Controversial Info Against Saturated Fats. Can Someone Help Making Sense Of This?

AnnaB3

I was recently listening to a podcast between Lacy Phillips and Karen Hurd on the "Expanded" podcast and Karen spoke about the dangers of saturated fat in pretty compelling way... I am including the link to the podcast and the particular point around saturated fats is brought up around 1hr 25min on the thread.

Expanded x Ep. 75: Healing Through Food with Nutritionist Karen Hurd — To Be Magnetic™ | Manifest the life you deserve for less than a dollar a day.

Karen explains how when saturated fats are consumed they are highly UN-reactive and we cannot use them so the body, in the mitochondria, uses the process of beta-oxidation to break them down and that process of oxidation is what we all agree is so damaging to our health. So my question here is whether the body cannot, in fact, use the saturated fat and breaks it down through the oxidative process or if we this is not the case and we assimilate/utilize the saturated fat in a way that is not disastrous for our health... I am very eager to know the answer here before I add another teaspoon of ghee to my coffee or take a shot of coconut oil.

Also on the topic of oxidation... the process to create low-fat milk seems to suggest that one would then be consuming oxidized cholesterol which doesn't sound good either.
https://www.lilsipper.com/the-science-behind-fat-free-dairy-and-why-whole-milk-is-better/

Any info on these two things would be most appreciated.
Thank you!!

Lollipop2

Welcome to the forum @AnnaB3! This has been discussed many many times on the forum. You might search burning saturated fats for more detail. Also go to Ray’s website and read his article called Oils in Context (something like this if I am not exactly remembering). His website: raypeat.com

Ray says the body preferentially burns saturated fat and stores PUFA to later safely excrete from the liver rather then burn it as fuel which is toxic.

Jib

Dairy Fats and Cardiovascular Disease: Do We Really Need to Be Concerned?

Very interesting read. Basically, don't worry about it. The emphasis in this study is obviously dairy, but they have some stuff on SFA in general as well.

"The effectiveness of the reduction of SFA in the diet to lower CVD development has been the subject of major controversy and debate that reignites regularly [56]. The weaknesses in the data [62,63], the complex disease pathology, the numerous risk factors and the inadequate reliance on single biomarkers to assess CVD risk [52,56] have highlighted a number of discrepancies in the ‘lipid hypothesis’. Several meta-analyses and systematic reviews further cast doubt over the effect of SFA on CVD outcomes [49,64], particularly the controversial PURE study, which assessed the dietary intake of 135,335 subjects from 18 countries across five continents for 7.4 year and found that total fat and types of fat were not associated with CVD, myocardial infarction, or CVD mortality. Further still, SFA was inversely associated with stroke [65]. The PURE study investigators state that advice to restrict SFA “is largely based on selective emphasis on some observational and clinical data, despite the existence of several randomised trials and observational studies that do not support these conclusions” [65]."

Nuancé

The biggest controversy in nutrition is probably the intake of SFA vs PUFA, like on my topic.

Neither side is fundamentally right or wrong, as "PUFA" and "SFA" means a lot of things.

rei

STFU Karen.

There is nothing wrong with beta oxidation, in fact you will become stressed if there is not enough proper fat to oxidize. PUFA is oxidized as a last resort because it is so unstable the mitochondria takes significant damage doing so, and therefore produces little usable energy.

What RP says is bad about fat oxidation is that you need to be in a stressed state to do so preferentially instead of glucose. He does not say progesterone is bad, even when it increases fat oxidation. Because it does so in a completely different manner, not by increasing stress hormones.

This exactly same mechanism explains why mainstream sometimes find benefit from PUFA consumption in regards to "insulin resistance". That fat is so bad it is not used, so glucose oxidation stays higher. When you consume proper fat the body shifts all tissue that prefer fat to use it, so glucose consumption goes down, and so glucose tolerance looks worse to an ignorant mind reading the lab results.

the randle cycle is mainly applicable with consumption of saturated fat and prehaps mufa, not pufa as the body does not even think of it as fuel.

Last edited:
A skewed ratio between SAT : MUFA (should be 1 : 1 ?) can imperfect some metabolic proceedings, via imperfection of plausible unsaturation requirements in tissues and membranes, which alter their reactivity with altered unsaturation. Milkfat and milkproducts have a slightly skewed ratio that favors SAT. As an energy substrate and structural material it is essential and needs to be consumed.

GelatinGoblin

Welcome to the forum @AnnaB3! This has been discussed many many times on the forum. You might search burning saturated fats for more detail. Also go to Ray’s website and read his article called Oils in Context (something like this if I am not exactly remembering). His website: raypeat.com

Ray says the body preferentially burns saturated fat and stores PUFA to later safely excrete from the liver rather then burn it as fuel which is toxic.

I think you might have gotten something mixed up, Ray says stored PUFA both damages the Liver and the body when it is excreted into the blood via lipolysis; he also says burned PUFA is of relatively no harm.

Lollipop2

I think you might have gotten something mixed up, Ray says stored PUFA both damages the Liver and the body when it is excreted into the blood via lipolysis; he also says burned PUFA is of relatively no harm.
???? I do not think I have it mixed up. Read on.