Could Cyproheptadine cause hypokalemia

Barbarossa

Hey Guys,

My question is:
Can Cyproheptadine in high dosages 12 mg (Cushings disease therapy) daily cause hypokalemia (low potassium) ?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Through what mechanism are you pondering?
I eat lots of potassium and drink tons of oj and take cyproheptadine few times a week. My potassium was normal but borderline low, so I am curious as well.

OP
Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Through what mechanism are you pondering?
I eat lots of potassium and drink tons of oj and take cyproheptadine few times a week. My potassium was normal but borderline low, so I am curious as well.
I don’t know the mechanism but saw a case study: https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s40278-019-70666-7.pdf

Author comment: "We report a case of acute onset quadriparesis which occurred after consumption of some drugs which were illicitly prescribed [misuse]". "[Steroid] leads to. . .hypokalemia by promoting the renal excretion of potassium, resulting in muscle weakness.
Dexamethasone. . .may cause paralysis by this
method. . .Cyproheptadine...directly inhibits potassium, sodium and N-type and L-type calcium channels in cardiac cells, result in hypokalemia and prolongation of QT interval."

InChristAlone

That sentence seems broken up.... I think it's more likely the steroids fault not cypro.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals