Cordyceps militaris Fruit Body Extract increases testosterone and DHT secretion

cupofcoffee

The androgens testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) are essential for a variety of systemic functions in mature males. Alteration of these hormones results in late-onset hypogonadism (LOH) and benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). The fruit bodies of fungi of the genus Cordyceps have been regarded as folk medicine or health food with tonic and antifatigue effects. The extract from the fruit body of Cordyceps militaris parasitizing Samia cynthia ricini (CM) was evaluated as a novel-candidate natural product for ameliorating male andropause symptoms. To explore the effects of CM on LOH and BPH, CM was applied to rat models and cultured testicular cells and prostate cells. The concentrations of androgens in the serum and culture media were determined by ELISA. Expression of steroidogenic enzymes and androgen-related genes was evaluated by qPCR, and prostatic cell proliferation was assessed with the cell-viability assay. CM maintained the serum levels of testosterone and DHT, but inhibited testosterone-induced prostate hypertrophy. CM also increased the secretion of testosterone and DHT by primary testicular cells, with no changes in the mRNA expression of steroidogenic enzymes, but decreased the growth of prostatic cell lines. Our data suggest that CM could improve both LOH and BPH in males

I personally haven't tried cordyceps but their pro-libido and pro-energy effects are well know in the nootropic community, in fact they are often combined with lion's mane, which is known to lower libido and dht, to counteract its side effects.

shine

I like it. The CS-4 extract is cheap and effective. Even protects the lungs from corona virus infections like SARS. Great stuff. Have been taking it for about 10 months now.

Mauritio

I like it. The CS-4 extract is cheap and effective. Even protects the lungs from corona virus infections like SARS. Great stuff. Have been taking it for about 10 months now.
Where did you buy it ?

Mauritio

Increased serum testosterone and estradiol-17 (E2) concentrations were found in rats with the CM supplementation (p < 0.05), but not other hormones such as follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH) or prolactin. Importantly, percentages of motile sperm cells were also enhanced significantly (p < 0.05) paralleled the serum testosterone pattern from the supplement groups as compared to the control group.

Cordyceps sinensis and cordycepin stimulate mouse Leydig cell steroidogenesis.

Mauritio

Besides testosterone it also seems to increase progesterone . It always a sign of a good systemic effect if something elevates testosterone and progesterone.

"Data show that progesterone production significantly increases with CS treatments in dose- and time-dependent relationships [36], [37]."

OP
cupofcoffee

cupofcoffee

Besides testosterone it also seems to increase progesterone . It always a sign of a good systemic effect if something elevates testosterone and progesterone.

"Data show that progesterone production significantly increases with CS treatments in dose- and time-dependent relationships [36], [37]."
woah, thank you for all the digging you're doing!

What is a solid legit product, does it need to be a dual product, Sinensis + Militaris to maximize effects??
@Jing @Jib Ever used Cordyceps??

shine

GenericName86

I've tried cordyceps from real mushrooms and oriveda and noticed effects from both. oriveda is quite expensive though.

shine

What is a solid legit product, does it need to be a dual product, Sinensis + Militaris to maximize effects??

The polysaccharides in sinensis and militaris are very similiar, almost identical. Militaris is easier to produce, but they are almost the same thing. I have experience with both and can't tell a difference.

Mauritio

Via german amazon, vitabay product.

This one:

Started with 1 capsule 3 times daily for a couple months, now I am taking 1 capsule 2 times daily (morning + evening).
Great awesome ? and did you notice any benefits you could ascribe to higher T/DHT?

AlbertScent5G

Cordycepin seems like a strange active constituent found in cordyceps.

It's just a hydroxyl group away from being adenosine (building block of ATP).

Apparently it behaves in a manner similar to adenosine, which would suggest that it may do the opposite of what caffeine does.

But users report it to be stimulating.

Ras

I get all my mushroom products from Nootropics Depot - I think their quality is best. Use the coupon codes NDSUBREDDIT, or REDDITS, for 10% off.

Mauritio

Attachments

• 20201231_202423.jpg
    20201231_202423.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 44
I took Cordyceps (sinesis extract pills) in the past to raise my libido and that worked quite well. (Since finding out about Ray Peat I started to test so many substances that there was no more room for Cordyceps and I almost forgot about it's good effects. Will have to look into this again.)

Aromatase Inhibition in Medicinal Mushrooms.jpg
5-Alpha-Reductase Assay of Medicinal Mushrooms.jpg

According to above charts Cordyceps (sinesis) mildly inhibits aromatase while mildly activating 5-alpha reductase (note that the chart talks about 5ar inhibition, but Cordyceps has more than 100% of remaining activity, so it actually raises it).

Therefore it should not just increase DHT, but also the precursors of androsterone and allopregnanolone, which could explain Cordyceps' antidepressive and anxiolytic effects!

Mauritio

I took Cordyceps (sinesis extract pills) in the past to raise my libido and that worked quite well. (Since finding out about Ray Peat I started to test so many substances that there was no more room for Cordyceps and I almost forgot about it's good effects. Will have to look into this again.)

View attachment 21004View attachment 21005

According to above charts Cordyceps (sinesis) mildly inhibits aromatase while mildly activating 5-alpha reductase (note that the chart talks about 5ar inhibition, but Cordyceps has more than 100% of remaining activity, so it actually raises it).

Therefore it should not just increase DHT, but also the precursors of androsterone and allopregnanolone, which could explain Cordyceps' antidepressive and anxiolytic effects!

Awesome thanks. Cordiceps turns out to be quite the peaty food . Inhibiting estrogen ,raising T,Dht and progesterone .
Sounds awesome, cant wait to try it .

Cordyceps sinensis increases oxytocin. I never figured out why. I discussed this extensively with Travis.

I wouldn't make a steady diet of it though as it is high in lovastain.

Cordyceps sinensis increases oxytocin. I never figured out why. I discussed this extensively with Travis.

I wouldn't make a steady diet of it though as it is high in lovastain.
That would be a good thing, oxytocin is love hormone, think most people would benefit. @Peater Griffin thanks for your replies mate :):

OP
cupofcoffee

cupofcoffee

That would be a good thing, oxytocin is love hormone, think most people would benefit. @Peater Griffin thanks for your replies mate :):
Meh, i don't understand the hype around oxytocin especially because its receptors are upregulated by estrogens and if i'm not wrong, some people here consider it a stress hormone.

A positive thing is that it might increase 5AR
Oxytocin significantly increased the total 5-alpha-reductase activity of PrEC but not of PrSC. 5-alpha-Reductase I gene expression and enzyme activity were also increased (P<0.05) in PrEC by oxytocin. Oxytocin significantly increased type II activity, but not expression, in PrEC. Oxytocin did not significantly affect 5-alpha-reductase activity or expression in PrSC.