K should never really be needed. Even if you're taking aspirin regularly all you'd need is around 3 to 5 milligrams. Much less if you're not on any anti-coagulants.

Bogdar

Good question. I had the same doubt that's why I don't take my K2/D when I'm having liver for example. But have no idea if it is true or not

OP
A

AnonE

Yeah honestly I've been feeling off the past week (energy levels, concentration, body not tightening up even with very solid workouts) and so I tried stopping K2 for now and adding back in A and E which I had stopped before. And wow I'm starting to feel good again.

I suspect for me there's a balance thing going on.

Whichway?

You are basically experimenting on yourself, unless anyone knows of any long term studies showing no effects from such high doses. Long term studies tend not to be done.

From my knowledge of nutrition, most nutritional factors have an RDA level which is the minimum necessary to maintain function, beyond that there is an adequate and then an optimal amount. Beyond the optimal amount can lie toxicity due to imbalances as many different nutritional factors are used to keep metabolism working well.

Relying on a single substance for well being is not the way we evolved. So taking that much K for a long time is really an experiment in the unknown.

OP
A

AnonE

Hmmm maybe not something I want to be on the cutting edge of...

How long would K2 stay in the body? Since it's fat soluble.

dukesbobby777

@Nick Borcic

He says this in post 96 of the estroban thread:

Studies show that the optimal ratio of vitamin A to vitamin D is about 5:1, so the product has 5,000 IU of vitamin A and 1,000 IU of vitamin D3 per serving. I could make it higher but a lot of people I know report bad side effects from doses of vitamin D3 above 1,500 IU per day (as a supplement).

Post 307 of the estroban thread:

The studies show that in doses of under 800 IU daily vitamin E does not have much effect on vitamin K2 status or its absorption/transport. I think there is a study showing that a human equivalent dose of 1,500mg tocopherols did not affect MK-4 levels in liver of rats even though it did affect coagulation time and thus vitamin K1 status. In the doses used in EstroBan the two vitamins are likely synergistic. Some people reported blood results showing high vitamin K and E levels after 1 month on EstroBan, so at least we know the two vitamins do not affect each other's absorption much in the doses used in EstroBan.

Those particular posts are about five years old, but the formulation of estroban hasn’t really changed that much since that time.

I’ve read a lot of his posts over the years and he’s been asked questions about the fat solubles (and their competition/absorption) lots of times.