Correcting Linoleic Acid "deficiency" Clears Acne?

PUFAsfree2001

They probably have low linoleic acid levels because it was oxidized and those oxidation products, including free radicals, may be the irritants that caused the acne! Topical application of an omega 6 and/or 3 rich substance sounds like a terrible idea due to oxidation. And what would be the mechanism that would lead to any positive benefit? You could moisten it with coconut oil. That's what I use.

They probably have low linoleic acid levels because it was oxidized and those oxidation products, including free radicals, may be the irritants that caused the acne! Topical application of an omega 6 and/or 3 rich substance sounds like a terrible idea due to oxidation. And what would be the mechanism that would lead to any positive benefit? You could moisten it with coconut oil. That's what I use.
Coconut oil can plug pores, castor oil is better on skin, its a good combination.

Any thoughts on this? Is our sebum really unsaturated and why would acne people be "deficient"?
By what mechanism would applying a PUFA oil clear acne?

Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) such as linoleic acid (C18:2, n6) and arachidonic acid (C20:4, n6) can be converted by epidermal enzymes to metabolites that exhibit anti-proliferative and anti-inflammatory properties [11]. Generation of hepoxilin from linoleic acid also plays a role in skin barrier function, probably through a structural or signaling role [12,13].
Sebaceous gland‐rich skin had an increased dermal lipid content vs. sebaceous gland‐poor skin to which all the tested sebum component lipids could contribute by penetrating the dermoepidermal barrier. Of the lipids, oleic acid and linoleic acid promoted monocyte differentiation into alternatively activated macrophages. Moreover, linoleic acid also had an anti‐inflammatory effect in P. acnes‐activated macrophages, inhibiting the secretion of interleukin (IL)‐1β, IL‐6 and tumour necrosis factor (TNF)‐α. Squalene, palmitic acid, stearic acid and oleic acid augmented the secretion of IL‐1β, even in the absence of P. acnes, whereas oleic acid had a selective effect of inducing IL‐1β but downregulating IL‐6 and TNF‐α secretion.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/bjd.15754

Last edited:

benaoao

there's no doubt that linoleic acid is beneficial in small quantities. But the quote below is right on. Linoleic get oxidized quick if the diet is poor in antioxidants (vitamin E could help get started). So talking about the beneficial effects of LA becomes rather off topic. Note that I also bolded small quantities; people vastly overload the system with PUFAs. 10g a day at most, 2:1 ratio at most in favor of om6 (I have a 2:1 ratio in favor of om3 myself)

EIRE24

there's no doubt that linoleic acid is beneficial in small quantities. But the quote below is right on. Linoleic get oxidized quick if the diet is poor in antioxidants (vitamin E could help get started). So talking about the beneficial effects of LA becomes rather off topic. Note that I also bolded small quantities; people vastly overload the system with PUFAs. 10g a day at most, 2:1 ratio at most in favor of om6 (I have a 2:1 ratio in favor of om3 myself)
What foods would be good to cover these then?

GorillaHead

I am really baffled by how people think pufa is entirely bad. Here we see people talking about how its helped them tremendously and b6 did nothing for them.

we can work in absolutes with the human body. Its seems to me that a little bit of pufa might be a great thing

Hugh Johnson

I am really baffled by how people think pufa is entirely bad. Here we see people talking about how its helped them tremendously and b6 did nothing for them.

we can work in absolutes with the human body. Its seems to me that a little bit of pufa might be a great thing
I highly doubt that. Some things are just bad.

I have been using hydrogenated coconut oil on my skin and avoiding PUFA for a while. It works just fine but there was an adjustment period. It should also be noted that old people rarely have acne, it's the young ones that do. Which IMHO implies that while acne is a bad sign, it is a response that only happens to a skin that has the youthful vitality. I don't think it's b6.

Show me one piece of evidence that linoleic acid is beneficial.

GorillaHead

I highly doubt that. Some things are just bad.

I have been using hydrogenated coconut oil on my skin and avoiding PUFA for a while. It works just fine but there was an adjustment period. It should also be noted that old people rarely have acne, it's the young ones that do. Which IMHO implies that while acne is a bad sign, it is a response that only happens to a skin that has the youthful vitality. I don't think it's b6.

Show me one piece of evidence that linoleic acid is beneficial.
Without prostaglandins so many things would fail. And pufa are sources needed for prostaglandins.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals