Corn And Potato Eating Centenarians

A village in China that has become a tourist destination to see centenarians.

Untitled.jpeg

OP
Westside PUFAs
West side, do you eat gluten or is your diet mainly gluten free high carb and low fat?

I do. The whole gluten free thing is a scam, mostly. Celiac disease is extremely rare. If so many people were truly celiac, you'd see people dying from malnutrition from a destroyed gut lining. Outside of true celiacs, the only other problem with gluten is being HLA-DQ, HLA-DQ2 positive. People who are hypothyroid/Hashimoto's, are usually HLA-DQ positive. There are tests to confirm it. So outside of being celiac and being HLA-DQ positive, gluten isn't the problem. It's all the other junk that people eat. A high quality sourdough is not just a source of sugar but it's also a source of high quality protein. There's a difference between eating low quality junk gluten in the average pizza dough vs. high quality properly prepared dough.

EIRE24

I do. The whole gluten free thing is a scam, mostly. Celiac disease is extremely rare. If so many people were truly celiac, you'd see people dying from malnutrition from a destroyed gut lining. Outside of true celiacs, the only other problem with gluten is being HLA-DQ, HLA-DQ2 positive. People who are hypothyroid/Hashimoto's, are usually HLA-DQ positive. There are tests to confirm it. So outside of being celiac and being HLA-DQ positive, gluten isn't the problem. It's all the other junk that people eat. A high quality sourdough is not just a source of sugar but it's also a source of high quality protein. There's a difference between eating low quality junk gluten in the average pizza dough vs. high quality properly prepared dough.

Thanks for the lengthy explanation. Explains a lot. So really it's only the well prepared sourdough or other breads you eat without crappy additives or oils that would contain gluten?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The whole gluten free thing is a scam, mostly.
I disagree. Ray Peat said gluten is toxic to everyone and that some people are more tougher then others, that's why they can take it in with no perceived issues. I believe that our metabolisms have gone so low that many people are not able to tough out the gluten anymore, so that is why so many people cannot digest it and it causes issues.

I went through a battery of tests and it was completely ruled out that gluten was an issue for me by the medical authorities. However, gluten causes immediate symptoms to me, and painful ones. I have tested this many a times, and when I take in gluten immediate symptoms come on. Someone has theorized here that it might actually be the iron in the gluten/bread, and I do wonder if that is the culprit of my pains from it. But something in that mix causes definite symptoms that are unbearable that put me in the hospital so I will be avoiding gluten as much as possible.

On a side note, it does seem vitamin B2 does decrease the symptoms I get from gluten. So if I do end up taking some in I make sure to take at least a couple hundred milligrams of B2 and that does relieve some of the burden.

paymanz

Maybe gluten is not that horrible but for sure its not best choice or optimal.

Same with starch.if you find really good fruit ,really high quality then I doubt you choice starch over it,but that good quality fruits are not always available unfortunately.

paymanz

Good thing about starches is that they kinda substitute leaves in diet,due to good manganese content,maybe that is why some people do enter on starch than fruits.

amethyst

I disagree. Ray Peat said gluten is toxic to everyone and that some people are more tougher then others, that's why they can take it in with no perceived issues. I believe that our metabolisms have gone so low that many people are not able to tough out the gluten anymore, so that is why so many people cannot digest it and it causes issues.

I went through a battery of tests and it was completely ruled out that gluten was an issue for me by the medical authorities. However, gluten causes immediate symptoms to me, and painful ones. I have tested this many a times, and when I take in gluten immediate symptoms come on. Someone has theorized here that it might actually be the iron in the gluten/bread, and I do wonder if that is the culprit of my pains from it. But something in that mix causes definite symptoms that are unbearable that put me in the hospital so I will be avoiding gluten as much as possible.

On a side note, it does seem vitamin B2 does decrease the symptoms I get from gluten. So if I do end up taking some in I make sure to take at least a couple hundred milligrams of B2 and that does relieve some of the burden.
Well it's also about the types of grains, and wheat they use in breads now. Grain 2,000 yrs ago were not the same as grains we eat today. The grains we eat today are heavily refined and are genetically modified and sprayed with glycosphate (Roundup). That's why today's grains are so bad. Bread, and it's grains, used to be extremely nutritious. I still eat organic oatmeal and some bread occasionally. But my point is, grain was not always the evil thing people portray it to be. Only evil people (big pharma) with greedy and evil intentions made mass produced bread not so good for you.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well it's also about the types of grains, and wheat they use in breads now. Grain 2,000 yrs ago is not the same as grains we eat today. The grains we eat today are heavily refined and are genetically modified and sprayed with glycosphate (Roundup). That's why today's grains are so bad. Bread, and it's grains, used to be extremely nutritious.
I agree with this 100%.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeah it sucks what they've done to our food supply. But ya just try to do the best you can and not worry about the rest.
I was just thinking the same thing. Things are about to change for the better though, the tide has turned. :D

schultz

I do. The whole gluten free thing is a scam, mostly. Celiac disease is extremely rare.

Ray disagrees with this.

CALLER: Do you think the test that tests you for gluten allergies are good, accurate?

SARAH JOHNNESEN MURRAY: Dr Peat, did you hear that question?

RAY PEAT: Well, they can very clearly demonstrate the enzymes involved in it. But I think gluten is toxic in itself to anyone. It's just that some people are more resistant to it. It has an overlap with the transglutaminase enzyme - there is a lot of it in the skin and the intestines - and it happens to be an enzyme that's activated by estrogen. I think that's why women have more of a problem with it. But it isn't some particular disease, it is that gluten is just absolutely not intended as a food. The seeds create the protein gluten as a storage form, but also as a byproduct it discourages animals from eating it because it contains these amino acids that contribute to inflammation. So the seed intends it to cause inflammation in the intestines and a very tough person can withstand it for a long time, but it's not a good idea for anyone to eat it.

He has spoken better about sourdough.

Why when there is talk about centernarian they will always says they eat vegetables.

Is it the vitamin K in veggies?

Tarmander

A good sour dough can usually be handled where a poor bread cannot, like west said. Also funnily enough, travel to France and bread becomes much more edible.

L

lollipop

Do you have a bakery providing or do you make your own? Thanks
Whole Foods Market near me has a sourdough without anything other than sourdough cultures from the flour and sea salt. No yeast. Good stuff. I get a loaf every two or three months or so. Also @tara has an awesome recipe for homemade - seems easy.

L

lollipop

My husband also has a bad reaction to gluten without ever a "diagnosis". He ate bread/pasta all his life: Italian family. We got married a few years ago, I took him off gluten and now when we end up having it rarely like socially etc. his head breaks out with red bumps within hours. Takes days/weeks for it to calm down. I noticed it right away and he didn't believe me. Now after such consistent clockwork reactions, he now realizes the connection.

His problem with seeing it was that he never had that kind of reaction all his life and he ate gluten everyday. False correlation: toxin was always present so no comparison possible. My next question to him was did you have digestive problems? He replied: "yeah my stomach has always been my weak spot." Bingo.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals