Copper And Estrogen

beachbum

Hi everyone,

No sure if I posted this in correct place. Anyway, does copper increase estrogen or vice versa. if so I read on another post saying that RP says copper increases thyroid, if that is the case then if the above is correct then that doesn't make sense. Meaning if they say if your estrogen dominance your most likely hypothyroidism. I need clearance of this info, I guess.

Thank you

OP
beachbum

beachbum

Hi everyone,

No sure if I posted this in correct place. Anyway, does copper increase estrogen or vice versa. if so I read on another post saying that RP says copper increases thyroid, if that is the case then if the above is correct then that doesn't make sense. Meaning if they say if your estrogen dominance your most likely hypothyroidism. I need clearance of this info, I guess.

Thank you

bump

OP
beachbum

beachbum

Mmmm
If i were you
I will not take any kind of supplement
why...i am taking this reply as sarcastic, and if you read my question i didn't ask about zinc and copper ratios. but anyway.. i found my answer about high estrogen and high copper correlation in this thread

Don't Forget The Zinc

Im not being sarcastic at all

But every supplement
Give you something and destroy other thing

And about xopper zinx ratio

I just shared this article
Becsuse its interesting

And there is some good thoughts about copper

Amazoniac

- Effect of Estrogen on Serum and Tissue Levels of Copper and Zinc

"The effect of estrogen on serum copper and ceruloplasmin levels was first reported by Cartwright et al., (1950) among women in their second and third trimester of pregnancy. When synthetic estrogen and progestogen compounds became available in the form of oral contraceptive agents (OCAs) "the pill", several investigators unequivocally demonstrated the serum copper and/or ceruloplasmin elevating effect of these compounds in both humans (Margen and King, 1975; Crews et al., 1980; Prema et al., 1980; Vir and Love, 1981; Flynn. 1982; Held et al., 1988) and rats (Meyer et al., 1958; Evans et al., 1970; Yunice and Lindeman, 1975; Lei et al., 1976). The increase in serum copper and ceruloplasmin levels is due to the estrogen and not the progestogen component of "the pill" (Briggs et al., 1970). In a cross-sectional and longitudinal study lasting 18 months it was confirmed that irrespective of the compound, dose and route of administration the estrogen-containing OCAs caused a significant increase in serum copper within 10 days of starting the contraceptive and the levels continued to rise until day 25 reaching the highest concentration at the end of 3 months with no further increase due to their continued use up to 18 months. Progestogen on the other hand, irrespective of the compound and dose used, had no effect on serum copper (Prema et al., 1980)."

"Oral contraceptives also affect serum zinc levels. The levels begin to decrease within 3 days of starting the OCA and reach steady levels within 2 weeks."

"Rat studies also support the serum copper and ceruloplasmin (when determined) elevating effect of estrogen irrespective of the sex, dose or route of administration (Meyer et al., 1958; Evans et al., 1970; Lei et al., 1976; Vunice and Lindeman, 1975; Cohen et al., 1979). Decrease in plasma zinc levels was also noted as a result of estrogen or combination agent but not due to progestogen alone (Mcbean et al., 1971; Vunice and Lindeman, 1975; Lei et al., 1976). The significant decrease in plasma zinc noted only in the estrogen group was explained by the decrease in food intake of this group supported by the observation of lowest weight of this group of animals (Mcbean et al., 1971)."

"The fate of the elevated serum copper and decreased zinc has not been clearly delineated. Changes in serum levels have not been associated with changes in urinary levels of these trace elements (Vunice and Lindeman, 1975)."

"No agreement exists regarding the levels of these elements in liver and kidney among the reports in literature (Vunice and Lindeman, 1975; Lei et al., 1976). The lack of agreement in their results may be attributed to the differences in sex, specie and route of administration of the hormone."

"This brief review suggests that while most researchers observed the serum copper elevating and zinc lowering effect of oral contraceptives, and attributed them chiefly to the estrogen component of the OCAs, the effect of estrogen on tissue distribution of copper or zinc is not understood. Furthermore, while many tissues have been analyzed for changes in their mineral content as a result of estrogen treatment, brain tissue was not analyzed in any of these studies. It seemed important to analyze brain tissue because copper deficiency has been shown to depress a catalytic function in adrenergic pathway and adversely affects a structural component of the dopaminergic system during development. Copper repletion of these animals restored the norepinephrine level in total brain but did not affect the low level of dopamine (Feller and O'Dell, 1980). Severe zinc deficiency has also been associated with abnormal behavior in humans (Henkin et al., 1975) and rats (Hesse et al., 1979). Therefore, we designed a study to determine the effect of estrogen on serum, liver, kidney and brain copper and zinc and serum ceruloplasmin levels."

"Forty female Long-Evans-Hooded rats weighing 250 to 300 g were housed in groups of 5 under standard laboratory conditions. After a 10-day acclamatization period 20 animals were implanted with a mixture of 2.1 mg 17b-estradiol and 4.0 mg cholesterol packed in plastic tubing. The remaining 20 rats serving as the control group were implanted only with cholesterol."

upload_2019-5-8_9-48-47.png

upload_2019-5-8_9-48-53.png

"The changes observed in serum copper and ceruloplasmin levels of estrogen-treated animals have been previously documented in all studies with humans and rats. However, we found no change in serum zinc levels as opposed to a decrease in serum zinc levels reported in previous studies (Mcbean et al., 1971; Yunice and Lindeman, 1975; Lei et al., 1976). The difference in observation between our study and literature reports may be due to the strain of rats used in our study. A few human studies have also noticed similar lack of response in plasma or red and white cell zinc levels to oral contraceptive use (Crews et al., 1980; Vir and Love, 1981; Hinks et al., 1983)."

"We found a significant decrease in liver copper level also reported by Evans et al., (1970) but not by Lei et al., (1976). The decrease in liver copper level corresponded with the increase in serum copper and ceruloplasmin levels suggesting that serum copper levels increase at the expense of hepatic copper. Changes in copper levels in tissues suggest an internal shift in distribution of copper as a result of estrogen treatment and are not a reflection of altered absorption (Cohen et al., 1979) or excretion (Yunice and Lindeman, 1975) in rats or in humans (King et al., 1978; Crews et al., 1980). This explanation is further supported by our observation of significant increases in kidney copper levels only after 2 weeks and not 4 weeks and brain copper levels after 4 weeks but not after 2 weeks of estrogen treatment. Thus kidney may serve as a transit organ to maintain copper homeostasis with brain serving as the ultimate storage site."

"Implications of elevated brain copper levels in the animal are not clear. Copper metalloenzymes are important in the synthesis or release of norepinephrine and/or dopamine and copper deficiency results in a disturbance in these pathways (Feller and O'Dell. 1980). The effect of above normal levels of copper on these metabolic pathways need to be studied. Although Wilson's disease patients are not metabolically similar, they exhibit elevated brain copper levels which are associated with neuropsychiatric disorders observed in these patients. Many women also experience migraines. depression and mental changes with oral contraceptive use. Whether these symptoms are associated with alterations in copper metalloenzyme-dependent neurotransmitters need further investigation."

"Association between increased incidence of breast cancer among OCA users has been found (Kay. 1984). Low serum zinc and elevated serum copper levels have been demonstrated in patients with a variety of malignancies."

"Rats bearing Dunning mammary tumors absorbed a higher percentage of the intragastric copper dose than controls and transferred much more to the plasma with lower levels retained in the liver and kidney. These animals also exhibited significantly higher ceruloplasmin activity."

"It appears that liver copper level is a more true indicator of copper status than serum copper or ceruloplasmin levels which are elevated in response to estrogen treatment giving a sense of adequacy rather than an aberration of copper status in the OCA user. While it is impractical to determine liver copper levels among humans, it calls for assessment of parameters other than serum levels of copper for the assessment of copper status."​

- 'Nutrition for all of the Women':

"Estrogen promotes copper (and iron, and calcium) retention, and copper tends to displace zinc. The high levels of copper, iron and lead which are found in many people with mental problems may be secondary to a hormone disturbance. Thyroid gland or progesterone, or both, can produce a complete disappearance of mental symptoms when those symptoms result from any biochemical imbalance that can be rectified hormonally, because these two substances have very generalized regulatory functions. I feel that any "diagnosis" (naming in Latin) of a "functional mental disturbance" is at best irrelevant, and may be very destructive. People with diagnoses of "schizophrenia," "epilepsy," "manic-depressive psychosis." "Parkinsonism," "myasthenia gravis," "involutional psychosis." "neuritis," "sclerosis," etc., have reported that they felt normal or improved after taking progesterone, often within 40 minutes. Magnesium as epsom salts or magnesium chloride or carbonate, can relieve some cases or irritability and tension, even when something else, such as hypothyroidism, is the basic cause."​

Last edited:

Mito

Relevance of serum copper elevation induced by oral contraceptives: a meta-analysis

Abstract

Background and Study Design
It is well documented that copper (Cu) blood levels are elevated in combination oral contraceptive (COC) users. The aim of this study was to establish the range of Cu increase in OC users compared to nonusers through a systematic literature overview and quantitative data analysis.

Results
Twenty-six articles were included in the meta-analysis. The increase in Cu level exponentially decreased in COC users over time, with a rapid decline through the 1960s and 1970s. After controlling for the publication year, use of COC increases the mean serum/plasma Cu level by 0.57 mg/L (95% confidence interval 0.49–0.66 mg/L).

Conclusion

COCs commonly raise serum Cu to levels between 1.5 and 2 mg/L, which are above reference levels. Although these levels are not considered toxic, there are suggestions that such Cu increase could be implicated in oxidative pathophysiological processes in the body. Further research on safety of COCs use, including oxidative-stress-related effects, is warranted.

Relevance of serum copper elevation induced by oral contraceptives: a meta-analysis - ScienceDirect

lampofred

Super old thread but I think copper is only harmful when you have high estrogen. It causes problems because it lowers blood sugar too much.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals