Cordyceps Sinensis 5-Alpha-Reductase Assay Of Medicinal Mushrooms

OP
E

Experienced

Right on. You are very thorough. I truly appreciate this. My next 4 months will be life changing and this will assist me greatly. Thankyou
Haha you're totally welcome! Like I said I was a newbie before on mushrooms haven't bought until I found a good resource about the bioavailibility u/Kostya93 on reddit helped me out with his subreddits and posts on there about the bioavailibility and the scientific studies that he found throughout his researchs. I would totally want to be kept up to date with your progress on mushrooms as I am also pumped by my own progress when I start taking it. Luckily I am nearby Oriveda brand lmao takes 1 day to be delivered.

I collect a lot of chaga at home in Alaska. Love it.
That sounds good! How do you prepare it exactly?

Ozonated magnesium has similar effects as Cordyceps.

Cordyceps contains lovastatin which is an effective way to get rid of M. Smithii, the archaea that produce methane in the gut and slow down gut motility probably due to the methane.

Ozonated magnesium does the same thing when taken on an empty stomach and it doesn’t have the statin in it.

Both of them when taken over a few days properly will increase oxytocin quite noticeably, which increases pleasure from relationships, sex and improves erections.

OP
E

Experienced

@Daniel11 begs to differ My Healing Story. For the record I had tried real mushrooms because Bill Lagakos ' said I should (affiliated link) and didn't notice anything at the time.
I'd be curious to try cs-4.
Measurement of β-Glucan in Mushrooms and Mycelial Products - with brand names

This paper is very important. It was published in 2016 in Journal of AOAC International. Here you can download the full article.

In this publication, the Megazyme test method for determining beta-glucan percentages in mushroom supplements was analyzed and evaluated by the AOAC Standards Organisation.

The result is that this method is well suited to determine beta-glucan percentages with only a small margin of error. This means that sellers no longer have an excuse not to specify beta-glucan on their labels. For the consumer this means more insight into 'what have I actually bought?'

Twelve products were purchased via Amazon and then tested.

Three things immediately became clear:

• - most products were impure because contaminated with undigested substrate (rice / grain in the form of starch - levels up to 83 % ! )
  • - most products are not based on mushrooms (= fruiting bodies) but on biomass (= the combination of mycelium with residual substrate)
  • - with those points in mind: the buyer of this type of products is often deceived and misled
The 12 tested products are not mentioned by name in this publication. Because the product description was verbatim it was not difficult to find out what the tested supplements were.

Here is the outcome as listed in the paper:

Test results of 12 mushroom supplements bought on Amazon

These are the brand names of the tested products:

1. Swanson Reishi mushroom
  2. Host Defense - MyCommunity® Capsules
  3. Host Defense - Stamets 7® Extract
  4. Nature’s Answer Reishi mushroom Standardized extract
  5. Lifeplan Reishi mushroom
  6. Now Foods Rei-Shi mushrooms
  7. Now Foods Cordyceps
  8. Aloha Pure Cordyceps
  9. Aloha Pure Red Reishi
  10. Swanson Cordyceps Sinensis
  11. Nature’s Way Cordyceps
  12. Swanson Full Spectrum Chaga Mushroom

Some supplements appear to score well (01, 04, 06, 07, 10) but those ones are not or only partly extracted. These supplements contain powdered dried mushrooms. The problem with these is the unpredictable bioavailability.

The effect of non-extracted products is unpredictable because 80% of the people can not or hardly digest raw mushrooms. link

The results of the popular Host Defense products are striking. The majority of the product is starch.

Aloha Medicinals is also very popular because of the low price of their products. Many 'private labels' buy their raw material from Aloha. These products are without exception based on biomass and contain few active ingredients.

Cheap turns out to be expensive, but expensive is also no guarantee of quality (Host Defense).

Again it becomes clear how important it is to read the information on the supplement facts label. If no beta-glucan is mentioned there, better look elsewhere.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The AOAC is a standards organisation.

I quote:

"AOAC INTERNATIONAL is a globally recognized, 501(c)(3), independent, third party, not-for-profit association and voluntary consensus standards developing organization founded in 1884.

[....]

AOAC standards are used globally to promote trade and to facilitate public health and safety."

OP
E

Experienced

Ozonated magnesium has similar effects as Cordyceps.

Cordyceps contains lovastatin which is an effective way to get rid of M. Smithii, the archaea that produce methane in the gut and slow down gut motility probably due to the methane.

Ozonated magnesium does the same thing when taken on an empty stomach and it doesn’t have the statin in it.

Both of them when taken over a few days properly will increase oxytocin quite noticeably, which increases pleasure from relationships, sex and improves erections.
@akgrrrl

Day 1: Lion's mane first capsule 450 MG

Not yet any positive effects but I definitely feel a difference I'm still hangover from the previous flight from today .

I still have to take one more capsule of lion's mane daily 900 MG of lion's mane

Aad

Measurement of β-Glucan in Mushrooms and Mycelial Products - with brand names

This paper is very important. It was published in 2016 in Journal of AOAC International. Here you can download the full article.

In this publication, the Megazyme test method for determining beta-glucan percentages in mushroom supplements was analyzed and evaluated by the AOAC Standards Organisation.

The result is that this method is well suited to determine beta-glucan percentages with only a small margin of error. This means that sellers no longer have an excuse not to specify beta-glucan on their labels. For the consumer this means more insight into 'what have I actually bought?'

Twelve products were purchased via Amazon and then tested.

Three things immediately became clear:

• - most products were impure because contaminated with undigested substrate (rice / grain in the form of starch - levels up to 83 % ! )
  • - most products are not based on mushrooms (= fruiting bodies) but on biomass (= the combination of mycelium with residual substrate)
  • - with those points in mind: the buyer of this type of products is often deceived and misled
The 12 tested products are not mentioned by name in this publication. Because the product description was verbatim it was not difficult to find out what the tested supplements were.

Here is the outcome as listed in the paper:

Test results of 12 mushroom supplements bought on Amazon

These are the brand names of the tested products:

1. Swanson Reishi mushroom
  2. Host Defense - MyCommunity® Capsules
  3. Host Defense - Stamets 7® Extract
  4. Nature’s Answer Reishi mushroom Standardized extract
  5. Lifeplan Reishi mushroom
  6. Now Foods Rei-Shi mushrooms
  7. Now Foods Cordyceps
  8. Aloha Pure Cordyceps
  9. Aloha Pure Red Reishi
  10. Swanson Cordyceps Sinensis
  11. Nature’s Way Cordyceps
  12. Swanson Full Spectrum Chaga Mushroom

Some supplements appear to score well (01, 04, 06, 07, 10) but those ones are not or only partly extracted. These supplements contain powdered dried mushrooms. The problem with these is the unpredictable bioavailability.

The effect of non-extracted products is unpredictable because 80% of the people can not or hardly digest raw mushrooms. link

The results of the popular Host Defense products are striking. The majority of the product is starch.

Aloha Medicinals is also very popular because of the low price of their products. Many 'private labels' buy their raw material from Aloha. These products are without exception based on biomass and contain few active ingredients.

Cheap turns out to be expensive, but expensive is also no guarantee of quality (Host Defense).

Again it becomes clear how important it is to read the information on the supplement facts label. If no beta-glucan is mentioned there, better look elsewhere.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The AOAC is a standards organisation.

I quote:

"AOAC INTERNATIONAL is a globally recognized, 501(c)(3), independent, third party, not-for-profit association and voluntary consensus standards developing organization founded in 1884.

[....]

AOAC standards are used globally to promote trade and to facilitate public health and safety."

What kind of benefits are you noticing from the cordyceps you are taking? And how many caps are you taking? Thanks.

OP
E

Experienced

What kind of benefits are you noticing from the cordyceps you are taking? And how many caps are you taking? Thanks.
I don't have any cordyceps atm and have never tried you should ask @ecstatichamster he uses. :) I'll hopefully tell you the benefits when I'm gonna start taking it and also how much I dose.

Aad

I don't have any cordyceps atm and have never tried you should ask @ecstatichamster he uses. :) I'll hopefully tell you the benefits when I'm gonna start taking it and also how much I dose.

Haha, my bad! Oriveda seems a very legit company. Even more than Nootropics Depot. Will try some from them.

Wagner83

People do not distinguish between 'mycelium' (read 'pure mycelium grown in liquid) and 'biomass' (the mixture of mycelium and the undigested grain/rice in which it was cultivated; also marketed as 'fermented'). That last one is mainly useless starch (> 60%). Stamets 's products are biomass-based and very poor, quality-wise.

The products he's selling are 60 - 70% useless starch (!) and only 30 - 40% mushroom material. He confirms this himself in one of his patents. Selling this stuff is a ripoff with the prices he's charging. On top of that, his products are not extracted and therefore have an unpredictable bioavailability.

He also does not guarantee a single active ingredient and refuses to share test reports, not even about the heavy metal content. More red flags !

As for the mycelium thing, the idea that fruiting body-based supplements are always preferable over mycelium-based supplements is a widespread misunderstanding on Reddit and completely wrong.

In several cases supplements based on pure, liquid-grown mycelium are preferable over fruiting body-based supplements.

• Lion's Mane mycelium contains erinacines, which are the most powerful NGF-inducers. These are not found in the fruiting body. See this thread for more info about this. If you want the best Lion's Mane you should get an alcohol extracted product containing pure mycelium. It should specify and guarantee the NGF-inducers (terpenes, erinacines)

• Cordyceps sinensis CS-4 supplements are always based on mycelium.

• Turkey Tail research has been using almost exclusively mycelium (the famous PSK and PSP are mycelium-based).

TL;DR :If there are decent specs on the label (guaranteed percentages of glucans, (tri)terpenes etc.) this whole discussion would be irrelevant immediately. But most vendors like to keep things vague or are ignorant. Biomass-based products will never specify anything because there nothing to brag about. Stamets knows but prefers to ignore the science.

Is Paul Stamet's product line a scam since it uses only mycelium? : MushroomSupplements
So realmushrooms claims the fruiting body shouldn't be used. Yet oriveda is 40 % cordyceps militaris fruiting body as they claim it is high in cordycepin. Something doesn't add up here. They also use 60% cs-4 cordyceps which is actually a very cheap supplement as suggested on one of the reddit pages. From what I remember it was around 30 dollars per kg or a something close to it. They are selling their products at an incredibly high price, more than 70 dollars for 120 capsules.
It sounds to me like many people are trying to rip customers off while accusing all the competing merchants to be mean lying thieves: having retailers as the main source of information isn't ideal!

OP
E

Experienced

So realmushrooms claims the fruiting body shouldn't be used. Yet oriveda is 40 % cordyceps militaris fruiting body as they claim it is high in cordycepin. Something doesn't add up here. They also use 60% cs-4 cordyceps which is actually a very cheap supplement as suggested on one of the reddit pages. From what I remember it was around 30 dollars per kg or a something close to it. They are selling their products at an incredibly high price, more than 70 dollars for 120 capsules.
It sounds to me like many people are trying to rip customers off while accusing all the competing merchants to be mean lying thieves: having retailers as the main source of information isn't ideal!
Can't say sh*t about any retailers or brands , but I can definitely tell you that all of the mushrooms are working for me from oriveda.

akgrrrl

@akgrrrl

Day 1: Lion's mane first capsule 450 MG

Not yet any positive effects but I definitely feel a difference I'm still hangover from the previous flight from today .

I still have to take one more capsule of lion's mane daily 900 MG of lion's mane

Gosh you are so diligent on this track, and fearless to experiment! Sorry I havent been attentive, I am readying for the last leg of my year ling, 5,000 mile drive across America. Will be headed up the Inside Passage in the weks to come, with sketchy connectivity. But I am with you. Listening intently, and prepping for my own 90 day program oct thru Dec. Thankyou, thankyou.

OP
E

Experienced

Gosh you are so diligent on this track, and fearless to experiment! Sorry I havent been attentive, I am readying for the last leg of my year ling, 5,000 mile drive across America. Will be headed up the Inside Passage in the weks to come, with sketchy connectivity. But I am with you. Listening intently, and prepping for my own 90 day program oct thru Dec. Thankyou, thankyou.
I'm. Crazy I got Reishi , Chaga , cordyceps , and lion's mane also using Tribulus so this will be a huge stack. I'm not sure which one is gonna be beneficial and what to note. :oops::joyful:

OP
E

Experienced

So realmushrooms claims the fruiting body shouldn't be used. Yet oriveda is 40 % cordyceps militaris fruiting body as they claim it is high in cordycepin.
There could be something that we missunderstand but check their COA definitely cordycepin is high on the list which we don't know what the cause is. Realmushrooms definitely uses different growing method.

OP
E

Experienced

I'm also gonna stop using Cordyceps after emptying the bag. There is no noticeable difference with breath or anything similair to lung improvements. And cordyceps is not my thing to go because it's high in adenosine I drink a lot of coffee so it downregulates the effects of Adenosine from Cordyceps it'll impossible to feel the benefits if you're a coffee drinker. Because I drink alot probably cordyceps is the one that is waste for time or money.

akgrrrl

Also, on the chaga..i let it dry out, shred it, make a tea. Steeping for nearly 24hrs in the fridge. I have been collecting black spruce resin/sap also, prob have 5 lbs or so because i make the best body balm ever, good mustache and beard conditioner, and hand salve too. Winter is coming up!

akgrrrl

I only drink non caffeinated my gaba receptors got damage from prescribed benzos after reconstructive surgeries a big accident

OP
E

Experienced

Also, on the chaga..i let it dry out, shred it, make a tea. Steeping for nearly 24hrs in the fridge. I have been collecting black spruce resin/sap also, prob have 5 lbs or so because i make the best body balm ever, good mustache and beard conditioner, and hand salve too. Winter is coming up!
Chaga itself sounds yummy lol I would have preferably mixed it with my coffee or something. Chaga looks like bad boy and good tasty yummy mushroom. Don't know why though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals