Cottage cheese

BingDing

I tried Charlie's recipe for cheese and was pretty surprised at how easy it was. I didn't measure out the vinegar, just dumped some in and the casein clumped up just like that. Drained it, salted it, and ate it all still warm!

I was looking around for some Peat friendly variations and found this recipe that looked good. The photos at the link make it easy to understand so I won't summarize it here. As I understand it using rennet instead of acid makes it sweeter.

I'm out of the really good milk I usually get so haven't tried it yet, but will soon.

Rachel

Thanks, BingDing. That looks awesome!
And it should be because David Lebovitz has a lot of yummy recipes.
He has excellent Peat friendly recipes for panna cotta and ice cream.

I guess I'd better rustle me up some rennet. ;)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think the cheese you made is the best when its just made and warm still. Yum!

Birdie

Dorito Loyalist said:
How much of the protein ends up in the cheese?
I would think most of the kind you want remains. Would there be some whey that you would get rid of? By draining it. Or is that just with yogurt and some store bought cottage cheese? Or is that just the lactic acid we drain out? I'm thinking of "curds and whey." From the old nursery rhyme.

kettlebell

"Curds and Whey"

The Casein stays with the cheese (Anti inflammatory) and the Calcium stays with the casein. Casein is the majority and whey is the minority protein so the majority of the protein stays with the cheese. The whey drains away in the liquid but there isn't much. This method produces very little lactic acid and the little there is can be rinsed from the cheese.

Thats why cheese is so awesome.

SheilaHelm1

Another recipe making cheese this way is an indian dish called Rasmalai, its more or less the same but instead of salt you add sugar and it is Gorgeous!!! I buy it cheaply at local indian sweet shops for about £1.20 a portion, its served in sweet milk too so if you haven't tried it please please do. Google it and try it, easy and awesome. Lemon juice does the same as rennet so if you can't buy rennet use lemon juice.

Kelly

SheilaHelm1 said:
Another recipe making cheese this way is an indian dish called Rasmalai, its more or less the same but instead of salt you add sugar and it is Gorgeous!!! I buy it cheaply at local indian sweet shops for about £1.20 a portion, its served in sweet milk too so if you haven't tried it please please do. Google it and try it, easy and awesome. Lemon juice does the same as rennet so if you can't buy rennet use lemon juice.

Just googled it and it looks incredible. I'm going to try it sometime when I feel like making a more involved dish.

Birdie

And here is a quick Cottage Cheese Cream: (along the same idea as the sweet Indian dish above)

2 cups cottage cheese
1/4 t vanilla
1/2 cup sugar

Mix in blender. My husband likes this with ice cream and strawberry sauce.

Strawberry Sauce:
Buy sliced froz strawberries
Cook a long time. 30 - 40 min simmer.
Strain. I strain out most of the pulp and the seeds.
Jar up. Fridge okay a week.

Birdie

kettlebell said:
"Curds and Whey"

The Casein stays with the cheese (Anti inflammatory) and the Calcium stays with the casein. Casein is the majority and whey is the minority protein so the majority of the protein stays with the cheese. The whey drains away in the liquid but there isn't much. This method produces very little lactic acid and the little there is can be rinsed from the cheese.

That explains it. I'm still buying mine at the grocery and straining it. The homemade sounds very good. ;)

I was just remembering that man who ate, what, a gallon or 2 gallons of milk a day, some of it made into COTTAGE CHEESE, with a half an orange and something else... Most of his diet was the milk.

He was part of a group trying to show the essentials of the essential fatty acids so he decided to test the theory for the group. He ate no extra fat. I think he took some magnesium. But after 6 months, his lifelong migraines had stopped and he'd lost the extra 10 pounds and his cholesterol was good. I can't remember it all.

So, he didn't prove that the EFAs were essential. Ray refers to him a lot.

sctb

Are you able to find a brand without gums and carageenan, Birdie?

- Scott

Birdie

Scott-
I use Daisy cottage cheese. They just carry the 2% at Safeway here.

Dan W

sctb, I've been cataloging the various cottage cheeses here. The only gum/carageenan-free brands I've found are Daisy (as Birdie mentioned), Nancy's All Natural, Friendship, and Kalona SuperNatural. There's also Seven Stars Farm available in some states, but I'm waiting to hear back from them about gum content.

sctb

Dan Wich said:
sctb, I've been cataloging the various cottage cheeses here. The only gum/carageenan-free brands I've found are Daisy (as Birdie mentioned), Nancy's All Natural, Friendship, and Kalona SuperNatural. There's also Seven Stars Farm available in some states, but I'm waiting to hear back from them about gum content.

Thanks, Dan! I'm in Canada, so I'll keep my eye out for any brands that I
see and let you know.

- Scott

kettlebell said:
"Curds and Whey"

Thanks.

Made this today and it was pretty delish. Hoping to make a habit of it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Had cottage cheese for the first time today. Got the Daisy brand, rinsed it, threw some honey and salt on it. Yum!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals