Copper Restores Damaged Cytochrome C Oxidase Activity

Ledo

So Yuracz what do we do? Get healthy and it fixes itself? Slow or fast oxidizer stuff? Can you spell out how to trouble shoot this in flowchart methodology, i.e lab tests, experiments, etc?

Thanks

sunflower1

As far as I understand, you need Vitamin A retinol, Vit C, B multi Vits and Taurine along with brewers yeast to get copper to bind to ceruloplasm.

NathanK

YuraCZ said:
post 106810
NathanK said:
post 106686 Count me in. I've noticed a few gray hairs this year. My iron, ferritin, and hemoglobin is a little high so that probably isn't helping. IIR, Josh Rubin had an anemia video and mentioned lowering Fe with copper.

Funny, I always assumed a Peaty diet was a higher copper one with OJ and shellfish and such. I eat about 3/4lb of shrimp most weeks and in the other weeks a tin of oysters or clams. Maybe that occasional zinc support is throwing me out of balance.

Thanks for all the resources to read in this thread!
YuraCZ said:
post 78315 How can anyone dislike liver? The most nutritious food on the earth! And so cheap!! I wish I could eat a pound of liver every day. :cry:
I've always hated liver. I assume it's my taste buds telling me I don't need more iron. Liver always tastes like blood or metallic-y to me.
Yes Peat friendly foods a VERY high in copper. So again as I can see you don't get it at all.. It is not about getting enough copper in the diet. It is about BIOAVAILABILITY of copper. If you are under stress with impaired liver, adrenals, thyroid function. Copper become biounavailable due to lack of transport proteins such as ceruloplasmin, so this unbound biounavailable copper will build up in the tissue(which is damaging as f***) and you will be experiencing copper deficiency symptomes. :!:
http://www.tvernonlac.com/copper-toxicity.html
I'm gonna be honest with you, I read that whole page and I've read similar before. It always sounds kinda good, but it never adds up for me; i cant relate though i try.

I would say I am high histamine, low copper, under methylator, high iron, slow oxidizer, and likely low B6 because my homecysteine is at 10. The list of symptoms they have, I knew before even looking anyone could have at least a few. Btw, I've never been constipated in my life, which sounds like is a big symptom. I don't know what to make of those theories except in my opinion those people are all likely hypothyroid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matty D

I am using copper gluconate/citrate 2mg
There is also magnesium steareare in it. Any thoughts friends?

Is there a legit copper lab test that makes sense?

Thank you guys! Just love this place.

sladerunner69

There are a few threads on this from a couple years back. We were smoking american spirits to increase testosterone and lower cortisol/estrogen. The carbon monoxide in tobacco smoke I think is what lowers c-AMP levels. The best way to bring them back was by supplementing copper and eating liver, which had a noticeable effect in my case.

NathanK

sunflower1 said:
post 108061 As far as I understand, you need Vitamin A retinol, Vit C, B multi Vits and Taurine along with brewers yeast to get copper to bind to ceruloplasm.
Yeah, I think Ray said that taurine doesn't increase copper but allows your body to use it more efficiently.

paymanz

NathanK said:
post 109352 Yeah, I think Ray said that taurine doesn't increase copper but allows your body to use it more efficiently.
interesting, i never heard about taurine from Ray.just mentioned about it on his website once.please tell me if you remember where he talked about it.

Daimyo

About a year ago I've taken 20 mg of copper sulfate pentyhydrate (5mg of actual copper) for a month, it didn't turn my prematurely gray hair (I have a lot of gray hair on my beard) back to red/brown/black/blond. I didn't feel a difference. But my nutrition at that time wasn't as good as it's now, and I didn't feel then as good as I feel now.

NathanK

paymanz said:
post 109356
NathanK said:
post 109352 Yeah, I think Ray said that taurine doesn't increase copper but allows your body to use it more efficiently.
interesting, i never heard about taurine from Ray.just mentioned about it on his website once.please tell me if you remember where he talked about it.
Hm, I may have been quoting someone who asked him. I can't find it exactly, but it's in my notes as such. Here's a post with studies that is the closest I've found on the subject: https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/view ... 522#p78427

atlee7757

"Copper deficiency also alters the lipid composition of organs and tissues.... As a general principle, copper deficiency tends to shift fatty acid synthesis to products with higher degrees of unsaturation."
Handbook of Nutritionally Essential Mineral Elements. Ed. Boyd L. O'Dell. NY 1997.

jyb

About a year ago I've taken 20 mg of copper sulfate pentyhydrate (5mg of actual copper) for a month, it didn't turn my prematurely gray hair (I have a lot of gray hair on my beard) back to red/brown/black/blond. I didn't feel a difference. But my nutrition at that time wasn't as good as it's now, and I didn't feel then as good as I feel now.

I didn't notice anything either when I experimented with copper. I was pretty thorough, it was more than just a month.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
nice atlee - @haidut now after those experiments with copper , how much copper a day is optimal you think?

If it is supplements, I think 2mg daily is pretty safe. Up to 4mg daily may be tolerable but even at that dose some people get symptoms of copper toxicity. There have been human trials with 8mg daily lasting several months with no serious side effects but quite a few people got nausea and even vomiting from that dose. So, I'd stick to 2mg daily unless a deficiency is suspected. Copper succinate is a good way to get the copper into the cell and not have it float around and contribute to toxicity.

Makrosky

Aren't mushrooms very high in copper ?

@haidut, do you think if you boil mushrooms for 3 hours to deactivate posinous compounds as Peat suggests can leave most of the copper in the boiling water thus losing it ?

tara

@haidut, do you think if you boil mushrooms for 3 hours to deactivate posinous compounds as Peat suggests can leave most of the copper in the boiling water thus losing it ?
I think Peat suggests eating the liquid from cooking mushrooms too, because quite a bit of the nutrition ends up in the water?

Makrosky

I think Peat suggests eating the liquid from cooking mushrooms too, because quite a bit of the nutrition ends up in the water?
Thanks tara! That makes sense... I hope there's not other toxins in the liquid.

zooma

Isn't chocolate an even easier way to get copper? And unlike liver and shellfish, good quality should be available to nearly everyone. Not saying it is a replacement for those foods, but it may be more reliable than mushrooms, and safer than supplements.

YuraCZ

Isn't chocolate an even easier way to get copper? And unlike liver and shellfish, good quality should be available to nearly everyone. Not saying it is a replacement for those foods, but it may be more reliable than mushrooms, and safer than supplements.
Best source of copper by far is beef liver. Beef liver has cofactors mainly vitamin A, zinc, B vitamins etc.. They are important for ceruloplasmin. Without ceruloplasmin copper will be stored in the liver and become bio unavailable.. Chocolate hasn't none of that.. Everybody listen great info.. start about copper 34:00

YuraCZ

I am using copper gluconate/citrate 2mg
There is also magnesium steareare in it. Any thoughts friends?

Is there a legit copper lab test that makes sense?

Thank you guys! Just love this place.
Yes serum ceruloplasmin. Low ceruloplasmin= low usable copper... Serum copper is misleading. So only ceruloplasmin status can say something. Besides that only liver biopsy can show low copper stored in the liver or high copper in the liver.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals