Copper Restores Damaged Cytochrome C Oxidase Activity

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by haidut, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Mito

Mito Member

Did you happen to measure serum copper at the same time as ceruloplasmin?

2. Captain_Coconut

Captain_Coconut Member

That is my suspicion as well. I think if ceruloplasmin increases then you must have increased the bio-compatible form of copper. I also think any chelated form of copper should be about the same as food form of copper, possibly safer? And if people legitimately see grey hairs reverse from a copper supplement, or experience reduction in joint pain - then that also must mean it is effective enough. If this is anything like the difference between heme iron and iron supplements - iron supplements may be safer as the body doesn’t absorb it as easily as heme (easy to get iron overload from heme sources) - I know some argue the opposite - but I’m not so sure.

Aspirin likely would prevent against copper toxicity, just like how it can protect from iron.

3. Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

Yeah dude i went from having severe joint pain and cracking because of high zinc supplement to complete reversal within 2 weeks of high doses of chelated copper. Like 6-10mg everyday. Ive even taken 20mg in a day didnt feel any side effects at all. Only benefits. All my symptoms of anxiety, low energy, headache, join ache went away. Dont **** with zinc is my take away. Besides theres easy to find tons of studies showing how zinc displace both copper and iron but no studies for the opposite. I highly doubt copper has the same effect on zinc as zinc do on copper. In fact i read somewhere that copper is needed in huge amounts to lower zinc. But zinc is only needed at above 15mg a day to show loss of copper to some degree. People with wilson disease take zinc to protect themselves from unbioavailable copper as they cant make ceruloplasmin thats how effective it is. Anyway. I dont think the form of copper matters that much ive noticed effects from almost all copper supps ive tried. But in my opinion a simple glycinate or bisglycinate has worked wonders for me. No need for mitoenergy expensive bull****

4. Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

My ceruloplasmin went up. And also taking copper increased my serum zinc even though i didnt take zinc while opposite happened when i took zinc my serum zinc went down and i started feeling ***t. Theres a connection copper is needed for zinc metabolism. If the chelated or even other forms of copper didnt work then i wouldnt see so many of my health problems go away. I had really low ceruloplasmin and im 100% sure that was my problem. Mitoenergy is not worth the money. Just go normal chelated

5. sugarbabe

sugarbabe Member

I know someone who was taking zinc who apparently got heart side effects that went away with copper. So it can be a problem with high amounts of zinc.

6. Captain_Coconut

Captain_Coconut Member

Looking at nutrition data self.com nutrient search tool and seeing what comes up for foods highest in copper / lowest in zinc; as well as highest in zinc / lowest in copper. My observation is that the higher in copper and lower in zinc foods are generally less commonly consumed, at least here in the states, seems to be more vegetarian overall. I’ve always gotten a large amount of protein and calories from cheese, and until now wasn’t aware how high zinc and low copper that must have been making me overtime.

7. Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

Yeah I think everywhere its sorta the same. Copper is more found in vegetarian food but seafood and liver is great copper sources. Usually where you find zinc you find copper aswell so not totally scewed. I think most important is making sure you get copper from diet and avoid supplements with zinc in it

8. Mauritio

Mauritio Member

Listen, im not endorsing this product or anything. But taking Copper 1 made such a difference esp compared to Copper 2 . Its crazy . I detoxed so hard the first two times that i only could take a fraction of a capsule. Its expensive but esp for people with lyme /candida it seems to work like a charm. There is one old lady in the copper facebook group and she struggled for years with lyme disease ,she says as long as she takes the copper she is symptom free.

9. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Member

Talked to Charlie yesterday. Asked about the powder, which is a good economic way to use his product. He said you can even mix it in coconut oil, but if you mix with powders make sure they're not hydroscopic powders. Moisture and heat will turn the copper 1 blue, and then it is no good. I think inositol powder would be good to mix it with, I am still researching what would be a good inexpensive base powder, any suggestions would be helpful.

10. Mauritio

Mauritio Member

dont you have to buy huge amounts of the powder woth several hundred dollars at once ?
    glycine could also be a possibility ...

11. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Member

One half a gram, 500mg. is about $60. At 1 mg/day that is a year and a half supply. Adding in the base powder, it comes out to about $4/month, which is affordable. Now, if you were going to be taking 3mg/day, if wouldn't be as cheap as buying an inexpensive copper supplement. But, I believe that the organic copper 1 is going to be better for your health, and contribute less or not at all to copper toxicity.

12. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Member

Here is the link: https://www.mitosynergy.com/product/copper-niacin-91-00-per-1-2-gram-copy/

13. Captain_Coconut

Captain_Coconut Member

Wouldn’t it turn blue once inside your stomach??

14. Mauritio

Mauritio Member

15. Zpol

Zpol Member

Is there a good amount of ceruloplasmin to have if you have elevated copper to zinc ratio? I have this issue but my ceruloplasmin is low end of 'normal'. I'm not understanding all the complexities of copper to zinc balance. On a side note, I had been taking 125mg of magnesium citrate along with my egg shell calcium, so I'm wondering if this was a factor in my test results.

There's so much I have yet to learn about the interactions of copper, zinc, citrate (i have since stopped with the magnesium citrate since it apparently blocks the effect of ceruloplasmin and causes calcium displacement), per this helpful thread by @Mito ...

What I understand so far...
    If you already have lots of copper, but you don't have enough ceruloplasmin, and you then consume copper via food or supplement you will feel awful (for example, I feel worse when I eat liver). If you do have enough cerulplasmin, you experience the benefit of restoring damaged Cytochrome C Oxidase Activity.

So the question is; how do you increase ceruloplasmin?

Thanks for this link. I am deficient in all those cofactors so maybe that's my prob.

Am I understanding this right... you think the copper supplement raised your ceruloplasmin? Or how did you manage to raise it?

16. Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

All the people talking about copper overload refers to hair mineral analysis as the only reliable way to determine true copper deficiency. Just google how reliable hair mineral analysis are. For detecting drugs and toxins its great but to detect your health? Why would you look at hair. Also hair color is made out of melanin. Melanin is made out of copper. There will be various amounts of melanin and copper in your hair depending on your pigment and color. Copper toxicity is a hoax and scam. Only people with genetic diseases get the kinda severity of copper toxicity.

17. Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

Yes copper supplements raise ceruloplasmin. Ceruloplasmin is for copper like ferritin is for iron. Ceruloplasmin is made out of copper and 90% of the copper in your body is bound to ceruloplasmin. Cerulo in latin stands for blue just like copper is blue. And plasmin stands for plasma as in blood plasma. Blue blood. Ceruloplasmins job is to convert iron II into iron III which is the form your body uses. If you dont have enough ceruloplasmin or copper your body wont be able to use iron and you will store iron in tissue.

Serum ceruloplasmin protein expression and activity increases in iron-deficient rats and is further enhanced by higher dietary copper intake. - PubMed - NCBI

18. Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

19. Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

You increase ceruloplasmin by taking copper supplements i had low ceruloplasmin took 6-8mg of copper everyday for several months. My ceruloplasmin went from 15 to 33 and i feel great again. All my symptoms are gone. The fact that you have low ceruloplasmin shows you are copper deficienct. Serum copper doesnt mean anything its the copper you have in the blood right now. If you eat high copper food like cashew nuts then take a serum copper test 2 hours later it will be high. Same goes for serum iron. But markers like ferritin and ceruloplasmin which are storage proteins for iron and copper dont fluctuate so dramatically. They are reliable indicators. And having low ceruloplasmin is what makes you feel bad like joint aches, joint cracking in wrists, neck, upper back, low libido, fatigue to the point of nausea, hypothyroid, cold hands and feet. You need to eat copper to get ceruloplasmin up. Dont listen to ayuverdic website talking about copper toxicity and hair mineral analysis

20. Zpol

Zpol Member

@Douglas Ek Wow! thank you for all this info!
    I did not get a hair mineral analysis, but none the less, much of what you have stated is beneficial info for in my attempt to understand all this. Coincidentally, I do have reddish brown hair and not a single gray despite the fact that I turn 40 on the in a couple weeks. At one point I read hair color could be a clue to mineral status but it didn't seem like a science solid enough to base and valuable conclusions upon. My problem comes from my physician who, from some blood labs that were drawn a few weeks ago, determined that it's the copper/zinc ratio that is too high to the point that it is causing oxidative stress. She put me on Zinc, albeit temporarily, but still I'm concerned since I'd prefer to not take supplements at all, but after having a frighting emergency room visit I decided to follow her advice.
    Here's the blood lab result; in your opinion, do you think it'd be safer to take chlorophyll instead of zinc?

upload_2018-7-13_23-46-25.png