Cortisol And Antidepressant Effects Of Yoga

Mito

Abstract
Context:
Hypercortisolemia is well-known in depression and yoga has been demonstrated earlier to reduce the parameters of stress, including cortisol levels.

Aim:
We aimed to find the role of yoga as an antidepressant as well as its action on lowering the serum cortisol levels.

Settings and Design:
An open-labeled study consisting of three groups (yoga alone, yoga along with antidepressant medication and antidepressant medication alone) was conducted at a tertiary care psychiatry hospital.

Methodology:
Out-patient depressives who were not suicidal were offered yoga as a possible antidepressant therapy. A validated yoga module was used as therapy taught over a month and to be practiced at home daily. Patients were free to choose the drugs if their psychiatrist advised. Patients (n=54) were rated on Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HDRS) with serum cortisol measurements at baseline and after 3 months. In 54 patients, assessments and blood test results were both available. 19 each received yoga alone or with drugs and 16 received drugs only. Healthy comparison subjects (n=18) too underwent morning cortisol measurements once.

Results:
Serum cortisol was higher in depressives compared with controls. In the total sample, the cortisol level dropped significantly at the end of treatment. More patients in the yoga groups had a drop in cortisol levels as compared to drug-only group. In the yoga-only group, the cortisol drop correlated with the drop in HDRS score (antidepressant effect).

Conclusion:
The findings support that yoga may act at the level of the hypothalamus by its ‘anti-stress’ effects (reducing the cortisol), to bring about relief in depression.

Cortisol and antidepressant effects of yoga

lampofred

Not saying this to criticize yoga but something to keep in mind is that many things can drop cortisol by slowing metabolism (such as alcohol), but the only healthy way to drop cortisol is by increasing progesterone.

OP
Mito

Mito

Not saying this to criticize yoga but something to keep in mind is that many things can drop cortisol by slowing metabolism (such as alcohol), but the only healthy way to drop cortisol is by increasing progesterone.
“Avoiding/Lowering stress. Basically, anything that increases CRF/CRH will decrease both GABA synthesis and GABA activity at the "receptors". Yoga lowers CRF/CRH and subsequently ACTH and cortisol, and that has been confirmed in quite a few human studies. The closest thing to yoga would be taking theanine, which produces the same brain patterns as meditation and yoga do.”
Brain Levels Of Gaba Predict Tactile Learning Ability

Lollipop2

Following. As a more than 35 year yoga practitioner, I can attest to these results. I once worked with a psychologist (not a psychiatrist) who sent me his clients with depression and I taught them yoga sequences that helps with depression. Results were extremely successful, but I had to stop due to moving cities. Any serious yoga practitioner or teacher will have similar corroborating stories.

Amazigh

Any serious yoga practitioner or teacher will have similar corroborating stories.

I also taught yoga for a few years. I don't have the bloodwork to prove it or anything, but it helped me be able to tolerate the mental/emotional pressure of going through a divorce. I clearly remember almost like a switch going off, in which suddenly I felt like nothing could knock me down anymore, whether work, divorce, single-parenting, etc. I just felt really good and healthy.

Lollipop2

I also taught yoga for a few years. I don't have the bloodwork to prove it or anything, but it helped me be able to tolerate the mental/emotional pressure of going through a divorce. I clearly remember almost like a switch going off, in which suddenly I felt like nothing could knock me down anymore, whether work, divorce, single-parenting, etc. I just felt really good and healthy.
Love your story ❤️ And OH MY I have experienced that switch that suddenly turns on! I am glad it isn’t just me lol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals