COOK RICE IN ORANGE JUICE

Luann

Caribbean-Style Orange Juice Rice

Guys, cool! You can make rice using no water only OJ! For those of us that tolerate (or, like me, adore) a good sushi rice, this is the perfect everything...has minerals, less water and more calorie, and a pretty color! Oh yeah and this dish looks way more normal on a work lunch break than just plain chugging orange juice.

I've cooked rice in milk and in very very salty water before and those turned out great but this is a whole nother level guys.

milk_lover

This honestly sounds delicious and I am tempted to cook it some day. Have you tried it yet? Maybe the simple sugars and potassium in OJ help with insulin release from the starch. Also, if you add salt in the rice (who wouldn't?), you can balance out the potassium from OJ. Also, rice has good amount of manganese.

Wagner83

I cook rice in kale broth, I cook it so that when all the water is absorbed the rice is ready, no waste.

raypeatclips

My issues with this would be that it is a waste of money, if you're cooking in OJ, then pouring it all away, you would go through so much OJ. (If you're not pouring off the liquid your rice was cooked in, then don't make this a habit. See below.)

The recipe says nothing about pouring away, so that the rice simmers down, then the issue is that all the negative things associated with rice such as arsenic go into the water, or aren't removed. Low water volume rice cooking removes no arsenic.

Of course a way to avoid this issue is to purchase rice from a supplier that has very little impurities, no arsenic on the rice. If you email the company, they might tell you, they might not. It depends how much you trust the company, if they tell you it is low in arsenic, or low in whatever.

Just stick to cooking your rice with a ton of water, draining, then drinking a glass of OJ with the meal. :)

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/defau...S_of_ARSENIC_in_RICE_-_EFFECTS_OF_COOKING.pdf

OP
Luann

Luann

Oh I was under the impression that arsenic was more of a problem with the brown rice because the husk of the grain contained it. It's a white rice thing? Yuck.
Just stick to cooking your rice with a ton of water, draining, then drinking a glass of OJ with the meal. :)

Ain't nothing wrong with that either! :)

You know, heat treatment (not sure what temperature, but probably less than the temp needed for rice) does damage folate and folate is one of my main nutrients that orange juice meets. I probably won't be cooking my orange juice much more, on second thought. And that also makes me wonder if cold-pressed orange juice or even just eating a couple oranges a day isn't better than the traditional oj that gets processed at high temperatures.

Do any of you want to weigh in? Cold-pressed vs the normal orange juice vs just eating a lot of oranges?

And the thing about oranges is that I can take the seeds out and so reduce the PUFAHS. :)

Last edited:

cyclops

Of course a way to avoid this issue is to purchase rice from a supplier that has very little impurities, no arsenic on the rice. If you email the company, they might tell you, they might not. It depends how much you trust the company, if they tell you it is low in arsenic, or low in whatever.

You know any good rice companies? Can organic rice still have arsenic?

raypeatclips

You know any good rice companies? Can organic rice still have arsenic?

No idea tbh. The rice I use the company didn't email me back. I just rinse the rice I use very well and then use far more water than a normal person to cook rice. Then drain it and rinse it again when it's cooked. I bet drinking coffee with the meal would also help the situation.

Ritchie

Do any of you want to weigh in? Cold-pressed vs the normal orange juice vs just eating a lot of oranges?
Definitely squeezing fresh OJ is the way to go. Vitamin C isn't very stable at high temperatures and you don't want it destroyed. Bottled pre squeezed OJ is still good for the sugars and general energy content, but if you can freshly squeeze the oranges, it is way better for the vitamin C content. I find squeezing 3 or 4 decent size oranges gives me a big glass of OJ. To boost vitamin C absorption even more, you can add a drop of methylene blue to the juice and mix it in.

David PS

It is my understanding that the arsenic in the rice comes from fields that were formerly used to grow cotton. The pesticides used on cotton fields contained arsenic and it still remains in the soil. In the US, it is best to avoid rice grown in the deep south. see
There’s arsenic in your rice — and here’s how it got there

Wagner83

Adding half a lemon juice to the cooking water (1 cup of rice) gives the rice a texture and slight taste which I quite enjoy.