Control Pause Question

dd99

From Oxygen Advantage by Patrick McKeown:
Performing a breath hold after an exhalation lowers the oxygen saturation of the blood to simulate the effects of high-altitude training. I have monitored the blood oxygen saturation of thousands of individuals as they practise breath holds, and by far the greatest change to oxygen saturation occurs after an exhalation. For most people, after four or five days of practice, a drop of oxygen saturation below 94 per cent can be observed – a level comparative to the effects of living at an altitude of 2,500 to 4,000 metres. Gently exhaling prior to holding the breath reduces air content in the lungs, allowing a quicker build-up of carbon dioxide and eliciting a stronger response. While this reduces the length of time for which you can hold your breath, increased carbon dioxide has been shown to improve haemoglobin concentration by around 10 per cent compared to a breath hold with normal carbon dioxide levels. Higher levels of carbon dioxide in the blood can produce an even greater contraction of the spleen, resulting in an increase in the release of red blood cells and therefore the oxygenation of the blood. Increased CO2 in the blood also causes haemoglobin to dissociate the oxygen it is carrying more readily. As described by the Bohr Effect, an increase in carbon dioxide decreases blood pH and causes oxygen to be offloaded from haemoglobin to the tissues, further reducing blood oxygen saturation.

Regina

From Oxygen Advantage by Patrick McKeown:
I've really been trying to be aware of this in class. I had completely taken for granted that since it's aikido, lots of talk about internal energy, breathing exercises and zazen, that we're probably on top of this. Not so. Friday night schedule is 1/2 hr of conditioning before 1 hr aikido (no breaks). So, I really turned my attention to breathing during the conditioning. Also, I did it somewhat half-heartedly floaty if it was at all "aerobic." They start with running and skipping around "to get the heart rate up." Everybody, including my teacher (or even especially my teacher) sounded like a room full of panting dogs. 'Let's all hyperventilate together before an 1 hr of hard-training.' Duh-oh!!!
It's not my place to suggest different.
And nutritionally, the group tends toward vegetarianism.
I skipped out on the potluck which was: chick peas, tofu, home-made bread, lentils and beer.
The Tibetan monks would be eating horse, milk, butter, honey(? not sure what kind of sugar they use).

Manwithnoname

Artour at normal breathing has said that the first urge to breath is controlled by oxygen in tissue. When oxygen is depleted in cells urge to breath occurs. This makes sense. But according to every study/textbook I have seen this is not the case. I asked Artour many times to provide studies that show that Control Pause was very sensitive to body oxygen levels but he never answered me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals