Contraceptive Pill

Franz

How bad is the contraceptive pill?
My girlfriend takes it. I've talked about it with her because I believe it is not good for her health. She agrees but thinks condoms arent safe enough.

She said she will take an injection that will last for 3 years because it will release the hormones continually and it won't cause fluctuations in hormone levels as with the pill.
Will that make much of a difference?

Are there ways of countering the negative effects a bit?

I would be interested in hearing the opinions of some women here :)

4peatssake

Franz said:
How bad is the contraceptive pill?
My girlfriend takes it. I've talked about it with her because I believe it is not good for her health. She agrees but thinks condoms arent safe enough.

She said she will take an injection that will last for 3 years because it will release the hormones continually and it won't cause fluctuations in hormone levels as with the pill.
Will that make much of a difference?

Are there ways of countering the negative effects a bit?

I would be interested in hearing the opinions of some women here :)

It's been a good 25 years or more since I took a birth control pill but I took it only for a very short time after having an aversion to it.

I am quite certain, however, that I did serious hormonal damage to myself using heavy doses of infertility drugs over a 3 year period. That said, I do have two beautiful children. :)

You and your girlfriend may find this helpful.

The Estrogen Alternative: A Guide to Natural Hormonal Balance By Raquel Martin said:
Dr. Ray Peat cautions that the use of estrogens, birth control pills, and even IUDs can cause progesterone deficiency. One study shows, in fact, that the intrauterine device blocks ovarian production of progesterone by a mechanism called luteolysis - a process in which the IUD's chronic uterine irritation causes degeneration of the corpus luteum (the source of ovarian progesterone). Such aritificial means of contraception can cause severe cramping, infertility, weight gain, and other seemingly unrelated problems, with breast cancer included among the long-term reactions to the Pill. A 1966 study by Spellacy and Carlson demonstrated the danger of prolonged pancreatic stimulation by oral contraceptives. This increased the level of free fatty acids and the tendency toward diabetes.

Dr. Ray Peat cautions that the unexpected can occur when the body is exposed to the dangers of chemically altered hormones. As Dr. John Lee tells us, "Some of these drugs [have] resulted in permanent loss of ovary function. . . . [And] vaginitis occurs more often among women taking contraceptive pills. . . . Contraceptive pills prevent the normal hormone-generated mucus from being produced to protect them. Birth control pills work, after all, by suppressing normal hormones.

J

j.

Just tell her she'll have more satisfying orgasms without it. :P

4peatssake

j. said:
Just tell her she'll have more satisfying orgasms without it. :P

:rofl :rolling :rollingred

That outta do it!

OP
F

Franz

The problem is that she doesn't really see any urgency in stopping with the pill. She says she won't continue with hormonal birth control for the rest of her life but some more years wont hurt in her point of view. She's been using the pill since she was 11, so that's 8 years :/.
It doesn't really help that she's a medicine student and is a little skeptical about my alternative view on health as a psychology student.
I dont think she's will like the FAM, too much effort. I guess the only option will be to convince her of the serious harm it can do and to switch over to condoms.

and Jenn, I would like your opinion ;). I agree on what you said so far!

HDD

I took the pill for several years and then used an IUD. My vision and gait were affected at beginning of 2 nd pregnancy. My ability to walk was affected again on 5th pregnancy that I miscarried. Diagnosis by Dr. was/is MS. Ray Peat attributes MS to estrogen and hypothyroidism. Hormones definitely affected my health.

4peatssake

Franz said:
The problem is that she doesn't really see any urgency in stopping with the pill. She says she won't continue with hormonal birth control for the rest of her life but some more years wont hurt in her point of view. She's been using the pill since she was 11, so that's 8 years :/.
It doesn't really help that she's a medicine student and is a little skeptical about my alternative view on health as a psychology student.
I dont think she's will like the FAM, too much effort. I guess the only option will be to convince her of the serious harm it can do and to switch over to condoms.

If she has been taking it since she was 11, presumably she wasn't taking it at that time for reasons of contraception but perhaps to regulate her periods?? Unless she was sexually active at 11. :?

There may actually be an advantage to her being a medical student if she is willing to look at both the true science and personal testimony of women such as HDD (haagendaszdiane) and others who are aware how taking estrogen harmed their health.

I am still investigating this for myself and was grateful to your post because I realize I need to address the issue of having taken heavy duty fertility drugs for a period of time to understand their effects on my health and how to make corrections to address that. So thanks!

Good luck!

OP
F

Franz

j. said:
Maybe you could always use condoms whether she is using estrogen or not.

Would she read this? Not the "female hormone," but the shock hormone.

But why?? :P

And yes, I think she would read that if I asked her too :). any more artikels and info are very much welcome. I was also thinking about writing a little assay about both viewpoints and the conclusions I made from the info available.

OP
F

Franz

Haagendazendiane said:
I took the pill for several years and then used an IUD. My vision and gait were affected at beginning of 2 nd pregnancy. My ability to walk was affected again on 5th pregnancy that I miscarried. Diagnosis by Dr. was/is MS. Ray Peat attributes MS to estrogen and hypothyroidism. Hormones definitely affected my health.

Sorry to hear about this :(. And this is also the excact thing I'm worrying about. She is still doing going pretty strong but dont want her health to run into serious health problem later nor do I wan't her/our? future children to be affected.

OP
F

Franz

4peatssake said:
Franz said:

If she has been taking it since she was 11, presumably she wasn't taking it at that time for reasons of contraception but perhaps to regulate her periods?? Unless she was sexually active at 11. :?

There may actually be an advantage to her being a medical student if she is willing to look at both the true science and personal testimony of women such as HDD (haagendaszdiane) and others who are aware how taking estrogen harmed their health.

I am still investigating this for myself and was grateful to your post because I realize I need to address the issue of having taken heavy duty fertility drugs for a period of time to understand their effects on my health and how to make corrections to address that. So thanks!

Good luck!

Yes it was to regulate her period, it was very painfull to her.
She's atleast is open to hearing both sides, though she is pretty headstrong so I need to play this carefully :P.

Jenn

So she was ALREADY having issues with her health at age 11.....
Excess estrogen makes for some tough ol' birds.... ;)

There is only one way to truly 100% guarantee not getting pregnant...... :2cents

HDD

Franz said:
Haagendazendiane said:

Sorry to hear about this :(. And this is also the excact thing I'm worrying about. She is still doing going pretty strong but dont want her health to run into serious health problem later nor do I wan't her/our? future children to be affected.

Thanks, Franz. I was going pretty strong until i was knocked down.I am ok now. I had not thought of the pill or IUD being part of the picture until your post. I am connecting the dots. Now, my grown children are my greater concern. Three had or have health issues.

Rayser

My heart skipped a beat when I read that your girlfriend has been using the pill since she was 11.
If you want to read any article by Ray Peat (http://www.raypeat.com), especially one about progesterone or estrogen you will notice that there is only one function estrogen should have: It triggers ovulation.
Every other action is negative and opposes the positive actions of every other hormone or neurotransmitter.
There is no degenerative disease that is not in some way related to estrogen.
I have a friend who was on the pill since she turned 16 and always told me she "noticed nothing negative". These words came back to haunt her when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I have lost so many female friends to cancer and they had all been taking the pill. Of course there were other factors, I'm sure of it. But the pill made it impossible for them to regenerate. That's the awful thing about it: You notice how harmful the pill is when it's already too late to change something.
I would not tell your girlfriend this story because I hate to shock people into doing something and I recommend you don't try that either.

But maybe you can tell her about me. I was prescribed the pill when I was 15 because of migraines. They became a lot worse on the pill which made my gynecologist think I wasn't getting enough estrogen. He gave me a higher dosage. At 21 I developed cysts on the ovaries and one ovary was surgically removed. They told me it was near cancerous tissue. Nobody in my family had ever had cancer and none of the women had ever been on the pill.

My temperature while I was on the pill was always very, very low. I remember it never climbed to 36C. My hands and feet were cold (people always commented about it) and I was either freezing or sweating. The estrogen load completely blocked my thyroid gland and destroyed my metabolism. I could have slept the whole day long only I was still tired when I got up. I gained fat easily even if I didn't eat much. Then I started to develop different kinds of allergies and asthma.

Estrogen suppresses the thyroid gland, the production of cell protective progesterone and the use of vitamin E, the renewal of bone mass, regeneration after stressperiods, differentiation of new cells, mitochondrial energy production. It promotes inflammation, growth, edema, cortisol, prolactin, serotonin, excited cells, bone calcification, allergies, hypothyroidism, hypo- and hyperglycemia, autoimmun diseases, cancer, aging, hair loss, calcification of soft tissue, muscle atrophy, infertility (in men and women) ...

If you want to do some research on the pill you will find that originally in the 1950s doctors thought about using progesterone (that is: natural progesterone) for birth control. The reason was that they already treated women with osteoporosis by giving them estrogen (It blocks the removal of old bone cells but also the rebuilding of new cells which would be triggered by progesterone) and they knew that estrogen causes cancer. So to give these women a way of birth control without increasing their already increased risk of cancer, they wanted to give them natural progesterone.

It turned out that no pharma company wanted to produce a product with natural progesterone because progesterone is a natural product, it cannot be patented. That means there would never have been a way to make a lot of money with it because every other company could have offered exactly the same product. So Big Pharma suggested they use estrogen instead. There are enough different kinds of estrogen so every company could have their own brand. They could even re-build progesterone in a lab and imitate 4 of the 200 functions (molecular weight, seize, structure and form to fit the receptors and let the body know he didn't need to produce progesterone because the receptors were already filled). In fact this "progestin" works like estrogen, too. By blocking the production of progesterone it causes estrogen dominance just as effectively.

There was a very good article about the pill on a website called "Moody Cow" but I cannot find the page anymore. It was called chemical rape. If I have the article somewhere I can send it to you.
Dr. Katharina Dalton has done a lot of research on progesterone as birth control (You don't get it in a pill!). You'll find all the information in her book. I use progest-e-complex as a birth control and so do many of my friends. No unwanted pregnancies since 2009. The method is as safe as the estrogen pill. You use the drops 3 times a day (I use a pea-sized drop on my tongue) and stop for 4 to 5 days before you start again.
Btw - the injection is nothing more than a concentrated version of the pill and just as harmful, only less safe because less tested.

OP
F

Franz

Thank you Rayser for your lengthy reply :)

I will probably show her the whole post, at the moment I'm gathering "evidence" to convince her of the urgent need to get off the pill. I dont want to see her slowly destroying her health. Somewhere during the summer I want her off the pill. I'm not sure what I would do if she flat out refuses :(.

Please do send me that article, I will find it very usefull.

I'm interested in progest-e as a method of birth control. Is there any research/ statistics to back up your claim that it is as safe as the estrogen pill? A quick google seach did already show up this article on progesterone and Katharina Dalton: http://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/ ... ne-dangers
I would have to thoughroughly reseach this before I can consider this option. I'm not so eager to mess with hormones, even if peat approves.
By the way, what book of Katharina Dalton are you referring to? "Once a month"?

OP
F

Franz

Oh and if she does get off the pill but gets those very painfull periods again (she is absolutely no wuss and can take pain like a champ but that was too much for her), then I will have to be able to help her with that. Otherwise she would be only too eager to get back on the pill :/. Does somebody perhaps have some insights as to what can cause very painfull periods?

J

j.

What I would do is just mention that article. If she wants to stop using it, good, otherwise I would accept it and forget about it (until she gets cancer, I guess).