Cottage Cheese or Farmers Cheese?

J

j.

What's your favorite?

Both are made by adding an acid to separate the curds from the whey. The difference seems to be that for farmers cheese you press the curds to remove the whey, but when you make cottage cheese you leave the whey.

narouz

I believe Peat has said in an interview
that he rinses his cottage cheese now.
I think I heard this myself
and I'm thinking he said it was to avoid the lactic acid...

He said, summing up, something like:
"At least you end up with a clean curd."
Or something like that.
I made a mental note to myself to try that.

OP
J

j.

I might feel good about rinsing the cheese if the tap water didn't taste so bad, at least to me.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I really like fresh made farmers cheese thats still warm with some salt, maybe some preserves or some kind of jam, or keeping it total Peaty, simple syrup. Oh and if I do eat cottage cheese I do rinse.

OP
J

j.

Does anyone knows if anything special happens if one salts the milk before boiling it?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Salty cheese? :mrgreen:

OP
J

j.

I used salted milk for farmers cheese today. I think it tastes a lot better than adding salt after it's made. If I had to guess, I'd say it makes it more alkalizing.

OP
J

j.

Some people seem to make a big deal about washing or pressing the cheese, as if it makes a big difference. I found that if I wash it with a lot of water, there is very little whey or lemon left.

jyb

I once used some (black) balsamic vinegar instead. After rinsing the cheese, usually just squeezing water in and out with bare hands, the resulting cheese was fairly black, not uniform more like zebra stripes. So there is definitely something from the vinegar that sticks to the proteins somehow, even if the vinegar can barely be detected by taste.

Homemade cottage cheese is pretty tasty when still fresh. Overnight it's still edible but not very tasty. I sometimes eat the whole thing in one go, which is maybe 50g protein. Maybe I should go slower...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals