Copper Restores Damaged Cytochrome C Oxidase Activity

Douglas Ek

@Douglas Ek Wow! thank you for all this info!
I did not get a hair mineral analysis, but none the less, much of what you have stated is beneficial info for in my attempt to understand all this. Coincidentally, I do have reddish brown hair and not a single gray despite the fact that I turn 40 on the in a couple weeks. At one point I read hair color could be a clue to mineral status but it didn't seem like a science solid enough to base and valuable conclusions upon. My problem comes from my physician who, from some blood labs that were drawn a few weeks ago, determined that it's the copper/zinc ratio that is too high to the point that it is causing oxidative stress. She put me on Zinc, albeit temporarily, but still I'm concerned since I'd prefer to not take supplements at all, but after having a frighting emergency room visit I decided to follow her advice.
Here's the blood lab result; in your opinion, do you think it'd be safer to take chlorophyll instead of zinc?

View attachment 9853

Hi! I dont believe youre toxic or deficient. What's your iron status? Ferritin?
Whats your symptoms?
Vitamin A in the form of retinol is good to help produce ceruloplasmin binding more of your serun copper.
Induction of ceruloplasmin synthesis by retinoic acid in rats: influence of dietary copper and vitamin A status. - PubMed - NCBI

Your vitamin D seems low. Should optimally be at 70. Magnesium increases vitamin D

Zpol

@Douglas Ek , thanks for having a look at my labs, much appreciate it. My iron is in range, no problems there.
IRON - 114 ug/dL (standard range 37 - 170 ug/dL)
TOTAL IRON BINDING - 318 ug/dL (standard range 250 - 450 ug/dL)
TRANSFERRIN SAT - 36 % (standard range 15 - 50 %)
FERRITIN SERUM - 29 ng/mL (standard range 20 - 200 ng/mL)

The symptoms were dizziness, nausea, lack of appetite, pressure in my head, migraines, extreme fatigue, and gastritis (acute). I previously had blood work showing various other deficiencies as well (I have Celiac and malabsorption issues), including Vt. D, Vit A, which I am now taking a double dose of Estroban for help with that, plus some others till my guts heal. RP recommended a UVB lamp to help with Vit. D instead of just the supplements (too much D in supp form makes my symptoms worse).

Thank you for the link regarding the retinoic acid. I've been looking for ways to increase ceruloplasmin but hadn't seen that yet. I did read about magnesium so I've upped that as well.

Glad I came across this thread.

Douglas Ek

@Douglas Ek , thanks for having a look at my labs, much appreciate it. My iron is in range, no problems there.
IRON - 114 ug/dL (standard range 37 - 170 ug/dL)
TOTAL IRON BINDING - 318 ug/dL (standard range 250 - 450 ug/dL)
TRANSFERRIN SAT - 36 % (standard range 15 - 50 %)
FERRITIN SERUM - 29 ng/mL (standard range 20 - 200 ng/mL)

The symptoms were dizziness, nausea, lack of appetite, pressure in my head, migraines, extreme fatigue, and gastritis (acute). I previously had blood work showing various other deficiencies as well (I have Celiac and malabsorption issues), including Vt. D, Vit A, which I am now taking a double dose of Estroban for help with that, plus some others till my guts heal. RP recommended a UVB lamp to help with Vit. D instead of just the supplements (too much D in supp form makes my symptoms worse).

Thank you for the link regarding the retinoic acid. I've been looking for ways to increase ceruloplasmin but hadn't seen that yet. I did read about magnesium so I've upped that as well.

Glad I came across this thread.

Yeah ive notived that supp vitamin D gives me migraines. Could be through depleting magnesium. Taking mag helped me s lot with migraines. Even though your iron looks good I would actually raise my ferritin if I where you. I had ferritin in 50 and raised mine to 150 and fatigue and nausea of like being so tired went away. Do you have restless legs when sitting still?

Zpol

Yeah ive notived that supp vitamin D gives me migraines. Could be through depleting magnesium. Taking mag helped me s lot with migraines. Even though your iron looks good I would actually raise my ferritin if I where you. I had ferritin in 50 and raised mine to 150 and fatigue and nausea of like being so tired went away. Do you have restless legs when sitting still?

Good to know. I do have a problem with mag, it's always low no matter how much greens I eat and even when taking supp's. I can't get quality liver or even fresh liver so I know I haven't been eating enough so that's half my prob. It'd be perfect for getting the iron, zinc, copper I need. I'll dish out the cash and get order from US wellness meats.
Question for you, do you drink OJ or any high vit c foods along with iron rich foods to help with iron absorbtion? I've been avoiding doing this and drinking coffee instead to prevent too much iron lol.

crsnpalmer

I have recently started supplementing 2-4mg of copper gluconate. It has been 5 days. Motivation and energy have increased. I have had to use the bathroom much more frequently. Could this be a die off of some sort? I haven't experienced dry skin or brain fog-usually the experience when having loose stools.

golder

How many milligrams of copper bisglycinste can I take per day whilst having no real concern with potentially lowering zinc?
I don’t get on with zinc tablets at all and my diet is moderate in zinc, but I want to take more copper without diminishing returns. Thanks.

ddjd

Where do you all buy copper succinate?
Hey @Waynish I'm experimenting again with succinic acid, and decided to try and make my own copper succinate. Although I have no idea if this is right;

I mixed powder from a capsule of 2mg copper bisglycinate into hot water. Added around 500mg- 1g of succinic acid. Waited till it had dissolved a little.
Finally added sodium bicarbonate to neutralise the acidity.
(@haidut maybe you can advise if this is correct?)

Drank half of the mixture as around 500mg succinic acid is most you'd want really.

EXTREMELY dopaminergic. Feels like I've had 3 coffees. But very pleasant. Succinic acid is also a GABA promoter if I remember.

Can highly recommend 👍

Last edited:

Olmec

I mixed powder from a capsule of 2mg copper bisglycinate into hot water. Added around 500mg- 1g of succinic acid. Waited till it had dissolved a little.
Finally added sodium bicarbonate to neutralise the acidity.
(@haidut maybe you can advise if this is correct?)
Afaik, you'd need a more alkaline form of copper to react with the succinic acid, eg Copper bicarbonate/carbonate/hydroxide. The bisglycinate form isn't sufficiently reactive I think...

Potentially you just made Sodium Succinate(!)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals