Cooking Bananas Destroys Serotonin?

norseman

Hi guys, I did a small experiment. Cooked 2kg of well ripen(almost black) Bananas for pretty long time. Filtered the fibre and drank the juice. Beautiful. Felt no issues with serotonin. Does anyone has any data if cooking destroys/reduces serotonin content in the juice?

Amazoniac

I don't know why you would want to degrade dietary happiness, if it's reliable to project based on the figures below or turned into something active.

- Liquid chromatographic determination of serotonin in homogenized dog intestine and rat brain tissue using a 2 mm id PEEK Column

upload_2019-12-31_19-57-38.png

upload_2019-12-31_19-57-44.png

- Baking Soda
- Processing of vegetable-borne carotenoids in the human stomach and duodenum (Fig. Ein)
- Visions (cookware) - Wikipedia

SOMO

Part of the reason for Bananas being such a popular fruit and snack is the CREAMY and buttery texture. It's certainly not the taste of banana that people enjoy, because the taste is mild and subtle. Bananas are great for their texture and mouthfeel.

I understand your concern with trying to improve the banana's nutritional profile, but by straining it and making banana liquid/juice it kind of ruins most of the appeal of the fruit. The banana also doesn't have the tough fibrous cellulose and pectin of many other fruit that are better suited to cooking (apples, pears, plums and berries) and I'm assuming that the nutrient loss by cooking banana are significantly higher than cooking apples, for example.

So basically pour orange juice, lemon juice or vinegar over your bananas and reduce the serotonin?
But then the bananas will be sour and you will **** up your enamel.

Too bad that graphic doesn't indicate what happens at higher pH. Increased stability?

Elie

Forum Supporter
When I visited Brasil I enjoyed packaged well cooked bananas that are a popular snack.
Cooked bananas may be healthier than raw. The riper the better.

Dave Clark

In my experience, the bananas typically found in stores here in the states do not have the complex flavors of the bananas I have had that grow naturally in the tropics, which can have almost a fruit punch complexity with a denser creamier texture. No comparison.

Kunstruct

In my experience, the bananas typically found in stores here in the states do not have the complex flavors of the bananas I have had that grow naturally in the tropics, which can have almost a fruit punch complexity with a denser creamier texture. No comparison.

In the latest years bananas for me bought at the supermarket have been tasteless and often too raw. If left to cook in a bag still would have no flavor.
They are bland and raw to me that I stopped buying them some time ago, they also tend to increase my stomach acid and even to case me a bit of nausea.
I used to each like 2 cooked bananas back in the days where I was good, they were always mashed and cooked with flour, cinnamon and sucrose as a pancake with around 5 eggs also in the batter.

GelatinGoblin

Part of the reason for Bananas being such a popular fruit and snack is the CREAMY and buttery texture. It's certainly not the taste of banana that people enjoy, because the taste is mild and subtle. Bananas are great for their texture and mouthfeel.

I understand your concern with trying to improve the banana's nutritional profile, but by straining it and making banana liquid/juice it kind of ruins most of the appeal of the fruit. The banana also doesn't have the tough fibrous cellulose and pectin of many other fruit that are better suited to cooking (apples, pears, plums and berries) and I'm assuming that the nutrient loss by cooking banana are significantly higher than cooking apples, for example.

So basically pour orange juice, lemon juice or vinegar over your bananas and reduce the serotonin?
But then the bananas will be sour and you will **** up your enamel.

Too bad that graphic doesn't indicate what happens at higher pH. Increased stability?

What? Bananas taste awesome! Sweet but not too sweet, and as you mentioned buttery.
Mike Tyson ate 6 a day, easy way to get your Potassium and some B vitamins without eating vegetables.

Inaut

Bananas seem to give me gallbladder attacks.... They are easy to eat though... :|

GelatinGoblin

Easy way to ripen bananas is putting them in a brown paper bag with a few apples. You put it outside in the Summer and completely green bananas will turn yellow in 3-2 days. You can also do this if you suspect your bananas aren't fully ripened as recommendation of Ray Peat.

Minimal

Any serotonin ‘effects’ from eating one or two bananas must be completely imaginary, I hope that’s clear to anyone. Cooking bananas for this reason is like you fell for a prank or something.

Cloudhands

i recently started microwaving bananas. the carmelized flavor and creamy texture are great with meat and salt, especially if you throw in a little coconut cream. i usually get acid reflux with regular bananas, but cooking them prevents this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals