Constipation

iLoveSugar

Seriously looking for help here as nothing works!
I am terribly bloated all the time, which aggravates my symptoms to a whole different level. It's all day-every day, for a long time now. I can not find relief for anything.

Unsuccessful with LARGE doses of Cascara from both the co-op in Ohio AND Farmaglador in Italy. Daily carrot and bamboo doesn't help. Coffee doesn't help. I eat broth daily, milk, no starch, meat, etc.

My bowels are always so dry and I bleed every day that I don't load up on Milk of Magnesia.

I also take about 15-20 mcg thyroid per day.

I'm a young male (under 30). I'm so faint all the time, terribly bloat, bad heartburn, etc. Desperate for answers.

J

j.

Have you tried getting 80 grams of protein regularly, at least for a few days, from sources you can digest and tolerate?

The combination of potato protein juice, eggs, and maybe cheese, should make that goal achievable, although it might take a lot of work to make the amount of potato protein juice you might need.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

j. said:
Brand of thyroid?

Cynomel. I had cynoplus as well, but after quite a few emails back and fourth with Dr. Peat, he says Cynomel is a better choice.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

j. said:
Have you tried getting 80 grams of protein regularly, at least for a few days, from sources you can digest and tolerate?

The combination of potato protein juice, eggs, and maybe cheese, should make that goal achievable, although it might take a lot of work to make the amount of potato protein juice you might need.

That's my problem-I really don't digest anything well. At all! I do get 80 regularly, between eggs, beef, shellfish, milk, ice cream, and cheese.

J

j.

If you don't digest the milk well, I'm not sure it counts. I think potato protein juice is the most digestible.

J

j.

What type of milk do you use? Ultrapasteurized, pasteurized, or raw? Some people say raw is more digestible. I was never able to digest a lot of UHT milk.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

j. said:
What type of milk do you use? Ultrapasteurized, pasteurized, or raw? Some people say raw is more digestible. I was never able to digest a lot of UHT milk.

I just have grass fed, pasturized. No access to raw.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Also- the constipation was here before Peat as well, when I was completely dairy free.

J

j.

Are you sure you don't consume any goitrogens? Peaches and strawberries, for example, are mild goitrogens, but I think people with problems should avoid them as well. Way back, when I made peaches my main fruit for a few months, I had constipation.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

j. said:
Are you sure you don't consume any goitrogens? Peaches and strawberries, for example, are mild goitrogens, but I think people with problems should avoid them as well. Way back, when I made peaches my main fruit for a few months, I had constipation.

I have never been a big fruit eater. Also this problem is going on 5 years now and I have tried so many different diets. As a matter of fact, I rarely have any fruit, not even OJ anymore because everything makes me so bad. My gut is a terrible bloat. From heartburn, all the way down the tract. So S.L.U.G.G.I.S.H....

natedawggh

Where are you getting your vitamins and minerals if you're not eating fruit? Fruit is kind of the cornerstone of good health. OJ is fine but it's not a substitute. Also, You're drinking waaay too much liquid, you sound hypothyroid and taking that much liquid when you're hypothyroid is like throwing gasoline on a fire. You said you don't eat meat but in another post you said you eat beef, so which is it? You need to go to a competent doctor and if you don't like the answer they're giving you, go to another one. An elimination diet is probably a good idea too, and though I've seen a lot of people suggest that for you I haven't heard if you've actually done it. If you haven't, you really should.

J

j.

natedawggh said:
Also, You're drinking waaay too much liquid, you sound hypothyroid and taking that much liquid when you're hypothyroid is like throwing gasoline on a fire.

This idea that if you're hypothyroid you're necessarily going to have problem with liquid is refuted by the experience of many people on this forum, and I don't think it was stated by Ray Peat.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You might enjoy the fruit and vegetable broth that Mittir has written about. I just started making it myself and believe it or not it's wonderful. I've been using one potato, one apple and one cucumber all peeled and diced. I boil them in about 2 cups of water for 25 minutes and then remove the fruit and vegetable chunks with a slotted spoon. You can add leafy greens but you will need to add some baking soda to neutralize the oxalates. I salt it liberally and drink it warm. Delish, and easy on the GI tract too. It boils down to about one cup.

marcar72

I used to have a problem with constipation as well. It got worse it seemed when I started Peating and cut shredded wheat cereal (fiber) out of my diet. It got to the point that last fall I decided to add shredded wheat cereal back into my diet to "move things along".

Well it turns out that when I added wheat back into my diet it did help push things through, but was dropping these humongous deuces that hurt to move. I also realized that I was having some gluten sensitivity symptoms when I added wheat back in, so I dropped it completely out of my diet about 5 months ago.

Things have gotten a lot better but I'm not sure if it's any one thing or a combination of things. I would say that I feel gluten was maybe causing me some ulcerative coiitis and that was the cause of my constipation. I've also here a few months ago increased my potato consumption quite a bit, and I remember a poster named Jenn stating that potato consumption could heal the gut. Maybe that has something to do with it. One other thing that I started doing a few months ago was I started supplementing magnesium in the form of Epsom salt. I mix a cup of water with a little more than 1 level teaspoon of Epsom salt soon before I head to bed as a tonic. I sort of dial in how big of a level teaspoon to use based on how my previous bowel movement was. A bit more for harder stools and a bit less for softer stools.

I no longer have any constipation and there is no pain involved with my bowel movements. Also there isn't any noticeable blood in my stool. The difference for me is as night is to day, a total 180 degree turn in my regularity. I also don't "break the porcelain" dropping huge deuces anymore, lol. :lol: If you decide to try Epsom salt be sure it's pure MgSO4 that one can take for "occasional constipation". :2cents

Steffi

I have the worst constipation of my life - and never really had one like that before.

But then it's rather clear since causes for constipation are:
- too much dairy
- chocolate
- not enough fiber
- too much Calcium

That seems to be a quite accurate description of the diet suggested here. I felt not bad in the first days of starting this diet 5 days ago - now I feel bad and am in pain.

I'll have to add a LOT of veggies/salad back in! How do you guys do it?

Dayman

How often do you actually go?
I can sometimes be on the IBS side, with alternating constipation and then diarrhea.
cascara has also not worked for me and it gives me Diarrhea (sorry if TMI). But aloe vera has been successful so far(only just started). try to find one equivalent to this http://www.health2000.co.nz/shop/digest ... /p4563/c61
which is what I use.
If i've been constipated for a couple of days I do a sea salt purgative in the morning. 2teaspoons salt in 2 quarts of water. It's not pretty but clears the bowel. I suggest doing that when you have easy access to the bathroom. I also feel better maybe because my body absorbs some salt.
On the heartburn thing have you tried betaine HCL. If I take too much it actually feels like heartburn but if I eat something it settles down.
anyway these are just some ideas.

Kasper

If you don't digest well, I would go for stomach acid (HCl).

If you don't have enough stomach acid,
you are not able to digest protein, carbs, micronutrients properly.
And to get a natural production of stomach acid,
you need to absorb those nutrients.
So I think it is fighting a lossing battle, if you are not digesting properly.

Research have confirmed that low stomach acid reduces absorption of nutrients such as iron, B12, folate, calcium and zinc. The absorption of calcium rises 5-fold if you raise the acid in your stomach from pH 6.5 to pH 1. Although there is little systemic research on the absorption of other nutrients, there is good reason to believe that low acid levels may also effect levels of vitamin A, vitamin E, thiamine (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), and niacin (vitamin B3). Theoretically, the absorption of any nutrient that is bound to protein will be inhibited.

BobbyDukes

marcar72 said:
I used to have a problem with constipation as well. It got worse it seemed when I started Peating and cut shredded wheat cereal (fiber) out of my diet. It got to the point that last fall I decided to add shredded wheat cereal back into my diet to "move things along".

Well it turns out that when I added wheat back into my diet it did help push things through, but was dropping these humongous deuces that hurt to move. I also realized that I was having some gluten sensitivity symptoms when I added wheat back in, so I dropped it completely out of my diet about 5 months ago.

Things have gotten a lot better but I'm not sure if it's any one thing or a combination of things. I would say that I feel gluten was maybe causing me some ulcerative coiitis and that was the cause of my constipation. I've also here a few months ago increased my potato consumption quite a bit, and I remember a poster named Jenn stating that potato consumption could heal the gut. Maybe that has something to do with it. One other thing that I started doing a few months ago was I started supplementing magnesium in the form of Epsom salt. I mix a cup of water with a little more than 1 level teaspoon of Epsom salt soon before I head to bed as a tonic. I sort of dial in how big of a level teaspoon to use based on how my previous bowel movement was. A bit more for harder stools and a bit less for softer stools.

I no longer have any constipation and there is no pain involved with my bowel movements. Also there isn't any noticeable blood in my stool. The difference for me is as night is to day, a total 180 degree turn in my regularity. I also don't "break the porcelain" dropping huge deuces anymore, lol. :lol: If you decide to try Epsom salt be sure it's pure MgSO4 that one can take for "occasional constipation". :2cents

I have this exact same issue! Literally, they are like pieces of concrete. I wonder what casuses this? Most of what I am eating is animal protein, so I guess my shoddy metabolism just finds it difficult to process what I eating.

I have tried many magnesium supplments and most do nothing. But have learned recently that epsom salt (food grade) can be taken for constipation. Well, I have many kilos of the stuff, which I bought for bathing. The bathing in epsom salts seems to relax me slightly, but it's nothing out of this world. If it can work for my constipation, that would be a far more cost effective way of using it (orally). I'm going to try this tonight in the dose you spoke of. Thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals