Cortisol Sets "aging-clock" Ahead

haidut

Forum Supporter
Life stress, glucocorticoid signaling, and the aging epigenome: Implications for aging-related diseases

Life stress, glucocorticoid signaling, and the aging epigenome: Implications for aging-related diseases

This is a great find...and not surprising at all. Peat wrote about this 30 years ago.
https://raypeatforum.com/community/quotes/3/
"...The main features of aging can be produced directly by administering excessive amounts of cortisol. These features include atrophy of skin, arteries, muscle, bone, immune system, and parts of the brain, loss of pigment (melanin), deposition of fat in certain areas, and slowed conduction velocity of nerves. The physiology of aging (especially reproductive aging) overlaps the physiology of stress.”"

rw39

This is a great find...and not surprising at all. Peat wrote about this 30 years ago.
“The main features of aging can be produced... | Ray Peat Forum
"...The main features of aging can be produced directly by administering excessive amounts of cortisol. These features include atrophy of skin, arteries, muscle, bone, immune system, and parts of the brain, loss of pigment (melanin), deposition of fat in certain areas, and slowed conduction velocity of nerves. The physiology of aging (especially reproductive aging) overlaps the physiology of stress.”"
To you, haidut, what is the single best thing at lowering cortisol?

haidut

Forum Supporter
To you, haidut, what is the single best thing at lowering cortisol?

There is no single "best thing" as there are multiple points at which cortisol can be opposed. Inhibitors of its synthesis (emodin, aspirin, DHEA) are one such point, inhibitors of its effects (pregnenoloone, progesterone, DHEA) are another, increasing its degradation (DHEA, thyroid, saturated fat) is yet another, and steering metabolism towards less active metabolites (DHT, 5-AR) is yet another. It really depends on each person and how the pathology of excess cortisol levels or activity manifested in their organism.

haidut

Forum Supporter

sladerunner69

Yep, and so is high adrenaline and the two hormones go hand in hand.

Many around the web claim that cortisol is necessary to feel energetic and motivated throughout the day, ala "adrenal fatigue" syndrome in which the adrenal glands don't produce optimal blood levels of cortisol.

While cortisol levels may help someone feels timulated, I am sure of the implication in degenerative conditions. MY question is whether thyroid/progesterone need to be used to replace cortisol? Or are very low cortisol levels probably nothing to be concerned by?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Many around the web claim that cortisol is necessary to feel energetic and motivated throughout the day, ala "adrenal fatigue" syndrome in which the adrenal glands don't produce optimal blood levels of cortisol.

While cortisol levels may help someone feels timulated, I am sure of the implication in degenerative conditions. MY question is whether thyroid/progesterone need to be used to replace cortisol? Or are very low cortisol levels probably nothing to be concerned by?

Adrenal glands do not fatigue, in fact they enlarge under chronic stress. Low cortisol (unless due to Addison's) is probably just a later stage hypothyroidism compared to earlier stages when cortisol levels skyrocket. Cortisol, just like any other steroids, depends on ATP, NAD and thyroid for synthesis but since it is the emergency steroid it is the last one to go down due to pathology.

sladerunner69

Adrenal glands do not fatigue, in fact they enlarge under chronic stress. Low cortisol (unless due to Addison's) is probably just a later stage hypothyroidism compared to earlier stages when cortisol levels skyrocket. Cortisol, just like any other steroids, depends on ATP, NAD and thyroid for synthesis but since it is the emergency steroid it is the last one to go down due to pathology.

As an emergency steroid why would cortisol synthase be so frequently noted in studies? I hesitate to consider cortisol as being very similar to adrenaline in that sense.

haidut

Forum Supporter
As an emergency steroid why would cortisol synthase be so frequently noted in studies? I hesitate to consider cortisol as being very similar to adrenaline in that sense.

I don't think there is "cortisol synthase", there is 11b-HSD1 when it comes to cortisol AFAIK. Also, I don't understand your question about why would it be noted so frequently in studies. What do you mean by that?

sladerunner69

I don't think there is "cortisol synthase", there is 11b-HSD1 when it comes to cortisol AFAIK. Also, I don't understand your question about why would it be noted so frequently in studies. What do you mean by that?

Yes that is what I meant by "cortisol synthase", just couldn't bring up the name. What I mean is that a lot of academic sources site cortisol as a reaction to stress and a mediator of stress damage to organs and such. A lot of the studies view cortisol as providing benefits, opposed to adrenaline which is only released during high emergency situations and is widely considered to be damaging.

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=search.displayRecord&uid=2004-13724-001

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/568/art%3A10.1186%2Fcc3040.pdf?originUrl=http://ccforum.biomedcentral.com/article/10.1186/cc3040&token2=exp=1492195851~acl=/static/pdf/568/art%253A10.1186%252Fcc3040.pdf*~hmac=b4c8334f82b86e59307c079264a2bb9c81a349c3e9652d29a86ad3f384e87959

Free Cortisol Levels after Awakening: A Reliable Biological Marker for the Assessment of Adrenocortical Activity

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yes that is what I meant by "cortisol synthase", just couldn't bring up the name. What I mean is that a lot of academic sources site cortisol as a reaction to stress and a mediator of stress damage to organs and such. A lot of the studies view cortisol as providing benefits, opposed to adrenaline which is only released during high emergency situations and is widely considered to be damaging.

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=search.displayRecord&uid=2004-13724-001

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/568/art%3A10.1186%2Fcc3040.pdf?originUrl=http://ccforum.biomedcentral.com/article/10.1186/cc3040&token2=exp=1492195851~acl=/static/pdf/568/art%253A10.1186%252Fcc3040.pdf*~hmac=b4c8334f82b86e59307c079264a2bb9c81a349c3e9652d29a86ad3f384e87959

Free Cortisol Levels after Awakening: A Reliable Biological Marker for the Assessment of Adrenocortical Activity

Both are damaging long term. They rise mostly to provide fuel in an emergency by dissolving your fat and your muscles/organs. If the elevation continues long enough you won't have much of you that's left.