Conspiracy or Fact? Purple LED Streetlights coming to a town near you.

Perry Staltic

Awake locals are concerned or suspicious of these on public transportation. From my understanding Dade County has given no explanation. My guess is Broward hasn’t either. There is no campaign. And if it’s in Dade and Broward I assume it will move north to West Palm then west to Tampa etc. I am sure someone from that area can glean light on this (pun unintended). I trust nothing from any media outlet.

Are the busses currently purple or did that happen at an earlier time?

Perry Staltic

The purple lights on busses could be an attempt to lessen violent behavior of psycho riders

WHEN children under detention at the San Bernardino County Probation Department in California become violent, they are put in an 8-foot by 4-foot cell with one distinctive feature - it is bubble gum pink. The children tend to relax, stop yelling and banging and often fall asleep within 10 minutes, said Paul E. Boccumini, director of clinical services for the department.

This approach to calming manic and psychotic juveniles contrasts sharply with the use of brute force favored as little as three years ago. ''We used to have to literally sit on them,'' said Mr. Boccumini, a clinical psychologist. ''Now we put them in the pink room. It works.''

Momma

btw it may just be my computer, but those bus lights look blue, not purple
I agree it’s a bluish hue. Could be several factors. I do know it’s new and without explanation. I’m sure someone knows something to lend here.

OP
Peatful

Peatful

JamesGatz

The purple lights on busses could be an attempt to lessen violent behavior of psycho riders

This makes the most sense honestly given my experience with purple and/or black light

I really don't like the way it feels - I could see how it reduces violent behavior but it makes me feel like a drone or zombie - just makes me depressed and sleepy - probably why they like to use it so much

OP
Peatful

Peatful

amd

The Great Purpling

In the case of Duke Power, the color shift has affected only about 1% of the LED streetlights that the utility had installed. Still, that amounts to some 5,000 lights across the country. So what's causing the Purple Reign?

It turns out the problem is upstream. Over the past decade or so, the LED light business has consolidated, and a company called Acuity Brands now dominates the US market. Every city with purple lights that responded to my queries or has public records on the matter bought its LED lights from Acuity. And from 2017 to 2019, it seems, Acuity had a problem — right where technology and globalism overlap.

Representatives of the affected cities offer a little more detail. "The purple streetlights are a result of the phosphor coating delaminating from the LEDs," says Fiona Hughes, a representative for the city of Vancouver. Brooks, of Duke Power, points to the same cause. "There's a laminate on the fixture that gives it its white color," he says. "As that laminate began to degrade, it caused the color tint to change toward purple."

But what caused the delamination? The most likely culprit is heat damage. The phosphor layer in an LED package, as it happens, is really sensitive to temperature changes. Even the tiniest mistakes in assembly or installation can make LEDs more likely to heat up. That can cause the edges of the phosphor coating to curl, peeling away from the LED chip and allowing more of the native blue to leak through. It can also change the chemical structure of the phosphor itself, which in turn would change the color the LED emits.

You can avoid most manufacturing problems, of course, if you're willing to pay for quality.

That's one reason the purpling could be a big deal. It shines a light on how deeply LEDs, especially the cheap white ones, have become interwoven into the global economy. Sure, Acuity has probably fixed the issue and is replacing all the lights. But what happens next time some company in south China solders something wrong and a wave of broken tech propagates across the planet? It's streetlights this time; next time it could be phones, TVs, medical devices.

Streetlights and street lighting are a city's deep infrastructure. If they can break in such a weird and unexpected way, so can everything else.

Back
Top Bottom