Convince Me To Take Iodine / Calcium

Discussion in 'Minerals' started by axorr, Nov 17, 2018.

1. axorr

axorr Member

Hello, what 'd be some strong reasons for someone to take iodine and calcium carbonate supplements ? I see many forums regarding this subject but I can't find the real reason on why should I take them. Anyone with experience care to sum it up ? tx

2. CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete Member

Telecommunications / Health & Fitness
    I can’t speak much to iodine. There is some conflicting information on here.

But Dr. Peat has been very clear regarding the critical role of calcium in health. If there is insufficient calcium in circulation, the parathyroid hormone will be released in order to liberate calcium from the bones. There is plenty of information on the forum regarding the degenerative effects of parathyroid hormone.

3. Dobbler

Dobbler Member

Eat shrimp, seafood, meat and drink milk or eat cheese. No need for supplements.

4. OP
    axorr

axorr Member

I don`t consume dairy due to acne problems, so why should I take calcium supplement ? for what ? I still don't get it

5. Alpha

Alpha Member

You don't need dairy for calcium, but make sure you are in balance with PRAL. Take baking soda.

6. OP
    axorr

axorr Member

Guys i dont really get these terms, what is pral ? why baking soda ? and how does this : the parathyroid hormone will be released in order to liberate calcium from the bones. There is plenty of information on the forum regarding the degenerative effects of parathyroid hormone. work ?

7. Constatine

Constatine Member

A pure calcium supplement can be dangerous, especially if you take vitamin d. Hypercalcemia is not hard to invoke. Just get calcium through foods.

8. schultz

schultz Member

Listen to the podcasts and read Rays articles, this way you get to read/hear what Ray thinks about this matter and many others.

I don't supplement either of those things, but I consume dairy. I would suggest you figure out why dairy seems to give you acne. It's probably something you can remedy and from my point of view is more practical than avoiding it for the rest of your life.

Vit. A and D could help with the acne (studies support this). Make sure you're getting enough of these.

9. Logan-

Logan- Member

Why would pure calcium be any different than natural calcium sources like milk and dairy in being problematic? Ray Peat gets huge amounts of calcium every day from foods.

Do you think vitamin K would prevent any high calcium (supplement) problems that you have in mind?

10. Cirion

Cirion Member

Calcium carbonate + baking soda can make a useful substance called calcium acetate. I believe Nathan Hatch has an article on it on his blog F*** portion control if you want to read more and see if you think you need it or not. I personally don't have it much because I usually get plenty of dairy and I make sodium acetate for my acetic acid needs.

As for Iodine, I'd recommend the book Iodine: Why you need it, why you can't live without it, to get a great primer on it.

11. OP
    axorr

axorr Member

I dont consume dairy.

Can you please tell me why i should be taking calcium acetate ?

12. OP
    axorr

axorr Member

Can anyone on this forum sum it up why iodine / calcium acetate is good ? I really have 3 jobs and dont have time to read much

tx

13. Alpha

Alpha Member

Potential Renal Acidic Load for food. Make sure you are net neutral at the very least, this will take the load off of the bones to maintain homeostasis. Baking soda is a good fast way to normalize your diet alkalinity without eating a lot of vegetables.