Cooking eggs

Fran

Hello everyone, I'm new to peat's diet and this forum has been very helpful.

After reading Peat's article about cholesterol and the dangers of oxidized cholesterol I wondered about the importance of the cooking methods.

I have found this article: http://www.kjm.keio.ac.jp/past/53/3/131.pdf
These are some important points:

Aside from autooxidization in air, the most powerful method of oxidizing cholesterol is by heat.
In rabbit feeding, fried or hard-boiled eggs produced the highest serum cholesterol (10 to 14 times
the experimental level). Scrambled eggs increase cholesterol six to seven times above the preexperimental
level, and soft boiled eggs increase it by only three to four times.4 Other high cholesterol foods such as milk
fat become oxidized during the pasteurization process. Powdered milk is exceptionally high in oxidization
products. Cheeses exposed to air for long periods during processing and stored at room temperature are
likely to contain significant toxic cholesterol oxidation products.
Thus, if we wish to minimize the ingestion of oxidized cholesterol, we should prepare our eggs to be soft
boiled or soft fried (‘‘sunny side up’’). These eggs still have small amounts of oxidized cholesterol and they
are therefore a compromise. Our milk products should be either non-fat or contain 1% fat.

Some other points from other studies

The true ideal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9% and 51.3% respectively
Source: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.short

Also is important to cook the eggs white to reduce avidin.

For me, the best way to cook the eggs is to split the whites and the yolks, then scramble the whites with butter or coconut oil and finally, with the heat off, add the yolks. I fell that my digestion is much easier.

For those who like cooking, two videos:
Heston Blumenthal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZtwPf32YN4
Gordon Ramsay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

Instead of bread, I mix the eggs with shredded carrots, delicious. Before to eat them I take some fruit.

I hope you enjoy

delune

Thanks for this, this actually sounds like a delicious way to cook eggs! I love the taste of runny yolks. I watched both the videos too and I'm salivating...

I have read one or two articles that were of the opinion that oxidised cholesterol in powdered eggs is significant, but in powdered milk levels are low enough as to be of negligible concern.

BobbyDukes

I don't understand why the egg is seen as this delicate thing, when many here cook meat and other things that are high in cholesterol. Even milk is subjected to heat during pasteurisation; but then, what degree of heat damages cholesterol? And if damaged cholesterol does harm to he body, maybe raising it in the body (if needed) through sugar, is a lot safer. Just thinking aloud.

jyb

BobbyDukes said:
I don't understand why the egg is seen as this delicate thing, when many here cook meat and other things that are high in cholesterol. Even milk is subjected to heat during pasteurisation; but then, what degree of heat damages cholesterol? And if damaged cholesterol does harm to he body, maybe raising it in the body (if needed) through sugar, is a lot safer. Just thinking aloud.

Yeah, I don't think store milk or well cooked meat is safe at all. That's a lot of processing and heating. Fat, protein, sugar... Some say that some processing side effects are not as bad as said, but I don't trust it and it doesn't cover all possibilities. Temperature, duration and cooking method are all huge factors. It's up to you how long and thoroughly you cook eggs.

ballomar

jyb said:
BobbyDukes said:

Yeah, I don't think store milk or well cooked meat is safe at all. That's a lot of processing and heating. Fat, protein, sugar... Some say that some processing side effects are not as bad as said, but I don't trust it and it doesn't cover all possibilities. Temperature, duration and cooking method are all huge factors. It's up to you how long and thoroughly you cook eggs.

This is why the WAP people go on about raw eggs, raw milk and gently cooking things.

It's been known for a while that overcooking egg yokes is not much good for the cholesterol, but then I much prefer runny yokes and soft omelettes.

There are also issues with well cooked meat (can't find the reference just now), but it basically comes down to rare steak, or gently cooked meat i.e. boiled, braised rather than fried.

BobbyDukes

ballomar said:
jyb said:
BobbyDukes said:

This is why the WAP people go on about raw eggs, raw milk and gently cooking things.

It's been known for a while that overcooking egg yokes is not much good for the cholesterol, but then I much prefer runny yokes and soft omelettes.

There are also issues with well cooked meat (can't find the reference just now), but it basically comes down to rare steak, or gently cooked meat i.e. boiled, braised rather than fried.

The Peat way of eating becomes much more diffucult for me, if I try to eat a more 'raw' approach. Animal products are full of fat in their raw state, which is not optimal metabolically. You can skim the fat of raw milk, i guess but raw milk is a pain to handle. I can buy it once a week, and the amount i would go through means it would just fill my fridge completely (which is not practical, because I share my pad with other people). I wish there was a machine where I could just pour the raw milk in, and it takes the fat away for me.

BTW, for those who haven't tried raw milk, it actually resembles cream more than milk (well, my raw milk does - when I buy it). So that probably tells me how much fat is in there. Obviously it's useful to have some fat in there (for K,D,E and A)

Eating raw meat (which I have tried, BTW, and has far greater peaceful effects on my body, than eating it cooked) is like dying a social death. There's no way in a million years I can do that. The idea of life is to make friends with people; connections, etc. Not scare them off.

Raw egg yolks though, I can put into smoothies and try to blag it with people. 'Oh, won't you get salmonella!'... Nah, all the meat heads do this. Put my egg yolks in my smoothie, down my protein and I'm good to go. That's the line I use. They just think I'm hardcore. Raw meat though, that's one step too far. The best I can do with meat, is just go as rare as I possibly can go with it.

Amazoniac

BobbyDukes said:
The Peat way of eating becomes much more diffucult for me, if I try to eat a more 'raw' approach. Animal products are full of fat in their raw state, which is not optimal metabolically. You can skim the fat of raw milk, i guess but raw milk is a pain to handle. I can buy it once a week, and the amount i would go through means it would just fill my fridge completely (which is not practical, because I share my pad with other people). I wish there was a machine where I could just pour the raw milk in, and it takes the fat away for me.

BTW, for those who haven't tried raw milk, it actually resembles cream more than milk (well, my raw milk does - when I buy it). So that probably tells me how much fat is in there. Obviously it's useful to have some fat in there (for K,D,E and A)

Eating raw meat (which I have tried, BTW, and has far greater peaceful effects on my body, than eating it cooked) is like dying a social death. There's no way in a million years I can do that. The idea of life is to make friends with people; connections, etc. Not scare them off.

Raw egg yolks though, I can put into smoothies and try to blag it with people. 'Oh, won't you get salmonella!'... Nah, all the meat heads do this. Put my egg yolks in my smoothie, down my protein and I'm good to go. That's the line I use. They just think I'm hardcore. Raw meat though, that's one step too far. The best I can do with meat, is just go as rare as I possibly can go with it.

If being socially awkward is your concern, you can eat Carpaccio, which is just a fancy term for raw meat thinly sliced that won't be plated as an entire piece of raw steak in your place and won't shock people. Google it for images!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpaccio

ballomar

BobbyDukes said:

Raw milk tastes a lot creamier than pasteurised, but that is not because it is more creamy. The one we buy is the standard 3.5%.

When you switch between raw and pasteurised milk you start to notice the difference in taste. Pasteurised tends to have a harsh, slightly metallic taste, whereas raw has a softer mouth feel.

As for raw meat, everyone round these parts eats steak tartar, so no social isolation there.

Jennifer

You're welcome, Bobby! I'm happy to of helped! :)