Consuming Sucrose- or HFCS-sweetened Beverages Increases Hepatic Lipid and Decreases Insulin Sensitivity in Adults

rei

This is yet more evidence that eating large amounts of added sugar with impaired glucose metabolism is probably causing more harm than good. The study is quite well designed so unlikely to be an illusory result. Explains well why many on this forum who misinterpret Peat's message and add plain sugar to their diets experience weight gain.

Dr. B

This is yet more evidence that eating large amounts of added sugar with impaired glucose metabolism is probably causing more harm than good. The study is quite well designed so unlikely to be an illusory result. Explains well why many on this forum who misinterpret Peat's message and add plain sugar to their diets experience weight gain.

but it is supposed to be better and less damaging than white rice or white starches like bread and pasta? maybe bread/pasta are more tolerable when fortified with b vitamins but then they're also iron fortified. havent there been studies showing starchy carbs cause like 50% more fat gain than sugar ones, for instance eating 100g carbs from rice would be like 150g carbs from sugar, bread may be even more considering it can cause inflammation more so than rice

OP
R

rei

but it is supposed to be better and less damaging than white rice or white starches like bread and pasta? maybe bread/pasta are more tolerable when fortified with b vitamins but then they're also iron fortified. havent there been studies showing starchy carbs cause like 50% more fat gain than sugar ones, for instance eating 100g carbs from rice would be like 150g carbs from sugar, bread may be even more considering it can cause inflammation more so than rice

This study was not equipped to look for difference between sugar and starch. It only looked at what happens when you excessively add sugar to an already carbohydrate rich standard american diet.

Perry Staltic

This study was not equipped to look for difference between sugar and starch. It only looked at what happens when you excessively add sugar to an already carbohydrate rich standard american diet.

I have my doubts that the standard American diet is rich in complex carbs. I think refined carbs would be more accurate. The study says participants were fed complex carbs.

OP
R

rei

I have my doubts that the standard American diet is rich in complex carbs. I think refined carbs would be more accurate. The study says participants were fed complex carbs.

the main part of the study was "drink this 600cal of sugar water daily and eat normally" and the few days of controlled meals is pretty insignificant in comparison.

complex carbs include any carbs except sugars, so what a SAD mainly consists of. I highly doubt sugars provide more calories than other carb sources in a typical SAD

Perry Staltic

the main part of the study was "drink this 600cal of sugar water daily and eat normally" and the few days of controlled meals is pretty insignificant in comparison.

complex carbs include any carbs except sugars, so what a SAD mainly consists of. I highly doubt sugars provide more calories than other carb sources in a typical SAD

You can't tell me refined carbs are complex carbs. I mean, you can, but it's not true.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom