Corn Tortillas

HollyLooyah

I read over and over again about having corn tortillas cooked in coconut oil. This is something I have not tried yet because I'm uncertain about the ingredients.

Are these tortillas you're purchasing pre-made? If so, could you list brands please?

If they are self-prepared, could you provide recipes?

Many thanks!

cliff

Any type of corn tortilla made with lime, ingredients should be corn, lime, salt maybe water.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
H

HollyLooyah

Thanks Cliff - I'm assuming you are buying yours premade?

Thanks Charlie - I'm assuming you are making yours with the flour? Care to share a recipe/method? I've never made tortillas before :oops:

narouz

At Whole Foods they have a lot of different kinds of totillas,
but only one that has the ingredient "trace of lime."
I've been using that,
but I have wondered if the "lime" noted is the alkali used to make it traditionally and Peatanically,
or if it is a bastardization of the process using the citrus lime
as I've heard was the mistake by Fallon and her group.
Those W.F.'s lime tortillas do have that funky tasted imparted by the alkali process,
so I've felt maybe they're correct/Peatian/traditional.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
HollyLooyah said:
Thanks Cliff - I'm assuming you are buying yours premade?

Thanks Charlie - I'm assuming you are making yours with the flour? Care to share a recipe/method? I've never made tortillas before :oops:

Water and salt. That's about it for me. Fry them in coconut oil.

Cloudhands

I eat baked tostadas from a brand called charros from my local grocery store. Ingeedients are corn flour, water, salt and calcium hydroxide (lime). They have 250mg of calcium in each one making them quite convenient as a calcium supplement. Theres also a brand called xochitl from texas that uses corn, palm oil, water, lime and sea salt