Cooking rice in lye.

kiran

I'd be curious if anyone has tried this. Any details would be appreciated.
Did you use a rice cooker?
How much lye in how much water?
How did the rice turn out? etc

narouz

kiran said:

Just the thought of eating rice and lye...
it was a non-starter for me. :eek:

I'm sure it's not as bad as it sounds,
but...I've never gotten past that.

You're right though, kiran;
that is how Peat says it should best be treated/cooked.

nwo2012

narouz said:
kiran said:

Just the thought of eating rice and lye...
it was a non-starter for me. :eek:

I'm sure it's not as bad as it sounds,
but...I've never gotten past that.

You're right though, kiran;
that is how Peat says it should best be treated/cooked.

Well I think you would rinse off 99.9% of the traces of lye. Might give this a try sometime but havent bought any rice for over 2 years or so makes it an effort.

nwo2012

And the Peatphone was finally picked up. :D
Not the reply we expected though, so where was the lye idea?

Me
A few of us are confused about cooking rice with lye. is lime better?
is it very weak lye and then rinsed off? please if you have the time
describe how you go about making the rice safe

RP
I haven't tried it with rice or wheat, but with corn, either wood ashes or lime (calcium hydroxide) works; you cook it until the corn swells (making hominy) and releases the cellulose shell, then let it stand overnight, and pour off the liquid and separate the shells.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Maybe the person who tried it isnt around anymore? :hiding

nwo2012

narouz said:
nwo2012 said:
Charlie said:
Maybe the person who tried it isnt around anymore? :hiding

:lol:

You know, the way we get fixated on certain Things Peat...

There is a lesson in there, I'm sure.

Is the lesson that the lye thing was a lie? Do we have a verifiable Peat quote for using lye over lime?

narouz

nwo2012 said:
And the Peatphone was finally picked up. :D
Not the reply we expected though, so where was the lye idea?

Me
A few of us are confused about cooking rice with lye. is lime better?
is it very weak lye and then rinsed off? please if you have the time
describe how you go about making the rice safe

RP
I haven't tried it with rice or wheat, but with corn, either wood ashes or lime (calcium hydroxide) works; you cook it until the corn swells (making hominy) and releases the cellulose shell, then let it stand overnight, and pour off the liquid and separate the shells.

nwo2012 said:
Is the lesson that the lye thing was a lie? Do we have a verifiable Peat quote for using lye over lime?

nwo2012-
Thanks again--that PeatPhone is an amazin' thing!

Was the lye thing a lie?
I doubt it, but it is looking like a misattribution or inaccuracy or miscommunication.

I've seen it in a bunch of places over the time I've done Peat research.

Here's what I came up with in a cursory search:

From the Roddy site:
http://www.dannyroddy.com/2012/1/16/the-lens-of-a-peat-a-tarian-part-i-the-perfect-health-diet.html

Starch vs. Sugar
Peat and Paul are at the opposite ends of the spectrum when considering whether to eat starch or sugar. While Peat is fond of the potato for it's high quality protein, and doesn't seem to mind corn-tortillas or rice cooked in lye on occasion, he considers sugar, in the form of fruit, to be far superior.

--

From the AV-Skeptics site we see echoed so often:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/AV-Skeptics/message/13292

Fruits vs. Starch: Fruits, in his opinion, are much better,
> however white rice (especially if it is cooked with lye)
> and corn tortillas (cooked in lime) are acceptable.

-------

And this is really pretty unrelated (does discuss lye, glancingly), but kind of interesting, so I thought I'd include it:

http://www.litalee.com/shopexd.asp?id=490

On the pH of Water and of the Body: Questions and Answers from Drs. Ray Peat and Lita Lee
Dr. Lee: What do you think a healthy pH of water should be? A client is drinking alkaline water (pH 9 or so) because someone told her that her tissues were too acidic. Her 24-hour urine was way too alkaline. Also, she eats a low protein diet, which alone can cause this. I don’t understand why people think they should drink alkaline water. I know the pH changes throughout the body, so I don’t understand why people say they are too acidic or too alkaline. I always ask where in your body are you too acidic or too alkaline? Does this mean that you agree high pH water is good because of the minerals? Also, do you think that systems that make water alkaline are good?
Dr. Peat: I don’t think it’s the pH that matters, but the actual mineral content. That is, a little lye would give a high pH, but no physiological benefit; buffered salts with a neutral pH could be very beneficial. I wouldn’t want water treated with a system to make it alkaline — it might be harmful in itself, and it would be a financial benefit for crooks.
Hard, mineralized water seems to be good for the health, partly because it doesn’t pick up metals from the plumbing, and the alkaline minerals, even sodium, have some value for sparing magnesium and protein especially during stress. I think the 24-hour urine should be pretty acidic (6.3–6.7 is optimum), from a good protein intake, but the saliva should be just a little under 7, reflecting a good carbon dioxide content. There are lots of pH cults. Healthy cells use oxygen (“acid source”) and produce carbon dioxide (a Lewis acid), and are resistant to stress. Cancer cells are more alkaline (from producing lactate instead of carbon dioxide) than healthy cells, contrary to popular pH cult beliefs.

-----

So it looks like Roddy's site may've echoed the AV-Skeptics site.

nwo2012--Is it possible Peat (audibly, over the PeatPhone) mis-heard you, hearing "lime" instead of "lye"...?

Mittir

I have heard in an audio interview Ray Peat talking about cooking rice in lye. But i think he was simply comparing rice to corn in terms of cooking. In India, a kind of crispy thin pancake is made from fermented rice. RP said that grain soaked in water or fermentation improves the nutrition profile . Excess phosphorous is a problem in grains. So adding some calcium to fermented rice would fix the calcium phosphorus ratio. I add calcium hydroxide water to my OJ to lower the acidity. It does not taste bad as long as there is some acidity left.