Constant Insatiable Hunger, Extreme Stress, And Brain Fog All For 7 Years Now

OP
D

Dan77

Thyroid tests are of limited value.

The only way you are going to find out how starch affects you is by removing it completely.

I'd suggest directing your efforts towards increasing your metabolic rate. Everything else is endless rabbit holes with a million and one dodgy supplements, for the most part

That would include considering thyroid hormone.

Dude. I literally explained throughout the entire forum that anything which raises my metabolic rate intensifies all my symptoms, worsening it 10 fold.

Thyroid glandular and hormone destroys me. Iodine ruins me. Vitamins C, Vitamin E, and other commonly recommended things here make me feel like ***t.

Starch does not affect me at all.

Ray Peat seems like a good guy, and he has some great insights, but this cultish behaviour that he’s right about everything is ridiculous.

I understand that Paleo always thinks they’re right, vegan thinks they’re right, Keto think they’re right, and on and on...

But you have to accept health is more complicated than a strict system from one researcher on the Internet.
There are literally thousands of researchers with different opinions.

What’s a cure for someone can be a poison for another.

If you were actually suffering daily, you would understand.

Markus

Dude. I literally explained throughout the entire forum that anything which raises my metabolic rate intensifies all my symptoms, worsening it 10 fold.

Thyroid glandular and hormone destroys me. Iodine ruins me. Vitamins C, Vitamin E, and other commonly recommended things here make me feel like ***t.

Ray Peat seems like a good guy, and he has some great insights, but this cultish behaviour that he’s right about everything is ridiculous.

I understand that Paleo always thinks they’re right, vegan thinks they’re right, Keto think they’re right, and on and on...

But you have to accept health is more complicated than a strict system from one researcher on the Internet.

I feel you man!

OP
D

Dan77

I feel you man!
I wish health were that simple man.

In some Vegan forum, they told me if I get rid of meat, all my symptoms will go away.

Some Keto dude told me low carb is the only way...

People are seriously brainwashed with this idea that one diet is superior and will cure everything.
If only...

thomas00

I suffered daily for most of my life, with a good part of that spent in bed watching my youth go by without me, subjecting myself to every fad diet,supplement and orthodox medical approach available at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars and often at the worsening of my health. I assure you I am well versed in the misery of chronic illness!

It's important to realize that what you are hearing here is not always 'Ray's approach' but simply our understanding of him. It's not always entirely accurate nor does it always reflect what he would personally recommend. Its many peoples experience that Ray is more right than he is wrong and in my opinion it's a big mistake to dismiss what he is saying based on the people who are interested in his views.

Often people do not succeed with 'Peat approaches' because they do not understand them, have an understandable reluctance or ability to make changes that go against long term habits or are relying on 3rd party voices. It's very common and unfortunately seems to happen more often on this forum as it has grown. No offence to the forum owners here, it's just the result of Peat becoming more popular.

Now, I didn't realize you had experimented with thyroid before as you hadn't mentioned it in this thread, as far as I could tell, and I haven't read any of your other threads.

You say this problem reared its head when you were 14 and over a very short period of time. Was there anything significant going on around that time you can remember? A bout of food poisoning or the like? Glandular fever or some kind of significant illness?

Have you tried any antibiotics?

Last edited:
OP
D

Dan77

I suffered daily for most of my life, with a good part of that spent in bed watching my youth go by without me, subjecting myself to every fad diet,supplement and orthodox medical approach available at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars and often at the worsening of my health. I assure you I am well versed in the misery of chronic illness!

It's important to realize that what you are hearing here is not always 'Ray's approach' but simply our understanding of him. It's not always entirely accurate nor does it always reflect what he would personally recommend. Its many peoples experience that Ray is more right than he is wrong and in my opinion it's a big mistake to dismiss what he is saying based on the people who are interested in his views.

Often people do not succeed with 'Peat approaches' because they do not understand them, have an understandable reluctance or ability to make changes that go against long term habits or are relying on 3rd party voices. It's very common and unfortunately seems to happen more often on this forum as it has grown. No offence to the forum owners here, it's just the result of Peat becoming more popular.

Now, I didn't realize you had experimented with thyroid before as you hadn't mentioned it in this thread, as far as I could tell, and I haven't read any of your other threads.

You say this problem reared its head when you were 14 and over a very short period of time. Was there anything significant going on around that time you can remember? A bout of food poisoning or the like? Glandular fever or some kind of significant illness?

Have you tried any antibiotics?

I’ve been in health long enough to know anyone who claims their way is the only way that’ll work is a liar. Ray Peat never claims his way is the only way. He’s a humble researcher, not guru, but some people turn him into one and take his opinion as gold, even despite new studies proving some of his opinions wrong...

Nothing against Peat. He’s awesome. But people need to look at the facts, not who says them.

I have done 3 rounds of antibiotics at 16 for H-Pylori but noticed nothing different afterwards.

There was nothing weird that happened at 14. Just normal living. Although you can scroll up and see the conversation between Redsun and I, which thinks that the excessive zinc/B-complex a family member of mine gave me could have caused all of my health issues unknowingly through excessive methylation.

However, important to note, I did as a child have brain fog come and go.
Some days I would get great marks within my classes and feel School is to easy, I was quite well at math, actually. while some other days was totally brain fogged and feelings of depersonalization(feeling like nothing is real). As a kid, I naturally thought “maybe i’m Just tired”, but years later look back at it and see it was brain fog. Why did it come and go, even on a day to day basis? Wish I knew...

I now have that brain fog but all day, and with never ending, ravenous, absolutely insatiable hunger/appetite, with brain fog, derealization, headaches, and blurry vision.
If that weren’t bad enough, insomnia, urticaria, IBS, and joint pain as the sprinkle on top

Sounds like blood sugar? Nope. My blood sugar is always normal. Tested over 100x times. 5 times at the lab. 100 times with glucose meter. Day. Night. Fasting. 2 hours after eating. You name it.

So. My health has clearly always been in a slow silent rut, until it came full blown at 14.

EDIT: And yes, my temperature is perfect. I’m always warm, hands/feet warm, body warm.

Last edited by a moderator:

thomas00

However, important to note, I did as a child have brain fog come and go.
Some days I would get great marks within my classes and feel School is to easy, I was quite well at math, actually. while some other days was totally brain fogged and feelings of depersonalization(feeling like nothing is real). As a kid, I naturally thought “maybe i’m Just tired”, but years later look back at it and see it was brain fog. Why did it come and go, even on a day to day basis? Wish I knew...

I now have that brain fog but all day, and with never ending, ravenous, absolutely insatiable hunger/appetite, with brain fog, derealization, headaches, and blurry vision.
If that weren’t bad enough, insomnia, urticaria, IBS, and joint pain as the sprinkle on top

Have you considered an antibiotic trial, maybe something like rifaximin? Gut issues are capable of producing those kind of symptoms.

OP
D

Dan77

Have you considered an antibiotic trial, maybe something like rifaximin? Gut issues are capable of producing those kind of symptoms.

Do I need a prescription for it?

Any tests to confirm gut bugs are the culprit?

thomas00

Do I need a prescription for it?

Any tests to confirm gut bugs are the culprit?

You can get it on prescription for gut issues, depending on where you live. It's also available online. There are other options if you can't get it.

There is the SIBO test and comprehensive stool analysis. I don't know of others. They are somewhat useful, but limited.

OP
D

Dan77

You can get it on prescription for gut issues, depending on where you live. It's also available online. There are other options if you can't get it.

There is the SIBO test and comprehensive stool analysis. I don't know of others. They are somewhat useful, but limited.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to a functional medical doctor in a few months time and will essentially throw money at as many tests I can. Take as many treatments as possible, whether for SIBO, infections, DNA testing, or whatever it takes.

Life is to short to spend here on depressing health forums.
You guys are all awesome and share fascinating knowledge, but eventually we have to move on and get better.

thomas00

A few other suggestions if you are aiming at your gut, which is what I would do:

Minocycline, doxycycline, amoxicillin, camphasol, cascara, niacinamide, cypro, methylene blue, flowers of sulphur. There's charcoal and daily raw carrots for something easy to access.

Hans

Forum Supporter
How dose activated charcoal affect you? Did you try cyproheptadine?
Pretty good. I get a good overall reduction in inflammation and complete fast bowel movements with a ghost wipe. Other benefits include clearer vision, better mood, less water retention, faster wound healing and clearer mind. Those are probably the most noticeable ones. I have not tried cypro and I'm not sure if I will, just because I feel like I don't need it.

dlind70

My two cents you are dangerously low in vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid that is an acid in the body and it makes you sleep so that and vitamin d will cause you to sleep. it sounds like you just have a lack of sleep man your own words answered your own question you feel tired; that means you need more sleep and you need at least 8 hours and good REM sleep in which you're dreaming and you'll know you're dreaming because you'll have the images at the height of the dre cycle. In the very morning when your needing the most healing deep delta wave sleep. Some people can actually go into Delta wave when they're awake and that's for night shift workers who know what they're doing. So to summarize vitamin B5 foods and vitamin d on the gut if vitamin d synergizes with your stomach you can get better sleep that night if you live in a colder climate it's harder to do.

Last edited:

dlind70

You have the headaches and the brain fog because the brain is not healing correctly so the deep Delta sleep will have to do it it's going to take time it's not a one night thing. For many people sleep is easy and some it comes harder. If you don't believe me there's research on YouTube with vitamin B5 and vitamin D from the sun being synergistic

HeyThere

Wow, I know this is an old thread, but I see so much of myself in Dan77's experience, but on a slightly lesser level, but not much as it has affected my whole adult life and made it hell.

My 2 cents:

This ISN'T the cause, but I feel the absolute worst with this scenario (like he is describing) 90% of the time after a night of having to take a tiny amount of Benadryl. His description to a T. It's miserable. I can tell the benadryl switched "that switch" and my gut and intestines are making me feel a hunger that feels desperate, and sometimes I don't feel back to normal until I eat and then a bowel movement happens. It's on panic-level misery.

And YES, when I am off balance like he describes, I feel BEST when I had a miserable night of "sleep", and when I slept well I feel groggier and miserable the next day. Been commenting on this weirdness to my coworkers for years!!

I suspect the answer lies somewhere in here, per my own experience:

- Histamine (too high). (Also explains the hives)
Histamine is involved with digestion. DAO affects digestion and affects Histamine production, enzymes are involved as well.
Histamine can be both an excitatory AND something that can make you feel exhausted and MASSIVELY brain-fogged.

- Issues with GLUTAMATE (a brain excitatory).

"Glutamate can be used as an energy source when glucose levels — the main source of energy — are low. Chemical messenger. Glutamate allows chemical messages to be sent between nerve cells. Sleep-wake cycle manager. According to animal studies, glutamate levels are high when you're awake and during the rapid eye movement (REM) phase of sleep."

"The Side Effects of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) - Eat This Not That
This surge of insulin causes your blood sugar to plummet and your hunger to return — with a vengeance. But MSG isn't just in your takeout; it's also in fast-food and seemingly healthy groceries. And, what's worse, skipping products with MSG on the ingredients label won't clear this additive from your diet."

- Adrenals might be shot from the constant high Histamine issues and lack of proper sleep, and dealing with the whole thing.

- I, personally, have issues with SALICYLATES. When foods I eat fill my "Salicylate bucket" Histamine kicks in as a reaction and I go downhill fast.. the brain fog is outrageous, the exhaustion, get the migraine spots in my eyes, itch like crazy (arms and legs), get severely depressed, it's a whole thing. Have to wait til it passes, used to take a week, now years later it can take a month or more.

HeyThere

This may sound trite, but how is your hydration?

Hydration affects Histamine, 100%, as well as many other things.

Came back to add that Vitamin C is almost impossible for me to take as well. Have tried SO many diff sources. It makes my mast cells swell up and I get weak and all the mast celly stuff with it. It's said Vit C lowers Histamine, but for me it makes mine explode.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals