Could Bamboo Extract As A Supplement Do The Same As Bamboo Shoots?

TreasureVibe

See title. I am really wondering, it would make things alot easier. Bamboo extract is a popular supplement.

griesburner

interestint thought. would be nice to know as i tried to find a way to eat bamboo shoots every day on a regular basis but couldnt find any way to make it taste good except in a chinese dish cooked in a wok. but i dont wanna eat or cook that ever day.

Dave Clark

Isn't bamboo extract high in silica, which Ray Peat is not in favor of, if I read correctly. Supposedly, bamboo extract can have 70% silica content.

x-ray peat

Just guessing here but I think the benefit of bamboo shoots, like carrots, is in its fibrous structure which absorbs bile acids and endotoxins. Not sure if silica would do the same.

smith

+Bamboo is high in silica-
Might the form of silica (synthetic or natural) make the difference in whether or not it harms or heals? What about the touted "bio-available" forms of silica, like monomethylsilantriol and to a lesser extent orthosilicic acid? Are these the forms found in whole bamboo as well as the popular silica supplements like Bio-sil or Orgono?

Last edited:

x-ray peat

I think there may be a persorption risk. Basically the glass like molecules can get into your bloodstream and clog up the capilaries

tara

Just guessing here but I think the benefit of bamboo shoots, like carrots, is in its fibrous structure which absorbs bile acids and endotoxins.
I thought that was the point of Peat's recommendation too.
For which purpose bamboo extract would be as pointless as carrot juice.

wildworld1992

Just guessing here but I think the benefit of bamboo shoots, like carrots, is in its fibrous structure which absorbs bile acids and endotoxins. Not sure if silica would do the same.
Isn't bile acids very helpful? It's good for my digestion.