Control Pause, Maximum Pause, Heart Rate And CO2

m_arch

According to Buteyko's chart:

pulmonary-ventilation-criteria.jpg

high etco2 should correlate with a high control pause and maximum pause. So they shouldn't be fighting against one another.
Maybe a person with a high etco2 is better off measuring their maximum pause (I get 60 seconds) as a better measurement. with a 60 second max pause I should have a control pause of 40, but i'm getting 10. unless i'm doing it wrong. but it makes sense because of the increased respitory rate of a high metabolism.

To all who want to participate - what is your maximum pause? does this correlate to your control pause as per the graph? what about heart rate? and co2 measurement (if you have one).

It's interesting, I bet you would have a lower etco2 score then? It seems the chart doesn't always correlate..

Thing is I have a lot of positive effects. I don't get winded easily. I am rarely sick. My mind is very relaxed and I think clearly. My libido is vey high. I feel like I have very high co2

Ahanu

Just for clarification for people not familiar with the CP:

Control Pause:
A short definition of the CP is “the time that you can hold your breath until you feel the first impulse to breathe in again.”
The length of time you can hold your breath so that on resumption of breathing you immediately assume the pattern of breathing you had before the breath-hold.

Procedure:

1. Assume sitting posture, with a straight back.
2. After exhaling normally, hold your nose with your fingers.
3. Start your stopwatch. Hold your breath until you feel the first need to breathe again. The entire breath-hold must be completely effortless. The duration of this breath-hold is called the “Control Pause”.
4. As soon as you feel the first need to breathe again, release your nose and resume breathing. The depth of the first inhalation must be as it was when you started holding your breath.​

Maximum Pause:
The maximum length of time you can hold your breath and on resumption of breathing force your breathing into the pattern of breathing you had before the breath-hold.

Absolute Maximum Pause:
The absolutely longest period you can manage to hold your breath where on resumption of breathing it is no longer possible to force your breathing into the pattern before the breath-hold.

Novozhilov, Dr. Andrey (2013-05-28). Buteyko Breathing Manual: Stop Any Breathing Problems & Improve Health (Kindle Location 586). BreathingCenter.com. Kindle Edition.

Last edited:

Heidi

So I haven't ever checked maximum pause before. I've just been checking it this morning. It seems as though my maximum pause is always just 8-10 seconds above my CP. According to the definitions that Ahanu posted, all 3 measurements are very close together for me. I noticed that I have learned to relax when doing my CP. It feels effortless, but I am intentionally relaxing into the discomfort. My CP would be lower if I didn't do this.

My problem is that my CP fluctuates all over the place. It ranges from 10 to 30, and has been higher than 30 on a few rare occasions. I think 20 would be a good median number. This morning it has been between 15 and 25. But I have lots of days (especially in the second half of my cycle) where my CP won't even get to 15. Resting heart rate first thing in the morning ranges around 58-64. Morning temperature is 97.5 for 1st half of cycle, 98.2 for second half. I use an old oral digital thermometer, which I heard tends to give low readings.

Last summer when I last had bloodwork done, my CO2 was 27 mmol/L. and it said that normal range was 22-34 mmol/L. So that had my CO2 almost in the middle of that range. My breathing was terrible then. I was hyperventilating intentionally all the time. I am surprised that my levels were that good. I imagine they are a lot better now.

I think that I breath around 6 breaths per minute. There was a chart for that. It said that most people with a low CP like mine breath a lot faster than that.

Compared to when I use to run, my breathing isn't that good now. I get winded walking up a steep hill, especially if I am just breathing through my nose.

m_arch, it is really interesting to me that you have such a big range between your CP and MP, as my range is so dismal.

Ahanu

About the puls in the buteyko chart arthour writes:
"During the 1960's, when conducting his research, and later, Buteyko and his colleagues applied the Buteyko breathing retraining program mainly for heart and asthma patients, who were mostly hospitalized with frequent deficiencies in their blood cortisol levels. This explains the increased heart rates provided by the Table."

Rakhimov, Artour (2013-04-09). Advanced Buteyko Breathing Exercises (Buteyko Method Book 2) (p. 104). . Kindle Edition.

Last edited:
Yeah mine too. I thought "maximum pause" was just your longest breath hold lol. "absolute maximum pause" for me is 60 seconds, and that's taking a deep breath with my mouth before.
I don't take a deep breath. I exhale and at the bottom I pinch my nose, close my mouth and wait.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

So I haven't ever checked maximum pause before. I've just been checking it this morning. It seems as though my maximum pause is always just 8-10 seconds above my CP. According to the definitions that Ahanu posted, all 3 measurements are very close together for me. I noticed that I have learned to relax when doing my CP. It feels effortless, but I am intentionally relaxing into the discomfort. My CP would be lower if I didn't do this.

My problem is that my CP fluctuates all over the place. It ranges from 10 to 30, and has been higher than 30 on a few rare occasions. I think 20 would be a good median number. This morning it has been between 15 and 25. But I have lots of days (especially in the second half of my cycle) where my CP won't even get to 15. Resting heart rate first thing in the morning ranges around 58-64. Morning temperature is 97.5 for 1st half of cycle, 98.2 for second half. I use an old oral digital thermometer, which I heard tends to give low readings.

Last summer when I last had bloodwork done, my CO2 was 27 mmol/L. and it said that normal range was 22-34 mmol/L. So that had my CO2 almost in the middle of that range. My breathing was terrible then. I was hyperventilating intentionally all the time. I am surprised that my levels were that good. I imagine they are a lot better now.

I think that I breath around 6 breaths per minute. There was a chart for that. It said that most people with a low CP like mine breath a lot faster than that.

Compared to when I use to run, my breathing isn't that good now. I get winded walking up a steep hill, especially if I am just breathing through my nose.

m_arch, it is really interesting to me that you have such a big range between your CP and MP, as my range is so dismal.
Your CP is double mine - at an average of 20 seconds - but I can play tennis nose breathing 24/7. And that involves lots of sprinting etc, however I am taking large breaths through my nose at some points. Maybe this is more of a face structure thing - although you would think it correlates to lung strength.

Have you had asthma?

That's another question as well - an asthmatic with a strong CP can perhaps overcome their asthma, but even if their CP is greater than the non asthmatic, do they have more CO2? Is there breathing better, or is the co2 more protective of their breathing weakness more than anything else?

---------------

Maybe none of these questions even matter. I've found reduced breathing to help like in recovery from exercise; maybe this is grounds enough to keep practicing and the CP / MP scores are more relative to ones self. If they don't go up, there's still great benefit to practicing.

Ahanu

Maximum Pause:
The maximum length of time you can hold your breath and on resumption of breathing force your breathing into the pattern of breathing you had before the breath-hold.

Absolute Maximum Pause:
The absolutely longest period you can manage to hold your breath where on resumption of breathing it is no longer possible to force your breathing into the pattern before the breath-hold.

I forgot to mention: CP - MP - AMP in buteyko are always after a relaxed respiration. No big breath before. No concious\ altering breathing before. And idealy 10 minutes rest before.

Heidi

Your CP is double mine - at an average of 20 seconds - but I can play tennis nose breathing 24/7. And that involves lots of sprinting etc, however I am taking large breaths through my nose at some points. Maybe this is more of a face structure thing - although you would think it correlates to lung strength.

Have you had asthma?

That's another question as well - an asthmatic with a strong CP can perhaps overcome their asthma, but even if their CP is greater than the non asthmatic, do they have more CO2? Is there breathing better, or is the co2 more protective of their breathing weakness more than anything else?

---------------

Maybe none of these questions even matter. I've found reduced breathing to help like in recovery from exercise; maybe this is grounds enough to keep practicing and the CP / MP scores are more relative to ones self. If they don't go up, there's still great benefit to practicing.
My CP goes up and down. Sometimes it goes back to 10. Does yours ever improve a bit after some reduced breathing? I don't have any asthma or breathing difficulties, other than hyperventilation tendencies. That yours stays right at 10 is puzzling. Have you tested your CP after playing tennis and a 10 minute rest? It's good that you're relying on the results of the capnometer and your metabolism as a guide. The CP seems like some kind of riddle that we're trying to solve. I keep hoping that over time it will become more clear about the CP and how to raise it without inducing stress or lowering metabolism.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

$1850 for instruction in a breathing technique--ridiculous.
Buteyko? Yeah check out recovery breathing or plain old bag breathing. I think you just need to feel air hunger for 15 to 20 minutes. Push yourself but not too hard. Breathe with your stomach. Nose breathe 24/7 including when sleeping and when exercising.

Just saved you some cash :-P

OP
m_arch

m_arch

My CP goes up and down. Sometimes it goes back to 10. Does yours ever improve a bit after some reduced breathing? I don't have any asthma or breathing difficulties, other than hyperventilation tendencies. That yours stays right at 10 is puzzling. Have you tested your CP after playing tennis and a 10 minute rest? It's good that you're relying on the results of the capnometer and your metabolism as a guide. The CP seems like some kind of riddle that we're trying to solve. I keep hoping that over time it will become more clear about the CP and how to raise it without inducing stress or lowering metabolism.
I don't notice mine really improv. Yeah I'll keep doing it, but no hangups if it doesn't improve. It's good in and of itself.

I'm sure a high pH diet would help cp, but there's not much protein of quality in those. Might be a cool experiment one day for whoever is up for it

Dizzy45

Thing is I have a lot of positive effects. I don't get winded easily. I am rarely sick. My mind is very relaxed and I think clearly. My libido is vey high. I feel like I have very high co2
Sounds like life is good! Lol. My control pause is terrible.. 25 - 27 seconds :(