Constipation Solved

acrylic

Hey everyone - I've been struggling with on-and-off constipation for years, and have tried everything from carrot salad, to antibiotics, to coconut oil, to laxatives, to fiber, to cascara etc. Pretty much anything that has been recommended for intestinal/gut health I've tried...

Just recently I decided to start experimenting with baking soda for this purpose. I've been taking one teaspoon of baking soda (dissolved in a cup of water) in the morning, and one teaspoon (dissolved in a cup of water) in the evening. Problem completely solved. I have great movements each and every day with this approach. 0 straining. 0 constipation.

Just thought I'd share.

DesertRat

I'm going to try it tonight as adding more starch into my diet (lack of kitchen, traveling in Italy) has resulted in constipation over the last week. Hoping it works for me.

Bodhi

I get this effect on my bowels when i take 500/1000mgs of Mg glycinate with a little oxide....

jyb

Just recently I decided to start experimenting with baking soda for this purpose. I've been taking one teaspoon of baking soda (dissolved in a cup of water) in the morning, and one teaspoon (dissolved in a cup of water) in the evening.

Baking soda is a laxative for me (with the sort of doses I was taking).

tyler

Hey everyone - I've been struggling with on-and-off constipation for years, and have tried everything from carrot salad, to antibiotics, to coconut oil, to laxatives, to fiber, to cascara etc. Pretty much anything that has been recommended for intestinal/gut health I've tried...

Just recently I decided to start experimenting with baking soda for this purpose. I've been taking one teaspoon of baking soda (dissolved in a cup of water) in the morning, and one teaspoon (dissolved in a cup of water) in the evening. Problem completely solved. I have great movements each and every day with this approach. 0 straining. 0 constipation.

Just thought I'd share.

Baking soda is a laxative for me (with the sort of doses I was taking).

How far away from food are you guys taking baking soda? Because baking soda nuetralizes stomach acid, I'm always worried that it will stop or hinder the digestion process.

interesting...if you exhale, pinch your nose and keep your lips closed, eventually you will have a bowel movement. CO2 increases gut motility.

jyb

How far away from food are you guys taking baking soda? Because baking soda nuetralizes stomach acid, I'm always worried that it will stop or hinder the digestion process.

I don't take it (I don't have constipation so laxative would be harmful).

jyb

What do you mean laxative would be harmful? Isn't constipation the time when you should take a laxative?

I have a normal transit time and don't need to speed it up. Too long is bad, but too quick too...

x-ray peat

I wonder whats safer Magnesium or baking soda. Briefly looking in to it baking soda can cause kidney stones when on a high calcium diet ala RP.

tara

I wonder whats safer Magnesium or baking soda. Briefly looking in to it baking soda can cause kidney stones when on a high calcium diet ala RP.
My non-expert guess is it depends on what you personally are needing.

Unless you have ways to monitor, I would be careful with regular large supplements of baking soda, esp if you are also supplementing calcium. There are a couple of people here who reported getting into serious trouble with milk-alkali syndrome.

Maybe see if 1/4 tsp baking soda is enough to get the useful effect, so you don't need to take a full tsp regularly. If you are needing Mg anyway, then that might be an indicator, too?

beachbum

Just thought I'd share.
Just out of curiosity did you have water retention before doing this, if so did it get ride of it.

serling78

Started trying the baking soda last night and this morning,
So far the result is instead of being constipated with a couple tiny solid poops per day I now have had tiny liquid poops 3 times today. Still feel very bloated and constipated.

Not sure if this is a sign of the mysterious cause, but whenever I try something that acts as a laxative like salt water, magnesium citrate, or baking soda I just end up with diarrhea constipation instead of normal constipation. But either way I have no significant or complete evacuation.

ElenaB

I don't take it (I don't have constipation so laxative would be harmful).
then why are you responding to this chain? completely irrelevant to the topic that is being discussed, people who are constipated need this information, and you are not. Thank you though.