Cortisol/Estrogen Impair Fertility; Progesterone/Pregnenolone Improve It

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted a study s few months ago about the role of progesterone in ensuring proper sperm motility, and as such being crucial for male fertility.
Male Fertility Requires Progesterone And Antagonism Of A PUFA Metabolite

This new study from the same authors analyzed the effects of a few other steroids and discovered that estrogen, cortisol and testosterone impaired sperm motility while progesterone and pregnenolone (sulfate) improved it. They conclude that elevated cortisol and testosterone in women could lead to fertility problems. Based on their earlier study, I would say the same is true in men except that it is cortisol and estrogen that are more problematic as testosterone has already been shown to be pro-fertility in males. Given the high levels of endocrine disruptors in our environment and the high stress levels (cortisol), it is not a surprise that so many couples have trouble conceiving.
On an interesting side note, this study probably explains why pregnenolone was used as a male fertility drug back in the early 20th century when pregnenolone was also enjoying success as a drug for rheumatoid arthritis. At the time doctors did not know why pregnenolone improved fertility in males but now we have (an) answer. Given the recent studies showing progesterone and DHEA improved fertility in females, these "youth" hormones Peat wrote about decades ago may become mainstream therapy for any couple trying to conceive.

Regulation of the sperm calcium channel CatSper by endogenous steroids and plant triterpenoids
Chemicals in folk medicines found effective blocking fertilization - Global Times

"...Last year, Lishko, Mannowetz and and former postdoctoral fellow Melissa Miller found that the hormone progesterone is key to opening the calcium channel and triggering tail whipping. The hormone binds to a protein called ABHD2, which in turn opens the channel. They began a search for other chemicals that would bind to ABHD2, either opening the channel, like progesterone, or blocking the channel.

"...In the new study, Mannowetz tested three other hormones: testosterone, estrogen and cortisol, a stress hormone. All three competed with progesterone and blocked tail whipping, though only testosterone and cortisol were effective at levels typical of the hormones' levels in the body. This suggests, she said, that stress and high testosterone levels in women decrease fertility in part by preventing sperm from penetrating the egg. They also found a second hormone that triggers tail whipping: a steroid structurally similar to progesterone called pregnenolone sulfate. "

Last edited:

Peata

Any idea on the amount of pregnenolone a male would need to take daily for this?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Any idea on the amount of pregnenolone a male would need to take daily for this?

The older studies from the early 20th century used 100mg - 300mg daily for 2-4 weeks. I posted some of them on the forum somewhere, but if you search PubMed for "pregnenolone fertility" you will find them.

Rad

Trying to conceive with the missus and as we are both in 40's (me 41, her 40) looking ofr some help.

Came across this.

DHEA Supplementation for IVF Fertility Treatment :: CHR

But the doses of dhea used are huge. 75mg in 3 equal, split doses. a day. The study is looking is treatment to help towards ivf and has testosterone testing to preent it getting to high.

Could she take less for the same effect ot combine it with some pregnenolone (as I have some on hand)?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Trying to conceive with the missus and as we are both in 40's (me 41, her 40) looking ofr some help.

Came across this.

DHEA Supplementation for IVF Fertility Treatment :: CHR

But the doses of dhea used are huge. 75mg in 3 equal, split doses. a day. The study is looking is treatment to help towards ivf and has testosterone testing to preent it getting to high.

Could she take less for the same effect ot combine it with some pregnenolone (as I have some on hand)?

Not all studies used such a high dose. If you search Pubmed you will find other similar studies which found benefit from 25mg and even 10mg DHEA daily. Combining with pregnenolone/progesterone should make it even more beneficial.

Rad

Not all studies used such a high dose. If you search Pubmed you will find other similar studies which found benefit from 25mg and even 10mg DHEA daily. Combining with pregnenolone/progesterone should make it even more beneficial.
Thanks, Haidut.

That's pretty much what we ended up doing. We could maybe afford to take a little more dhea than we are then.

After some heart racing from pregnenolone and then a new found irritability, we made a slight reduction of preg and she got used to it. She said that she felt a much more definite egg release. I'll take her word for it.

ddjd

how safe is DHEA during pregnancy. im talking about a very low dose, around 1-2mg, maybe once or twice a week.

or is DHEA to be completely avoided during pregnancy?

how safe is DHEA during pregnancy. im talking about a very low dose, around 1-2mg, maybe once or twice a week.

or is DHEA to be completely avoided during pregnancy?
I am also interested in this question.

If a woman is trying to improve fertility to conceive by taking progesterone from ovulation to mensuration, would she also benefit from a combination of dhea and pregnenolone? Or would the pregnenolone be skipped and just dhea taken?

Last edited: