Could Excess Salt Intake Be Involved In Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue?

lampofred

I know Dr. Peat is a fan of sodium and considers it energizing, but I'm reading some other texts (Ayurvedic handbooks) that point to excess sodium intake as a major cause of fatigue.

Dr. Peat mentions that eating salt causes adrenaline to go down, cortisol to go up, and thyroid hormone to increase. But isn't anything that causes adrenaline to go down and cortisol to go up causing dopamine to go down and serotonin to go up? In other words, isn't salt shifting you over to serotonin-dominance?

It is known that excess serotonin is highly involved in fatigue and excess pain sensitivity.

Last edited:

LUH 3417

Maybe we need more salt because of emf and other toxins. I like Ayurveda a lot but sometimes I remember it was developed when the world was completely diff

Makrosky

I think salt is one of the easiest things to eat by cravings. Salt to taste, that's it.

Whenever I try to use salt therapeutically my body always tries to stop automatically. I take this as a sign that I don't need anymore sodium.

With salt, more so than anything else, I would always go by cravings.

postman

I know Dr. Peat is a fan of sodium and considers it energizing, but I'm reading some other texts (Ayurvedic handbooks) that point to excess sodium intake as a major cause of fatigue.

Dr. Peat mentions that eating salt causes adrenaline to go down, cortisol to go up, and thyroid hormone to increase. But isn't anything that causes adrenaline to go down and cortisol to go up causing dopamine to go down and serotonin to go up? In other words, isn't salt shifting you over to serotonin-dominance?

It is known that excess serotonin is highly involved in fatigue and excess pain sensitivity.
When did Ray say that sodium causes cortisol levels to rise?

OP
L

lampofred

He says fibromyalgia is caused low calcium/Vitamin D, and calcium and sodium have some opposing effects on metabolism, so in a sense fibro is in fact related to excess sodium. But then again not really, similar to how BP is increased mildly by salt but the real cause in the long-run is low calcium.

Fibromyalgia and cytokines
I Rodriguez-Pintó, N Agmon-Levin, A Howard… - Immunology letters, 2014 - Elsevier
… IL-17 is the major cytokine released by Th17 cells and it has a major role in the pathogenesis
of inflammatory and autoimmune diseases … [27] found increased levels of IL-17A in patients with
fibromyalgia and correlated their levels with increased levels of IL-2, IL-4, IL-10, TNF-a.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...bromyalgia/links/0a85e5321ecdd6c5fd000000.pdf

The analyses showed that fibromyalgia patients present increased
levels of IL-17A. They also revealed
that plasma concentrations of IL17A
positively correlate with levels of IL-2,
IL-4 and IL-10, TNF and IFNγ.

(Look at the Plots,Yuge effects)

Increased salt intake above a approximated physiologic threshold of 500mg-1500mg Na per day
is responsible for polarization of initally "naive" T-helper cells (Th) to the highly aggressive Th17 Phenotype,
which is orthodoxically induced by severe intracellular infection like tuberculosis.Excess Na can do all of that without infection though.
"Osmotically neutral sodium retention".

Dawid

RP says to eat salt to taste and not a couple of teaspoons like do many in this forum. Eating to taste is enough to bring down adrenaline.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals