Cooking citrus peel "enhances intracellular levels of flavonoids"

ddjd

I'm researching Naringenin/Naringin and looking for recipes to make my own marmalade or even a flour from citrus peel. I was intrigued to find out that cooking the peels actually enhances the effects!

"Citrus peel, a primary byproduct of citrus fruits, contains a variety of flavonoids. Heat treatment is a favorable food processing for solid peel to release bioactive compounds from tissues and intensify nutritional effects. In this study, we explored alterations of flavonoids by thermal treatment of mandarin peel and their effects on lipid accumulation and intracellular levels during differentiation of 3T3-L1 cells to adipocytes. The heat-treated sample showed stronger inhibition on the formation of lipid droplets than the non-treated sample, along with enhanced intracellular levels of flavonoids. Overall flavonoids, especially flavonoid aglycones showing better efficacy, were found to increase in the peel after heat-treatment. Our findings indicate thermal processing could help release flavonoids from citrus peel and convert them into aglycone forms, leading to efficient cellular uptake and suppression of lipid accumulation in 3T3-L1 cells. This study provides useful information of heat-treated citrus peel as potential dietary supplements with anti-obesity-related effects."

If anyones got any recipes/ great ideas for how I can increase my naringenin intake please let me know

Doc Sandoz

I'm researching Naringenin/Naringin and looking for recipes to make my own marmalade or even a flour from citrus peel. I was intrigued to find out that cooking the peels actually enhances the effects!

"Citrus peel, a primary byproduct of citrus fruits, contains a variety of flavonoids. Heat treatment is a favorable food processing for solid peel to release bioactive compounds from tissues and intensify nutritional effects. In this study, we explored alterations of flavonoids by thermal treatment of mandarin peel and their effects on lipid accumulation and intracellular levels during differentiation of 3T3-L1 cells to adipocytes. The heat-treated sample showed stronger inhibition on the formation of lipid droplets than the non-treated sample, along with enhanced intracellular levels of flavonoids. Overall flavonoids, especially flavonoid aglycones showing better efficacy, were found to increase in the peel after heat-treatment. Our findings indicate thermal processing could help release flavonoids from citrus peel and convert them into aglycone forms, leading to efficient cellular uptake and suppression of lipid accumulation in 3T3-L1 cells. This study provides useful information of heat-treated citrus peel as potential dietary supplements with anti-obesity-related effects."

If anyones got any recipes/ great ideas for how I can increase my naringenin intake please let me know
If you are interested in making your own marmalade because you want it organic, there is this product: BONO Organic Sicilian Blood Orange Marmalade - BONO U.S.A. Inc. I add some fructose to it because it is quite "peely", but some, mostly Brits, like it that way. Blood Orange Marmalade from Sicily - seems apropos of the place.

Donnea

I don't have the recipe on hand, but I made a delicious cake a while back, that used 2 whole cooked oranges, with peel and all. Then you ran the oranges through the food processor. Then you poured it into the rest of the cake batter. It was delicious and such a moist cake! I'm sure you can find several versions of this online.
If you are wanting to stay away from flour, I bet you could make a great ricotta cheese cake with cooked oranges as well. Like the polish cheese cakes, or swedish, but using ricotta and boiled oranges.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I don't have the recipe on hand, but I made a delicious cake a while back, that used 2 whole cooked oranges, with peel and all. Then you ran the oranges through the food processor. Then you poured it into the rest of the cake batter. It was delicious and such a moist cake! I'm sure you can find several versions of this online.
If you are wanting to stay away from flour, I bet you could make a great ricotta cheese cake with cooked oranges as well. Like the polish cheese cakes, or swedish, but using ricotta and boiled oranges.
Awesome idea! Cake high in naringenin!!

OP
ddjd

ddjd

***t now I've just found a completely contradictory article:

"Moreover, there was a decrease of total phenolic acid content after heat treatment and the content of four flavanone glycosides (narirutin, naringin, hesperidin, and neohesperidin) declined with heating time and temperature."

Sefton10

I started chucking orange peels in when making bone broth in an Instant Pot. Waste not want not.

Inaut

I add naringin to hot water and gulp it down. Super bitter though

Donnea

Awesome idea! Cake high in naringenin!!
Now you have me wanting to do it this weekend! :)
Here is a flourless recipe using cooked oranges and almond flour. I would skip the almond flour, but I think I'll do some experimenting. I'm going to make it into a cheese cake instead of actual cake and use ricotta instead of almond flour. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out:

Jinju

From what I have read, most citrus fruits available in the market are waxed (unless you can get it locally sourced). I was not sure about organic ones but I thought those were waxed too. I know they say it is 'edible wax' but I have been wary to make marmalade for this reason. Any idea how to source unwaxed citrus fruits?

mrchibbs

From what I have read, most citrus fruits available in the market are waxed (unless you can get it locally sourced). I was not sure about organic ones but I thought those were waxed too. I know they say it is 'edible wax' but I have been wary to make marmalade for this reason. Any idea how to source unwaxed citrus fruits?
That's a definite source of concern.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Seriously?? They wax even organic oranges??

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Now you have me wanting to do it this weekend! :)
Here is a flourless recipe using cooked oranges and almond flour. I would skip the almond flour, but I think I'll do some experimenting. I'm going to make it into a cheese cake instead of actual cake and use ricotta instead of almond flour. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out:
Just saw this one

Inaut

hey some of us are starting to eat waxes now.......Obviously the edible, from bee type...

Jam

(Thanks @rijo !)

"People might worry about that the fact that marmalade is more sugar than orange peeling but the sugar itself is part of the nutritional wonder drug"

OP
ddjd

ddjd

They will usually say on the label when they are unwaxed.
im in germany and im pretty sure all the organic "bio" oranges are unwaxed

on a seperate and slightly comical note, I actually ate RAW organic orange peel lol, and it was pretty disgusting....instinctively my body just completely rejected it and i could only eat half the raw peel from one orange (i did place the peel briefly in boiling water beforehand).

however after eating the raw orange peel i definitely noticed a strong anti-estrogenic effect- flatter stomach and reduced water retention, dopaminergic focus and productivity, alongside a very calm, composed feeling. Its somewhat similar to the effect i get from taking coq10 actually.

and as it happens in danny roddys most recent podcast with haidut - he explains how the flavones like naringinen can act as quinones just like COQ10

HAIDUT: "..... things like naringenin apogenin, chryson, physatin,hesperitin - all of these are examples of either flavones or flavanones and all they all tend to not only have an antiestrogenic effect both at the receptor level but they also turn out to be powerful aromatase inhibitors. on top of that i found studies that some of them are actually pretty strong androgen receptor agonists.......and if that wasn't enough ......all of the other flavonons and flavonos that have functional side groups are capable of acting as quinones so basically in the body they can get these hydroxyl groups that they usually have on the side. They can get converted to ketones and to carbonyl groups and then this molecule can continue cycling and carrying electrons if you're deficient in COQ10 or you have other issues with blocked electron transport chain complexes or there's an issue with excessive glycolysis and you basically you need to re-oxidize nadh back to nad. And all of these things have been indirectly confirmed because administration of these chemicals has been shown in multiple studies including humans to increase metabolic rate. There's a great study which came out recently- naringinen increases metabolic rate and there's a great case study that will come up showing that it acts very similar to thyroid"

the study: https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/jmf.2019.0216

FINALLY.... i decided to simply soak the sliced raw peels in cold water overnight in the refrigerator and today i nibbled a few at a time and because they're now much softer i actually think taste pretty delicious and i went back for more later in the day. and once again got the same dopaminergic increase in energy/focus/motivation etc.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals