Convince Me Not To Take Propecia

Sheik

I'm thinking about taking Propecia. My hair just looks horrible. I'm hoping to maybe gain a bit back (I'm still technically NW2, I think) but I want to at least stop more from falling out.

I've been looking at studies on different doses, and I would start at 0.04mg or 1/25th of a pill. If I don't get side effects at that dose I'll probably keep it for a while. If that's not effective I'll try more but not more than 0.2mg.

So basically I'm looking for a good reason not to do it. I previously took 0.5mg (one time) and had side effects for months. I'm not sure if they've even worn off yet 6 months later (the main thing is random pains in my testicles, but I have varicoceles so I'm not sure if it's that or something caused by the Propecia).

But if I could find a happy medium where my hair stops falling out and I don't have bad side effects...

Gl;itch.e

Since you are even asking it sounds like you have serious doubts.

How much experimenting with nutritional and lifestyle optimization have you tried? That's where anyone with any health concerns should start before even considering a drug. Especially when we are talking about a drug with some pretty devastating potential side effects. As much as hair loss sucks its still pretty benign in comparison with some of the side effects that could become permanent.

answersfound

Sheik said:
I'm thinking about taking Propecia. My hair just looks horrible. I'm hoping to maybe gain a bit back (I'm still technically NW2, I think) but I want to at least stop more from falling out.

I've been looking at studies on different doses, and I would start at 0.04mg or 1/25th of a pill. If I don't get side effects at that dose I'll probably keep it for a while. If that's not effective I'll try more but not more than 0.2mg.

So basically I'm looking for a good reason not to do it. I previously took 0.5mg (one time) and had side effects for months. I'm not sure if they've even worn off yet 6 months later (the main thing is random pains in my testicles, but I have varicoceles so I'm not sure if it's that or something caused by the Propecia).

But if I could find a happy medium where my hair stops falling out and I don't have bad side effects...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StREPlp ... freload=10

aquaman

I took it for about a year. The puffiness I've never quite god rid of, I think probably through increased estrogen. I wouldn't take it.

OP
S

Sheik

Gl;itch.e said:
How much experimenting with nutritional and lifestyle optimization have you tried? That's where anyone with any health concerns should start before even considering a drug.
I had been eating far too little for a long time, though now I'm eating a bit more. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what caused my hair loss but who knows. My resting pulse and temp seem to have climbed just a bit, though they are still low. So you have a good point.

Here's my nutrition report for the week:
http://i60.tinypic.com/24vuruc.png

-Is that a lot of PUFAs?
-I might start using eggshells to up my calcium to phosphate ratio

On the other hand, I'm not expecting to regrow any hair from just getting healthy. I suppose it's possible.

That video is very convincing, especially the fact that his sides got so much worse after stopping the medication.

There are theories that if your hormones are out of balance already, Propecia can really screw you up. I'm not exactly the healthiest at the moment. Maybe when I get healthier I'll be more resilient... Plus I'd be trying 0.04mg which is much less than prescribed.

I've got the Propecia, I'm just really worried. I've got big plans in life, you know? I don't want to make myself a zombie.

aquaman said:
I took it for about a year. The puffiness I've never quite god rid of, I think probably through increased estrogen. I wouldn't take it.
When did you stop taking it?

marcar72

I wouldn't take it or any other man made drugs unless I absolutely had to in a last ditch effort type of scenario.

My hair has always been MEH. Super thin and frizzy. So every since high school I buzz it off with clippers after about 1/2 inch of growth. AKA the "reverse comb-over" lol..... :2cents

johns74

I would try vitamin E (mixed tocopherols), vitamin K2, taurine, and glycine, with a low PUFA diet first.

For vitamin E I would use 4spectrum or Carlson E-Gems Plus, Thorne for vitamin K2, and any product without unnecessary additives for taurine and glycine.

Gl;itch.e

johns74 said:
I would try vitamin E (mixed tocopherols), vitamin K2, taurine, and glycine, with a low PUFA diet first.

For vitamin E I would use 4spectrum or Carlson E-Gems Plus, Thorne for vitamin K2, and any product without unnecessary additives for taurine and glycine.
All good "pro-hair" vitamins as Danny Roddy would call them. Id add some b6 in there for lowering prolactin and maybe niacinamide and b1 to support oxidative metabolism.

johns74

The difference between those I mentioned and vitamin B6 is that the former are safe while vitamin B6 can have serious side effects if overdosed. It depends I guess on the risk one tolerates. Vitamin E reduces prolactin.

Gl;itch.e

johns74 said:
The difference between those I mentioned and vitamin B6 is that the former are safe while vitamin B6 can have serious side effects if overdosed. It depends I guess on the risk one tolerates. Vitamin E reduces prolactin.
Key word, overdosed. 25-50mg a day wouldn't hurt but can definitely help.

Spokey

If you take Propecia, I will kill one of the hostages every 24 hours until you stop.

tara

Gl;itch.e said:
Since you are even asking it sounds like you have serious doubts.

How much experimenting with nutritional and lifestyle optimization have you tried? That's where anyone with any health concerns should start before even considering a drug. Especially when we are talking about a drug with some pretty devastating potential side effects. As much as hair loss sucks its still pretty benign in comparison with some of the side effects that could become permanent.
:yeahthat

yoshiesque

what about just taking progesterone?

Danny Roddy says that the reason propecia/avodart even works at all, is because its chemically similar to progesterone. And that you could just take progesterone instead, without the bad side effects.

yoshiesque

Also, why not try the topical applications ray peat recommended?

Im gonna try it - topical aspirin/niacinimide/caffeine

I am also balding and finally decided to do something about it. Half the reason why im here. Its cheap to make that topical application too

OP
S

Sheik

I'll be trying some vitamin E for sure. I also heard it might help with teeth sensitivity. I have to research some of those other suggestions.

I used Progest-E twice, one drop. It made me feel kind of loopy. I'm interested as to why. It also made my libido pretty low both times, I think. I'll try it at least once more.

I also tried pregnenolone pills. 30 mg seemed to have the same effects as Progest-E, except the effects didn't last as long.

As for that mix of aspirin, niacinimide, and caffeine, I'm skeptical. I haven't heard any reports from anyone who tried it. I'd be willing to try it; I was just looking at other, more promising options.

johns74

Just google taurine hair loss.

The rationale behind vitamin E and vitamin K2 is that they help with circulation and reversing calcification.

OP
S

Sheik

Does anyone have any idea why Progest-e made me feel loopy? I only took one drop which is supposed to be about 3 mg of progesterone. Maybe I'm not at all deficient in progesterone and I don't need any more?

koganmj

Read Hair Like A Fox by Danny Roddy. He's also just started a project called Organizing the Panic.

Finasteride/Propecia --> seriously risky. People have had the quality of their lives ruined by those drugs.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals