Copper Restores Damaged Cytochrome C Oxidase Activity

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Watching with interest.

Kasper

I'm not sure if the form of copper in orange juice is the right form.
But 2L of orange juice gives 1 mg of copper.
Together with 1 or 2 oysters, I'll get this 2 mg of copper daily.

That is my plan of getting my daily copper. But for days I don't eat oysters, I'm intrested for a supplement.
I once bought this one, that I don't really use at the moment.
http://www.mynaturalhealth.co.nz/produc ... ulti-trace
I like the fact it is liquid, so I can put it in my orange juice.

I've got the dutch version, which has added 2 mg of added copper gluconate.
Besides that it contains:
Magnesium 25mg (CMD)
Zinc (Zinc Sulfate) 15mg
Selenium (Sodium Selenate) 70mcg
Manganese (Manganese Gluconate) 2mg
Chromium (Chromic Chloride) 120mcg
Molybdenum (Sodium Molybdate) 75mcg
Chloride (CMD) 70mg
Boron (Sodium Borate & CMD) 3mg
Sulfate (Zinc Sulfate & CMD) 30mg
Lithium (CMD) 0.15mg

Any reasons to not use this one ?

Kasper

Has anybody some good ideas what the best form of dietary copper is ?

People here use copper glycinate and copper gluconate, but I don't know why these forms are preverable.
I'm trying to find out in which way copper is found in human milk.

From: http://books.google.nl/books?id=Y997mXC ... lk&f=false

Y7Enp.jpg

yw7ug.jpg

jyb

2 months in the experiment with copper supplement (glycinate, 2-8mg daily)... I don't think it stopped some random grey hairs on the sides from appearing. Overall hair color is good, but its difficult to say how different that is from before. Possibly darker eyebrows. If I were copper deplete, maybe I'm less now, but I'm not sure if just 2 months is enough to affect my hair areas that have odd grey hair here and there.

Ben

I have some bottles of copper sebacate tablets. Other ingredients in it are microcrystalline cellulose, dibasic calcium phosphate, stearic acid, silica, and magnesium stearate. Is it possible to extract the copper from the additives?

tara

I bought some copper salicylate a while ago, after being persuaded by this by Walter Last:
http://www.health-science-spirit.com/copper.html

I've only used a very small amount so far, very dilute topical. I'm wanting more copper, and wondering if any one is aware of any reason not to use this?

ravster02

haidut said:
More specifically, exogenous copper supplementation, not copper present in food. So, for those that do not fancy liver, copper supplementation maybe a viable route. Ray has said that 4oz of liver has 30mg of copper, which is our weekly requirement. So, I am taking 4mg copper gluconate daily and will post update in a month. I have some greying hairs that should get color restored from the copper supplementation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24549041

Haidut, did you ever see any positive effects from this copper experiment?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
ravster02 said:
haidut said:
More specifically, exogenous copper supplementation, not copper present in food. So, for those that do not fancy liver, copper supplementation maybe a viable route. Ray has said that 4oz of liver has 30mg of copper, which is our weekly requirement. So, I am taking 4mg copper gluconate daily and will post update in a month. I have some greying hairs that should get color restored from the copper supplementation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24549041

Haidut, did you ever see any positive effects from this copper experiment?

Yes, some reversal of grey hair on beard but nothing dramatic. Also, the copper pills gave me a rash couple of times so I stopped supplementing and now eat oysters and shrimp for copper.

YuraCZ

How can anyone dislike liver? The most nutritious food on the earth! And so cheap!! I wish I could eat a pound of liver every day. :cry:

SaltGirl

Mittir said:
haidut said:
Ray has said that 4oz of liver has 30mg of copper, which is our weekly requirement. So, I am taking 4mg copper gluconate daily and will post update in a month.

Is that a typo? Nutritondata shows 1 oz of raw beef liver
has about 2.7 mg of copper, which is 137% RDA.

I think he might refer to lamb liver. Lamb liver has ton of copper. 1 cup is 22.5 mg or 1100% of daily requirements.

tara

SaltGirl said:
Mittir said:
haidut said:
Ray has said that 4oz of liver has 30mg of copper, which is our weekly requirement. So, I am taking 4mg copper gluconate daily and will post update in a month.

Is that a typo? Nutritondata shows 1 oz of raw beef liver
has about 2.7 mg of copper, which is 137% RDA.

I think he might refer to lamb liver. Lamb liver has ton of copper. 1 cup is 22.5 mg or 1100% of daily requirements.
Nutritiondata says beef liver (15mg/100g raw) has more copper than lamb liver (10mg/100g raw).
Both pretty good, though. Fits with Peat's ~4-6 oz/week recommendation.

Steffi

Just cut off a bit of any electrical wire for fixed in-wall house wiring and throw it into some vinegar. It turns green after a few days (more copper) and tastes very bitter. But there's a cheap copper supplement. These wires are extremly pure copper cause they need to be pure for good conduction.

jyb

Steffi said:
Just cut off a bit of any electrical wire for fixed in-wall house wiring and throw it into some vinegar. It turns green after a few days (more copper) and tastes very bitter. But there's a cheap copper supplement. These wires are extremly pure copper cause they need to be pure for good conduction.

Cheap but not necessarily as safe as bound copper like copper glycinate. The studies on copper causing disease are more related to free copper so I feel safer supplementing the chelated form. Also easier to control the amount.

YuraCZ

1 oz of calf liver has 3.3 mg copper and also 10000 iu vitA. I don't get it why somebody needs supplements with copper or vitA... These synthetic substances aren't safe as natural food.. 0n the other hand. For example vitE is understandable.. it's basically impossible to get enough on the Peat style diet. But vitA or Copper when we have available superfoods like liver... :eh:

Steffi

Yes YuraCZ, I agree. But I am also shocked to find out that there are many places in North America where it is extremly difficult to find good quality beef liver - I hardly ever can find calf. Eventually it is no problem finding a supermarket that carries it - but I can't stand the taste of "industrial" liver. You can actually taste the dirty, brown patch of a feedlot. It tastes like they stink. No comparison to naturally raised beef.
Also, if the liver sits around thawed too long I find its taste goes bad - and I guess it's against Peat eating that "decomposed" meat.

nullredvector

Does anyone have any updates?

I have a lot of grey hairs for a 27yo. I've noticed that with 4-8mg of copper glycinate per day that my dandruff gets really bad, but is 100% reversed with 30-90mg P5P (I'm 6'6'' @24lbs).

So copper is activitng my CcO/metabolism (inhibited by pufa) increasing demand for B6 and the B6 is playing the protective role in the AAC enzymes or some pufa related action.

YuraCZ

nullredvector said:
post 106604 Does anyone have any updates?

I have a lot of grey hairs for a 27yo. I've noticed that with 4-8mg of copper glycinate per day that my dandruff gets really bad, but is 100% reversed with 30-90mg P5P (I'm 6'6'' @24lbs).

So copper is activitng my CcO/metabolism (inhibited by pufa) increasing demand for B6 and the B6 is playing the protective role in the AAC enzymes or some pufa related action.
most people (slow oxidizers) need more zinc in the diet and no copper lol. Only true fast oxidizers need fair amount of micronutrients such as copper.. Slow oxidizer has easily too much biounavailable copper stored in the liver and other tissues and copper deficiency like symptomes in the same time.. With adding more copper, it will be only worse. :roll:
http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/coppe ... ndrome.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

NathanK

Count me in. I've noticed a few gray hairs this year. My iron, ferritin, and hemoglobin is a little high so that probably isn't helping. IIR, Josh Rubin had an anemia video and mentioned lowering Fe with copper.

Funny, I always assumed a Peaty diet was a higher copper one with OJ and shellfish and such. I eat about 3/4lb of shrimp most weeks and in the other weeks a tin of oysters or clams. Maybe that occasional zinc support is throwing me out of balance.

Thanks for all the resources to read in this thread!
YuraCZ said:
post 78315 How can anyone dislike liver? The most nutritious food on the earth! And so cheap!! I wish I could eat a pound of liver every day. :cry:
I've always hated liver. I assume it's my taste buds telling me I don't need more iron. Liver always tastes like blood or metallic-y to me.

YuraCZ

NathanK said:
post 106686 Count me in. I've noticed a few gray hairs this year. My iron, ferritin, and hemoglobin is a little high so that probably isn't helping. IIR, Josh Rubin had an anemia video and mentioned lowering Fe with copper.

Funny, I always assumed a Peaty diet was a higher copper one with OJ and shellfish and such. I eat about 3/4lb of shrimp most weeks and in the other weeks a tin of oysters or clams. Maybe that occasional zinc support is throwing me out of balance.

Thanks for all the resources to read in this thread!
YuraCZ said:
post 78315 How can anyone dislike liver? The most nutritious food on the earth! And so cheap!! I wish I could eat a pound of liver every day. :cry:
I've always hated liver. I assume it's my taste buds telling me I don't need more iron. Liver always tastes like blood or metallic-y to me.
Yes Peat friendly foods a VERY high in copper. So again as I can see you don't get it at all.. It is not about getting enough copper in the diet. It is about BIOAVAILABILITY of copper. If you are under stress with impaired liver, adrenals, thyroid function. Copper become biounavailable due to lack of transport proteins such as ceruloplasmin, so this unbound biounavailable copper will build up in the tissue(which is damaging as ****) and you will be experiencing copper deficiency symptomes. :!:
http://www.tvernonlac.com/copper-toxicity.html

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals